• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Brian Shivers banged up but now innocent. What say ye?

Ó Donnchadha

First Colin Duffy was freed, now Brian Shivers. Either the prosecutors are totally inept or the government was trying to frame both.

Brian Shivers, 47, who was acquitted of the Massereene shootings after a retrial at Belfast crown court. Photograph: Mark Marlow/Pacemaker Press

The only man to be convicted of the Real IRA killing of two soldiers just hours before they were to be deployed to Afghanistan has been found not guilty in a retrial.

Brian Shivers had been jailed for murdering the army engineers Mark Quinsey and Patrick Azimkar in what a judge described as a "ferocious and ruthless" gun attack outside Massereene barracks in Antrim Town four years ago.

But on Friday at Belfast crown court, Shivers was cleared of the murders.

Mr Justice Deeney said the prosection case against the 47-year-old Co Derry man rested on circumstantial evidence, namely DNA found on two matches and a phone in the Real IRA getaway car. The judge said he could not be sure that these items were not contaminated innocently by the defendant.

Evergreenfinch

Or a deal was done.

InsideImDancing

Who knows what the fek was going on in this murky world. It'll probably come out eventually though.

Ó Donnchadha

In the States one can be convicted on circumstantial evidence. But Shivers seemed an unlikley profile of a Dissident operative. But what do I know. I go on intuition.

Though I was having a hard time with the DNA matches.

Ó Donnchadha

Then again, I would trust MI5 as far as I could throw them.

Marcella

In the States one can be convicted on circumstantial evidence. But Shivers seemed an unlikley profile of a Dissident operative. But what do I know. I go on intuition.

Though I was having a hard time with the DNA matches.
The DNA profiling used is not recognised by any Courts in mainland Europe. This was the first time it was deemed admissible evidence in a UK Court. I didn't buy it.

Ó Donnchadha

The DNA profiling used is not recognised by any Courts in mainland Europe. This was the first time it was deemed admissible evidence in a UK Court. I didn't buy it.
They just wanted to bang him up.

I understood Colin Duffy better. The bottom line is that they wanted to make his life as miserable as possible. At least we understand the mindset. Now that being said, on a personal level I believe Duffy is connected with certain activities but as far as the murder charges, the evidence was slim to none and slim had left the room. It seemed obvious that they were just trying to bang him up.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies