• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Brian Crowley caught out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malbekh

Ha!

Here I was travelling through the rebel county and note that there are two posters for Brian Cowley.

In the first one, we have Brian with a prominent FF logo, a strong mention of his running mate and Fianna Fail strongly printed on the back.

In the second one, we have Brian with a teeny-weeny FF logo with no mention of a running mate and Brian Crowley mentioned on the back.

No prizes for guessing which poster is the more recent one eh?

Yup, much to my surprise and admiration it's the one with the strong FF logo and mention of his running mate (Ned O'Keefe).

One of those occasions where you have to doff your hat

HughinBandon

He did something right?????? Your kidding me!

Rebus2008

i've often wondered about the electoral popularity of brian crowley.

I've rarely heard him in nationalk media discussing any european orr national issue of note.
I can understand the gombeen olitics that delivers us massive votes for the likes of michael martin or lowry as they can deliver at local level regarding new sportsffields or broken streetlights or lotto grants.

Why is he immune to the FF backlash and what has he done to achieve the massive votes prior to the current economic difficulties that are hampering FF.

I have a suspicion as to why he gets the big votes - a pat on the head every 5 years for the local lad who done good overcoming his disability.

CookieMonster

He's got strong support down South so he's unlikely to be under much pressure, logo or no logo. I dunno what he's like politically but his wee performance in Prague Castle a few months ago didn't impress many I know.

HughinBandon

You're spot on. They wheeled him out to try to scare people into voting in favour of the Lisbon Treaty but apart from that he has been as anonymous as any other MEP.

His mother is a really lovely person though. She must be so disappointed.

Malbekh

i've often wondered about the electoral popularity of brian crowley.

Why is he immune to the FF backlash and what has he done to achieve the massive votes prior to the current economic difficulties that are hampering FF.

I have a suspicion as to why he gets the big votes - a pat on the head every 5 years for the local lad who done good overcoming his disability.
What disability is this?

The impression I get from the citizens of Cork is that he seems unique amongst MEP's in keeping very strong ties at a local level. The best of both worlds.

TommyO'Brien

his wee performance in Prague Castle a few months ago didn't impress many I know.
That is like Brian Cowen doing a poll among his cabinet colleagues and concluding that FF are highly popular and respected! :p

Given the people you hang around with, how is that a surprise?

patronsaint

It's the disability that people vote for. Did you ever hear him in debate ? He makes Donie Cassidy sound like Einstein. Won't be satisfied until he gets to the Park. Then his blandness will be right at home.

eastcorklocal

Your better off voting for someone working for disabled people that would be sinnott. crowley was one of the only Irish MEP not to turn up for the 1million4disability rally in brussels a year and a half ago.

TradCat

It has nothing to do with that. He's an excellent guy. I remember him playing in bands years ago. You'd notice the wheelchair when you saw him first but he just ignored it and so you would too. I'll be voting Sinnot and Ferris but Crowley's popularity doesn't surprise me at all.

He's not a political heavyweight of course but he is very likeable. Just like Obama.

eoinod

It has nothing to do with that. He's an excellent guy. I remember him playing in bands years ago. You'd notice the wheelchair when you saw him first but he just ignored it and so you would too. I'll be voting Sinnot and Ferris but Crowley's popularity doesn't surprise me at all.

He's not a political heavyweight of course but he is very likeable. Just like Obama.
I am reeling in shock.. please say misread... are you comparing Crowley to Obama?

Reactions: myk

Proposition Joe

I'm from the same neck of the woods and would know him from way back (pre-MEP, even pre-disability).

He is actually a very personable chap.

And that lies at the root of his popularity. Not the patronizing pat-on-the-head that some posters on this thread seem to assume.

I'm no FF apologist BTW, quite the opposite in fact.

Malbekh

Ah I see. He's wheelchair bound.

Sorry, but I don't get it. If people think his popularity is based purely on his disability, we'd have a parliament full of special needs individuals.

Moving swiftly on....

Seriously, this guy gets record percentages in popularity year on year. He must be doing something right.

Rebus2008

"very likeable" thanks you've just confirmed me thoughts.

I've no doubt he could be fine decent guy but the fact that despite having no presence on the national stage over last 5 years and having made no impact at all outside of his local ward, he is immune to the tainting of FF.

Only one reason for that - the sympathy vote. Maybe its a good a reason as any I guess.

TradCat

Rebus2008

I don't get why DeRossa is popular but I assume it's more than the stutter. If you don't get Crowley's popularity then that's ok. Don't assume it has to be the wheelchair.

Ah Well

Very true ... Crowley is well liked and that counts for quite a bit in his popularity round Ireland South

Middleaged

"very likeable" thanks you've just confirmed me thoughts.

I've no doubt he could be fine decent guy but the fact that despite having no presence on the national stage over last 5 years and having made no impact at all outside of his local ward, he is immune to the tainting of FF.

Only one reason for that - the sympathy vote. Maybe its a good a reason as any I guess.
Rebus, he work's in Europe, his "local ward" is Europe, that's why he's running again for Europe.

A "sympathy vote" would be for someone who ensured that all children under 18, irrespective of ability, have a constitutional right to primary education, didn't become a TD but became an MEP,then turn out to be a complete, NOTHING.......

HughinBandon

Originally posted by Malbekh:
Seriously, this guy gets record percentages in popularity year on year. He must be doing something right.
When you find out would you let me know?

MsAnneThrope

Brian Crowley MEP and the President of the UEN group in the European Parliament believes the harmonisation of battery chargers for mobile phones will hugely benefit Munster consumers.
But if ye are from Connaught, Leinster or Ulster ye are fecked :)

1 charger for all mobile phones - MEP Brian Crowley

It reminds me of the late Jim Kemmy's statement when the first Gulf War broke out in 1990. It led to the headline in the Limerick Leader "Kemmy says Gulf War will push up petrol prices in Limerick"

Only in Ireland :)

In 15 years of having Brian Crowley as our MEP I cannot think of one identifiable achievement he has "delivered" for Munster.

At the risk of being called out for being a partisan, I would say that Colm Burke is the only MEP that took up an issue of particular relevance to my own area (which I won't get into here) and has been in general a superb advocate for our community. Sinnott to give her fair dues has been reasonably helpful as well.

The secret to Crowley's impregnable vote is his personality. I've never heard any one have a bad word to say about him, he appears to be universally liked in Munster, and in fairness to him he does a reasonable job of keeping in touch in the provincial Munster media however not nearly as good a job as Colm Burke though who delivers a comprehensive weekly bulletin of updates and information.

Status
Not open for further replies.