• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

edifice.

It's just finished. Taped last night in the government buildings with Ivan Yates. Well worth tracking down the podcast simply because he doesn't do that many of them.

A very assured performance. I remember listening to him during the second Lisbon discussions and thinking he should be more active on the radio. Very commanding, on point and confident in his actions.

Main things to come from it:

1. No deal done with any FF ministers according to him. He's fully planning to lead the party into the next election, and if anyone has an issue with that "They know what the process is" which is to get the 18 signatures from the party and call a vote.

2. Spoke of his admiration for Alan Dukes in the 80s and his actions to support the government. Without using the words "Tallaght Strategy" he very clearly stated that whether in power or out, FF would support whoever was implementing the 4 year plan.

3. No apology or backing down over the IMF's return. He's happy with his communication.

4. The move for an election will be down to his decision and will take place once the legislation for the budget is signed off.

It's impossible to believe he'll lead FF into the next election, but it really was a good interview from him. Certainly didn't avoid any questions. You can see his electoral skills are there, and he's looking forward to tearing labour apart, but he had nothing negative to say about FG.
It was widely reported that those in the liferafts closest to the Titanic as it went down could clearly hear the Captain giving a robust defence of his decision to ignore ice warnings. 'I take full responsibility for all my decisions. As soon as the iceberg hit us I took decisive action to ensure that the first class bondholders were the first to the liferafts.' The rest became gurgled. The ship sank.

hurricane

very narky with Sean o Rourke today on the news at one..he rejected "with contempt" the assertion that fianna fail were in the "peoples pockets", its a pity he wasn't reminded of...Haughey..Callely...O Flynn...Cooper flynn...Ahern...Foley...Lawlor...Burke.. the list goes on.

A cornered rat springs to mind when I heard him today

Catalpa

You're obviously a fan of the Clowen then Sync?
I didn't hear it but from time to time he's on form

- when he is prepared.

Caught off guard he is all bluff & bluster.

As for leading the Charge of the FFlight Brigade

- his underlings might be better letting him out in front to take the heat and they can pick up the pieces after its all over

They will have plenty of time on the backbenches to fight over the scraps...

florin

2. Spoke of his admiration for Alan Dukes in the 80s and his actions to support the government. Without using the words "Tallaght Strategy" he very clearly stated that whether in power or out, FF would support whoever was implementing the 4 year plan.
But it's an FF plan, why would they oppose it?

4. The move for an election will be down to his decision and will take place once the legislation for the budget is signed off.
No, Brian, it's the Greens' decision.

consultant

Cowen has the ability to very effectively attack opponents and their policies. He is a very shrewd and capable politician of the old school.

In 2007, his late intervention in the election campaign together with Bertie's annihilation of Kenny in the Leaders' Debate turned pending defeat into a salvageable situation (with the intervention of the greens).

But his intervention then WAS late. It was also very sharp, direct and consisted of focussed attack on Labour, FG and their respective leaders. It was not a sustained, campaign-long performance.

This time, Cowen has gone into attack mode very early and I would question his ability to sustain it for a protacted period. Also, Gilmour's comment today that the campaign will be fought on the basis of FF failures was significant. Sounds like Labour at least have learnt the lesson of the 2007 campaign.

Plus, there is no possible Shangri-La myth that FF can dangle anymore.

dalywise

very narky with Sean o Rourke today on the news at one..he rejected "with contempt" the assertion that fianna fail were in the "peoples pockets", its a pity he wasn't reminded of...Haughey..Callely...O Flynn...Cooper flynn...Ahern...Foley...Lawlor...Burke.. the list goes on.

A cornered rat springs to mind when I heard him today
yes indeed. Haughey used to reject all criticism "with contempt". Sheer arrogance. Cowen no different.

Tomas Mor

Yates is a bluffer interviewer, would not hold a candle to Sean O Rourke. And because of his FG past he has to pull his punches. Knows whats wrong with the country, but when he had a chance to do something he ran away. He could be leader possibly if he stayed but chose not to.

