• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Brian Cowen Star is Falling

DaveDublin

Up until a few months ago I would have though BRian Cowen was a dead cert for next leader of FF.

All seems to have changed. On Q&A a few weeks ago he was a disaster. He wont fund the 0.7%. He just comes across as grumpy.

I cant imagine people backing him as Taoiseach.

Am I alone in changing my opinion?

Pidge

To be honest, I haven't heard anything from him. In Foreign Affairs he was in the papers a lot; meeting people, going places etc.

But in Finance, he's got a much lower profile. I'd like to see him in Justice, with his legal backround it wouldn't be a bad idea.

DaveDublin

I honestly dont have a clue. But if I was a backbench TD worrying about finding a leader who would bring mass support and secure seat I would not be backing cowen.

There are a number M. Hannafin - bit inexperienced yet but ok
Dermot Ahern - solid, tough and likeable.
now it gets tough.....
mmmm
mmmmmm
eh
cant think of any more

BarryW

Cowen is still a dead cert for the FF leadership - even though he has vanished off the political map in recent months.

Mainly due to the fact that his one-time-rival, Micheal Martin, has been shown up as an incompetent, surly and even childish Minister - who could well be even more unpopular with the voters than Bertie is at the moment (some acheivement!).

When the other choices are bumbling idiots like Noel Dempsey and Dermot Ahern, pompous windbags like Dick Roche, and preachy know-it-alls like Mary Hanafin, then Cowen is laughing all the way to the bank

DaveDublin

Barry - so you like cowen!!!

wouldnt say others are bumbling idiots.

This will all come down to votes - and cowen aint going to deliver votes.

BarryW

DaveDublin said:
Barry - so you like cowen!!!
Nope- but his leadership of FF will be a great boost to Fine Gael and LAbour.

Imagine his posters up on polls next to Enda! Who would look more appealling?!

duff

he actually does look like the devil :lol:

Arnó

Unless Cowen decides to streak across the dáíl any time soon he will be leader of FF.

Martin, Dempsey are the only other people considering challenging. Martin has taken a few steps down the ladder because of opposition hounding, while Dempsey has strong support within the party. I'm surprised to hear Dermot Ahern being mentioned. But personally I think he would be good.

Although who knows what will happen, it will be after the next election anyhow and things can change. As things stand. Cowen is mister populor in the party, especially after the last buget and he is one of the best politicians in the dáil, he wipes the floor with Rabbit and Kenny. His cons are that he comes across as a grumpy politicain, where as someone like Martin comes across better. This is a factor that come into play but for the moment, there is only one ship in town.

podger

How is Dermot Ahern a bumbling idiot?

I'd have thought he was one of the more intelligent voices in FF. His knowledge on Northern Ireland affairs is formidable; his diplomatic skills have recently been rewarded at international level; he has been a pretty safe pair of hands in any ministry he has held, he's usually good on tv appearances and...he windsurfs!

BarryW said:
Cowen is still a dead cert for the FF leadership - even though he has vanished off the political map in recent months.

Mainly due to the fact that his one-time-rival, Micheal Martin, has been shown up as an incompetent, surly and even childish Minister - who could well be even more unpopular with the voters than Bertie is at the moment (some acheivement!).

When the other choices are bumbling idiots like Noel Dempsey and Dermot Ahern, pompous windbags like Dick Roche, and preachy know-it-alls like Mary Hanafin, then Cowen is laughing all the way to the bank

Parnell

podger said:
How is Dermot Ahern a bumbling idiot?

I'd have thought he was one of the more intelligent voices in FF. His knowledge on Northern Ireland affairs is formidable; his diplomatic skills have recently been rewarded at international level; he has been a pretty safe pair of hands in any ministry he has held, he's usually good on tv appearances and...he windsurfs!
Just like John Kerry :D Now there's a recipe for success.

Collinsite

How about Noel Ahern??
I think the novelty of the dddithering has finally worn off and will never be the force that it once was...

Dermot Ahern may be popular within FF but outside of the party he come across as arrogant and headstrong.He sits in the Dail with that smug know it all grin agreeing with every thing Bertie says while some of his remarks at the FF Ard Fheis were proven way wide of the mark.Can't see such a man appealing to the people as a possible Taoiseach.

DaveDublin

re Dermot Ahern -having spoken to people today (I admit most were shinners) I think you are wrong.

When the EU were talking about allowing market forces takining care of broadband, Dermot Ahern intervened and argued (successfully) that the State must b allowed invest €85 million to build Broadband networks in every town over 1500 population in state.

As Minister for Social Welfare he provided pensions for all those emigrants who left the state pre-1953.

In foreign affairds he has set the NI agenda - reclaimed the republicanism tag from the shinners. We call them the Provisional Movement now because of Dermot!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies