• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Brian Hayes earns praise for Dail speech

Brian Hayes is a controversial politician. Some people love him. Others hate him. But all sides agree that his performance in the Dail debate on ABA services was exceptional, with his unscripted speech at the end of the debate regarded across the Dail as a tour de force. With his party's TDs all on the Fine Gael benches (Fine Gael's turnout was in dramatic contrast to the government's empty benches) he delivered a rousing speech that drew cheers from the public gallery and also was listened to intently by those Fianna Fail TDs there.

Hayes's performance was widely spoken of the moment he went from being a controversial middle-ranking performer to being a first ranker, delivering a speech that produced a reaction of "wow. That was extraordinary" among politicians from all parties in the Dail bar afterwards.

Was last night the day Hayes turned into a very credible politician?

adrem

He's long been touted as a top performer but (to be honest) I have yet to see what all the fuss was about. Perhaps this latest speech will sway me - it'll have to be extraordinary !

antagoniser

He was always a very credible politician. Can you watch it on the Oireachtas website or Oireachtas Report?

Sidewinder

He'll have to get over his deeply-entrenched Partitionist (on occasion veering into outright anti-Nordie raving) instincts before I'll take Hayes seriously.

Sorry, but I just don't care if he made a good speech or has good policies on education or health or the economy. As long as he regards me as not Irish because I was born in the North I don't want him in power.

Apparatchik

Tribunaljunkie said:
Brian Hayes is a controversial politician. Some people love him. Others hate him. But all sides agree that his performance in the Dail debate on ABA services was exceptional, with his unscripted speech at the end of the debate regarded across the Dail as a tour de force. With his party's TDs all on the Fine Gael benches (Fine Gael's turnout was in dramatic contrast to the government's empty benches) he delivered a rousing speech that drew cheers from the public gallery and also was listened to intently by those Fianna Fail TDs there.

Hayes's performance was widely spoken of the moment he went from being a controversial middle-ranking performer to being a first ranker, delivering a speech that produced a reaction of "wow. That was extraordinary" among politicians from all parties in the Dail bar afterwards.

Was last night the day Hayes turned into a very credible politician?
God you need one.

UnitedIreland

Sidewinder said:
He'll have to get over his deeply-entrenched Partitionist (on occasion veering into outright anti-Nordie raving) instincts before I'll take Hayes seriously.

Sorry, but I just don't care if he made a good speech or has good policies on education or health or the economy. As long as he regards me as not Irish because I was born in the North I don't want him in power.
he does not regard u as not irish. he just doesnt see the point in fine gael running up north. he believes we need to work in conjunction with the parties already there in cementing the peace process before we even think about trying to unify ireland. the economics and politics have to be right for everybody. bcoz quite simply, as the SDLP put it, unionists are part of Ireland too.

The Collective.

Brian Hayes is an amazing politician. Any links to the speach?

Also when is Apparatchik going to be banned?

antagoniser

For God's sake man will you give us a link or at least more information to find a link!

antagoniser said:
He was always a very credible politician. Can you watch it on the Oireachtas website or Oireachtas Report?
I don't know. It should be somewhere. I was watching it on the Dail website live and was struck by how good it was. I spoke to an ABA activist today who was in the Dail bar and who heard a number of TDs, including FF TDs, talking about how impressive a speech it was (it would have been impressive in the House of Commons, let alone the Dail where standards of debate are so low). One Fianna Fail was in the Dail bar with a constituency group and was overheard saying that in the bar people couldn't hear what was being said with the sound down, but could see it, saw that it looking a superb performance. He was asking whether it sounded as well as it looked, and was told it did. The ABA campaigners were genuinely impressed by it.

So many members of the public turned up for the debate the public gallery apparently couldn't accommodate them. School classes brought up to see the Dail in action had to be accommodated in side rooms with television screens and apparently were on their feet cheering at the end. I noticed on the web shots of the 10 or so FF TDs there. Normally TDs at 9 at night, would be nodding off, or talking. But every one of them was listening intently. When he finished he got cheered from the public gallery (not often that happens!).

I have known that Hayes is competent but I didn't realise until last night he could be such a powerful speaker. It looked particularly impressive because all the rows of seats around him were filled with Fine Gael TDs, and so speaking to a seventy TDs rather than 7 may also have energised him. He also didn't seem to be speaking from a script but was adlibbing and picking up things said in the debate, pulling together themes to give an overall summary of the arguments. It was interesting to watch on the web. I'd love to have been in Leinster House to have seen it. But the debate, the large number of TDs taking part, the fact that there was a lot of TDs in the chamber, and the speech he gave apparently created quite a buzz, or so the ABA activists said. The schoolchildren in the place apparently loved the debate and loved his speech. They supposedly left the Dail very impressed, something that does not often happen in Leinster House.

antagoniser

Tribunaljunkie said:
antagoniser said:
I don't know. It should be somewhere. I was watching it on the Dail website live and was struck by how good it was. I spoke to an ABA activist today who was in the Dail bar and who heard a number of TDs, including FF TDs, talking about how impressive a speech it was (it would have been impressive in the House of Commons, let alone the Dail where standards of debate are so low). One Fianna Fail was in the Dail bar with a constituency group and was overheard saying that in the bar people couldn't hear what was being said with the sound down, but could see it, saw that it looking a superb performance. He was asking whether it sounded as well as it looked, and was told it did. The ABA campaigners were genuinely impressed by it.

So many members of the public turned up for the debate the public gallery apparently couldn't accommodate them. School classes brought up to see the Dail in action had to be accommodated in side rooms with television screens and apparently were on their feet cheering at the end. I noticed on the web shots of the 10 or so FF TDs there. Normally TDs at 9 at night, would be nodding off, or talking. But every one of them was listening intently. When he finished he got cheered from the public gallery (not often that happens!).

I have known that Hayes is competent but I didn't realise until last night he could be such a powerful speaker. It looked particularly impressive because all the rows of seats around him were filled with Fine Gael TDs, and so speaking to a seventy TDs rather than 7 may also have energised him. He also didn't seem to be speaking from a script but was adlibbing and picking up things said in the debate, pulling together themes to give an overall summary of the arguments. It was interesting to watch on the web. I'd love to have been in Leinster House to have seen it. But the debate, the large number of TDs taking part, the fact that there was a lot of TDs in the chamber, and the speech he gave apparently created quite a buzz, or so the ABA activists said. The schoolchildren in the place apparently loved the debate and loved his speech. They supposedly left the Dail very impressed, something that does not often happen in Leinster House.
That sounds great. Was it today February 14th or yesterday February 13th?

antagoniser said:
Tribunaljunkie said:
antagoniser said:

That sounds great. Was it today February 14th or yesterday February 13th?
Would have been yesterday the 13th, around 9pm.

antagoniser

I have to say from reading it there is nothing extraordinary about it, but its all in the delivery I guess.

But whats that bit about a ginger group of backbenchers? :?

EDIT:
"I know a small ginger group of people exists within the Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Party who are unconvinced by the authoritarian stance of the Minister."

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies