Brian Lenihan: Why is he popular?

Marcos the black

Just looking at another thread about "The next FF leader" and most posters went with Lenihan, and to be honest I'm struggling to understand why.

He is the Minister of Finance who is about to introduce the harshest budget EVER in the history of the state, everything he's said over the past 2 years has proved to be completely incorrect: We've turned the corner, Anlgo will cost c.4bn, we're reached the floor of the housing crash etc etc.... BUT in spite of all this, poll after poll show him being the most popular Cabinet Minister, and the person most people would like to see taking over FF. Why is this?

Also to those that are going to come on here and defend him/support him I have one question for you: Can you name one thing that Lenihan said since becoming MoF that has actually been correct?

Future

Harsh thing to say but a lot of his popularity is down to his health problems. Sorry for saying it but its the truth.

VHF

Harsh thing to say but a lot of his popularity is down to his health problems. Sorry for saying it but its the truth.
+1 echo that. Aside from that, not leadership calibre for the next chapter in Ireland's future history. Next.

anfieldabff

Combination of sympathy and despirately looking of a national saviour

Brian Lenihan has a way of looking straight into the camera just like his father when he told us on RTE that on mature reflection he never rang the Aras.
They were and are both liars, how many of juniors predictions have turned out to be false; almost every one.
The fact that he will not go on TV with any of the oposition to debate should have made us all suspicious. Our suspicions have been well founded, the rats in FF have over the last two years been stashing their gains abroad with the full knowledge and complicity of the two Brians.
The last two years have been about letting the Irish people down gently to the point we are at now, but I am not sure if we have not got further to fall.
There was a sympathy vote over his cancer scare which is playing on the inherant decency that most irish people have. It was played to the maximum.
As of now he is just like his boss, a busted flush.
We are about to find out just how much we have been taken for.

johnnypockets

Because people want to believe that there is some hope out there. Everytime a FF leader has been found out the general public have been fooled into thinking that the next guy will be better.
Couple this with the fact that anyone would look good next to Brian Cowen.
The fact that the media go so soft on him also helps.
Oh, and the fact that he lies so well helps to fool so many people.

hammer

Most people are financially illiterate and still have no idea of the situation the country is in.

Most of them don`t even realise the serious errors Lendahand has made.

He is liked because the media prefer him to BIFFO.

He admitted that he cost the country up to €800m when he increased the Vat rates. Of course the public forgave him because Irish people are not the sharpest.

hammer

He even told the bond holders that there would be no flight of deposits from Ireland because we are AN ISLAND

He could well be the next Taoiseach with brains like that. How much did that comment cost us ?

Billions maybe? Who knows.............

Skypeme

Maybe its because people look at the alternatives for the post - the 'spokespersons' for finance from the other parties - and consider them to be a gang of incompetents?

Panopticon

Just looking at another thread about "The next FF leader" and most posters went with Lenihan, and to be honest I'm struggling to understand why.

He is the Minister of Finance who is about to introduce the harshest budget EVER in the history of the state, everything he's said over the past 2 years has proved to be completely incorrect: We've turned the corner, Anlgo will cost c.4bn, we're reached the floor of the housing crash etc etc.... BUT in spite of all this, poll after poll show him being the most popular Cabinet Minister, and the person most people would like to see taking over FF. Why is this?

Also to those that are going to come on here and defend him/support him I have one question for you: Can you name one thing that Lenihan said since becoming MoF that has actually been correct?
1. He wasn't really responsible for the decisions that caused these budgets any more than the average FF backbencher, i.e. hardly any responsibility at all. He only entered cabinet late on.
2. Most people don't hold him accountable for the decisions that he did make, most notably the Anglo Irish Bank nationalisation, as a result of 1.
3. He is more charismatic than Hanafin or Ahern and creates the impression of being more intelligent than Martin (which I don't know if I believe).

BTW, who do you think is better?

uriah

Among the people with whom I speak, he is not popular.
He is regarded as being typical of one born into plenty and having enjoyed a privileged upbringing resulting in a lack of understanding for those less fortunate.

He has protected the privileged (top civil-servants / judges) and is determined to target those at the bottom ("everyone must contribute" )

He has got most things wrong so far and is not credible.

Marcos the black

1. He wasn't really responsible for the decisions that caused these budgets any more than the average FF backbencher, i.e. hardly any responsibility at all. He only entered cabinet late on.
2. Most people don't hold him accountable for the decisions that he did make, most notably the Anglo Irish Bank nationalisation, as a result of 1.
3. He is more charismatic than Hanafin or Ahern and creates the impression of being more intelligent than Martin (which I don't know if I believe).

Who do I think is better? Anyone, everyone.... Not really setting the bar high there is Brian. But just to pick one that could be in a position to take over from him, I would say Richard Bruton.

By the way, you didn't answer the question: Name one thing that he's said that has proved to be accurate/correct?

Squire Allworthy

Maybe its because people look at the alternatives for the post - the 'spokespersons' for finance from the other parties - and consider them to be a gang of incompetents?

It is so reassuringly to have the Nation's finances looked after by someone so competent. Someone with a good grounding in economics and a clear matter of fact approach.

Goldencircle

He was never popular, he was beyond criticism because of his illness.
The papers and a few hopeless cases on here liked fuel the myth.
But he is one of the most incompetent members of cabinet and has cost us all dearly.

And like johnnypockets said. T
hey got the myth out early thinking they would have got rid of Biffo by now.

Who was a 'master of his brief' remember ?

Goodbody

I think he's dead. That's why we have all of these interviews, recorded while he was alive.

turdsl

He is there for the last 2 years every prediction and decision he made has been wrong from the moment he said the bank guarantee would start up lending. just look at his predictions for the last 2 months, could not be more wrong.

Goldencircle

1. He wasn't really responsible for the decisions that caused these budgets any more than the average ff backbencher, i.e. Hardly any responsibility at all. He only entered cabinet late on.
myth

ellie08

Brian Lenihan has a way of looking straight into the camera just like his father when he told us on RTE that on mature reflection he never rang the Aras.
They were and are both liars, how many of juniors predictions have turned out to be false; almost every one.
The fact that he will not go on TV with any of the oposition to debate should have made us all suspicious. Our suspicions have been well founded, the rats in FF have over the last two years been stashing their gains abroad with the full knowledge and complicity of the two Brians.
The last two years have been about letting the Irish people down gently to the point we are at now, but I am not sure if we have not got further to fall.
There was a sympathy vote over his cancer scare which is playing on the inherant decency that most irish people have. It was played to the maximum.
As of now he is just like his boss, a busted flush.
We are about to find out just how much we have been taken for.
how true.

sport02

It is so reassuringly to have the Nation's finances looked after by someone so competent. Someone with a good grounding in economics and a clear matter of fact approach.

The U.S treasuary Secretary is an economist and a banker, he had to go infront of a select commitee, that grilled him on a variant of possible economic sceanarios, if he wasn't up to it, they could tell O'Bama, to basically send in the next candidate.

Our Brian is a barrister, wonder would he even of got to answer a single question by their committee.

Me thinks not, he certaintly would be out of place, but with our horrid economic problems, Brian is the man.

God help this little nation of ours.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies