• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Brian Lenihan Next Taoiseach?!

Frankie'sGirl

Can someone please tell me what on earth Brian Lenihan is being backed for in the Next Taoiseach market.

Paddy's have cut his odds to 33's and there's no doubt there's a rumour in the camp. He's only a Junior Minister - surely he can't be Taoiseach??? :shock:

Movealong

As I said elsewhere, the Mahon Tribunal could have a large bearing on who leads FF into government (if they get the numbers).

Whatuwant2007

lenihan is a legend....

maybe not this time.... he should become minister for justice this time and then a shot at the big one... :D

He is certainly capable. When DW is a 4 seater he will have to bring in a running mate an maybe then his chances wud improve. I wouldnt rule him out in about 8-10 years after the next FG govt.

johnfás

Not a chance he'd win the nomination of the party at this stage... Would be Cowen / Martin / Hannafin in my opinion.

varjak

I actually wouldn't mind him being Taoiseach, i must say (obviously I'd rather Rabbitte). Other than that I could tollorate Dempsey or Hannafin (although i'd rather not have her). I cannot stand Cowen and Martin and desperately hope they will never get the chance to lead this country

hiker

Frankie'sGirl said:
Can someone please tell me what on earth Brian Lenihan is being backed for in the Next Taoiseach market.

Paddy's have cut his odds to 33's and there's no doubt there's a rumour in the camp. He's only a Junior Minister - surely he can't be Taoiseach??? :shock:
Well Enda seems to think he can be, so why not Lenihan. :lol:

Johnny baby

He is a good guy - I like Lenihan - a touch of thr Jack Lynch about him - universally popular.

Ceacg

Lenihan is more then capable of being the leading man, the only problem is, I dont think that he has had enough ministeral experience yet. He also has not been minister for finance if that is anything to go by. I can see him doing the job one day, just not yet. I think Cowan is the man, I know people that are so anti FF, you think that they would burn all FFer's, but these people would think and in some cases, would vote FF, if Cowan was in the chair. They hate Bertie almost as much as they hate CJH. They say Cowan is old school, that he is what FF needs to bring itself make some cred and respect. They could be right. Cowan should be next then at some point Brian, but not that weasel of a brother of his.

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
I think its going to be between Cowan and Ahern (Dermot) next time around. Lenihan would be a good leader but not yet. it could be part of the reason he did not get far under Ahern

doctor_b

johnfás said:
Not a chance he'd win the nomination of the party at this stage... Would be Cowen / Martin / Hannafin in my opinion.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Dermot Ahern as a 'compromise candidate'.

clareangie

doctor_b said:
[quote="johnfás":m0f3jc33]Not a chance he'd win the nomination of the party at this stage... Would be Cowen / Martin / Hannafin in my opinion.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Dermot Ahern as a 'compromise candidate'.[/quote:m0f3jc33]

Brian Lenihan needs to get a few more years experience under his belt first, my bets are on Cowen, he is articulate & intelligent and the Finance Portfolio was one of the positions Bertie had before he became Taoiseach

kbc

Lenihan for Leader

Lenihan is undoubtedly leadership material. He has the type of calibre required to bring FF back to consummate greatness. Bertie will remain until halfway or so into his 3rd term, Cowen will replace him, then Lenihan.

achtungbarry

Whatuwant2007 said:
lenihan is a legend....

maybe not this time.... he should become minister for justice this time and then a shot at the big one... :D
Is this the same Lenihan that despite 10 years in government has not been able to push through a long promised primary school in the Ongar area ? My nephew and niece are still educated in a dank prefab (3 years now) far from home due to his failure. Not a single sod has been turned on the site of this school.

Is this the same Brian Lenihan who when pressed by my sister as to why the government had not made provision for a primary school in the area despite the 2000 odd homes built replied "We miscalculated fertility rates in the area" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said !

Is this the same Brian Lenihan who said to my mother when she answered the door to him : "Hello, is your husband in ?" and then tried to laugh of the subsequent tongue lashing by saying "Ah sure if your husband votes for me......so will you". I believe he was chased down the garden path.

The man doesn't deserve to be a TD let alone Taoiseach but tolerant softies that we are here in Ireland he will probably be returned on the first vote . :roll:

kbc

Hmmm, I doubt very much he asked if her husband was in. Come on?

Can't comment about the school in Ongar as I'm not living in the area. Suggest you tackle Mary Hanafin directly. Ongar is a relatively new area. schools and other infrastructure must follow houses. But with 3 children myself I share the frustration.

Murt

Bertie Aherne spotted Brian Lenihan as a future contender for his job years ago and a potential threat. Bright, affable, able to get on with both the urban and C&W TD's and voters alike. He was afraid that if he promoted him to the cabinet that he would gain support and lead the revolt against him

Over the past years, Lenihan on ability alone was long overdue a cabinet post. Instead Bertie gave him a job looking after the committee on the constitution. When he was due a promotion Aherne said that the work that he was doing on the Coinstitution was far too important and left him there in a low profile, dead end job. When he was eventually forced to give him a junior post he gave him health and justice with responsibility for children, a poisioned chalice if ever there was one.

There is no love lost between the two.

Look at the numbnut no hope Ministers that Bertie has surrounded himself with. Hardly inspiring - Brennan, Woods, O'Donoghue, Roche, Cullen, O'Rourke. These were never going to be a threat as potential leaders, or to take part in a heave against him, so he appointed them to the cabinet and kept them there. As a previous posted has said Lenihan is not a contender for the leaders job at the moment as he lacks experience at the cabinet table.

Remember when Micheal Martin in Education was getting a bit too big for his boots. Berties reaction - send him to Angola and leave him there. He's bound to step on some of the landmines. In fact, Martin wanted out of Health after his first term but Bertie left him there for another one. If Lenihan makes the Cabinet after this election he'll go straight to Health, that will keep him quiet.

Two quotes spring to mind about Aherne

"Most Skilful, Most Devious, Most Cunning" and.

Let me have men about me that are fat;
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep o' nights:
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous