• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Brian Hayes to leave politics!

Golden Phoenix

Just announced!

Brian Hayes will not stand for re-election.

Appointed Chief Executive of Irish Payments Federation.

Can anyone here assess his contribution as an MEP and former Minister?

Sync

Not a stupid guy. Made some controversial points in ill-thought out ways.

This move kind of makes sense, the best work he's done has been on getting the EU Pension stuff through the various stages required. That's actually something that will make things better for people and is there for the long term.

So job done: Move onto the private sector is a logical step.

Would have had more of an impact if he'd stuck with Kenny or if Bruton had won the pusch. But even then Kenny forgave him (to the extent that anyone forgives anyone) and put him into a high importance role at a critical time. Which tells you about how they viewed him internally if nothing else.

Golden Phoenix

Could Peter Casey possibly take his seat?

PBP voter

Too forthright to go any further.

PBP voter

Second Dublin MEP to retire, following Nessa Childers decision to go.
Didnt know that.

Dublin has gone from 3 to 4 seats.

FG and SF will both take a seat.

The other two seats are wide open. Greens,FF,Lab and Sol/PBP will all be desperate to get one.

locke

Second Dublin MEP to retire, following Nessa Childers decision to go.
The thing is I don't think it changes much

FG and SF will still win seats.

Childers was sitting on votes that are centre-left and her not standing will see a Labour/Green/Social Democrat/Centre Left Independent elected.

The last seat is still a bit of a free for all. Childers retiring does reduce the chances of a second Centre-Left seat, but that was only ever a possibility to go along with a FF seat and a left seat.

Golden Phoenix

If only Mary O'Rourke would retire (completely) now! :devilish:

automaticforthepeople

The thing is I don't think it changes much

FG and SF will still win seats.

Childers was sitting on votes that are centre-left and her not standing will see a Labour/Green/Social Democrat/Centre Left Independent elected.

The last seat is still a bit of a free for all. Childers retiring does reduce the chances of a second Centre-Left seat, but that was only ever a possibility to go along with a FF seat and a left seat.
Alex White is already a declared candidate for Labour, The Greens would need to have a heavy hitter running too. The RTE exit poll over the Presidential election shows Labour on 8% in Dublin with the Greens on 5% and Soc Dems on 3%. I reckon the soc dems will sit this out, so that between the Greens and Labour there is the scope to get into the race. Dublin will become a 4 seater so 20% is a quota.

Golden Phoenix

Alex White is already a declared candidate for Labour, The Greens would need to have a heavy hitter running too. The RTE exit poll over the Presidential election shows Labour on 8% in Dublin with the Greens on 5% and Soc Dems on 3%. I reckon the soc dems will sit this out, so that between the Greens and Labour there is the scope to get into the race. Dublin will become a 4 seater so 20% is a quota.
I suspect an anti-Establishment candidate would poll very strongly in Dublin.

Dame_Enda

Should there be a cooling off period between politicians retiring and serving on company boards, or serving as a CEO or Chairman?

Last edited:

locke

The Soc Dems have a bit of a bind here in that a campaign would be expensive (perhaps too expensive for them), but that if the Europeans came before the next Dáil election it could really boost the profile of a Dáil election candidate.

As you say The Greens need a big name candidate (and we can presume Ryan won't run again). I would imagine Gormley is out as he hasn't been involved in politics in a while and because he was one of the least popular politicians in the country when he lost his seat. Cuffe may be an option .

If that poll is right (there may be questions because Labour voters were more likely to vote for Michael D and then more likely to be in the exit poll), there is comfortably enough votes for whoever comes out on top of the three parties to get in on transfers between them and whatever else comes along.

locke

I suspect an anti-Establishment candidate would poll very strongly in Dublin.
In the European Elections, it's hard to get a profile. Last time, Ming and Childers managed that, but they had been a sitting TD and establishment MEP before that.

So the list of potential candidates is small. In the absence of a decent anti-establishment Independent, that vote should favour a Left candidate.

Paddyc

Casey won 56,766 votes in the Dublin constituencies (and Dun Laoghaire) an average of 15.34% in an election where Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael didn't run a candidate.

If he runs in Dublin, he's shot his bolt and I can't see him winning a seat, even in a four seater on those figures.

Sync

Should there be a cooling off period between politicians retiring and serving on company boards?
He's not serving on the board. He's going to be CEO. He'll be reporting the board. So essentially: An employee of the company.

Half Nelson

Should there be a cooling off period between politicians retiring and serving on company boards?
Are you suggesting a conflict of interest?

Surely not!

TheField

Not his fault entirely but I'd hazard a guess that the average citizen wouldn't have much of a clue as to what Brian Hayes has been up to in recent years and probably cares less?

Sync

Are you suggesting a conflict of interest?

Surely not!
I think (And someone who knows more than me can correct me) but there is a COI check that takes place for former European officials moving into the private sector.

As a rule of thumb though: MEP voting/ruling on non-compliance by a firm subsequently joining that firm: Clear COI

MEP publishing legislation which is voted on by the other MEPs and being ratified who then interviews and gets hired by a company impacted by that legislation: No COI. Not even by squinting.

And of course: No COI has been hinted at here, let alone demonstrated.

Golden Phoenix

Not his fault entirely but I'd hazard a guess that the average citizen wouldn't have much of a clue as to what Brian Hayes has been up to in recent years and probably cares less?
What do any of them do?

Nessa Childers?
Mairead McGuinness?
Luke Ming Flanagan?
Brian Crowley?
Lynn Boylan?

Do they really do nothing or is it just that they have a low profile?