Mitsui2

The country is BANKRUPT. Are you living in a bubble? Get real. We have an unsustainable national debt (with a likely default), 460,000 unemployed, a broken banking system and thousands emigrating. Would you call that coming good would you?
Hey, go easy, punchdrunk - there's still over a million employed that they haven't got round to ruining fully yet, and the poor, blind, sick and widowed still have a few quid to pilfer.

There may be a lot of us done, but they still have a lot more to do.

anewbeginning

It's a shame Cowen wasn't this good when it really mattered, in the period 2004 - 2009.

Now he's only doing a lap of honour.

It's also amazing that he suddenly puts a spurt on when there is an election around the corner.

The guy makes me sick at this stage as do all the Fianna Fail front bench.

Lazy and lethargic and turning a blind eye for 90% of the time, and then suddenly make an effort when their seats are in danger or there is possibility they will lose power.

Hopeless, the lot of them. I hope the winding down of FF follows soon after the winding down of Anglo Irish Bank.

uriah

Yates is a bluffer interviewer, would not hold a candle to Sean O Rourke. And because of his FG past he has to pull his punches. Knows whats wrong with the country, but when he had a chance to do something he ran away. He could be leader possibly if he stayed but chose not to.
Yates is an ignorant, right-wing, mysongonistic mé féiner.
He ran away from political life because he wasn't very good at it and because he thought there was more money to be made in the private sector.
Mind you, he took his public sector pension of +€48,000 (pin money) with him.

Dubstudent

Where was this Brian Cowen when he was needed? That interview was the best I've ever heard him, shame as it is too little too late.

Econdo

Brian followed up the morning interview with a very assured interview on new at one and again on PT last night.... The man is in fighting form...

Cassandra Syndrome

Could a mod please move this thread to the Zoo section.

I find it offensive that one of the architects in the destruction of this country has a thread enshrining him as some sort of hero.

ellie08

I wish he'd stop flapping his hands around so much, He's like a little child trying to get a point across.

Tomas Mor

Yates is an ignorant, right-wing, mysongonistic mé féiner.
He ran away from political life because he wasn't very good at it and because he thought there was more money to be made in the private sector.
Mind you, he took his public sector pension of +€48,000 (pin money) with him.
Quite right, and he is certainly mysogonistic- dont know how he gets away with it. He is a bluffer to boot, wonder how his betting shops are going ?

leroy42

it is threads such as these whoich makes me question the future of this country.

Can you imagine if a drug dealer destoyed an entire city, ran people out of their homes, picked on the sick, elderly and poor, took peoples social welfare books away, and then handed everything over to some foreign based gang.

But once faced with jail he came out and said he was sorry for anybody that felt they had been hard done by. Felt sorry that he was not doing as well as he thought he would.

Would any of you be praising that person? By all accounts Cowen and his FF mates have done as much damage but after a few interviews, no doubt well handled by the PR advisors that we as taxpayers fund, people on here seem to be saying that he got his mojo back!!!

Jesus wept! The fact that he now decides to face the people only highlights the fact that he has no regard for the country, his and FF's only priority is FF, and trying to cling to power. Where was he the last few years, where was he when Bertie was lying to the tribunal, where was he when the banks were lying to us, where was he when the by-elections were being denied.

Where was he when Callely and others were caught out defrauding the state? Where was he when wee Willie was caught lying on an avidavit. Where was he when millions were wasted on e-voting machines, massive overspend on Luas etc. Where was he when the floods effected so many last year? Where was he when the economy fell apart, after he had said that FF were the only ones to be trusted to look after it?????

He is only giving interviews now because elections are coming up, not because he thinks te people deserve a comment, not because he fells he owes an apology. Ther is no doubt that he, and FF are better at htis politics game than the others. We don't need 'politics' right now, we need elections, leadership and people with a desire to do what is right.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom