• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Brian Wilson v Stephen Slug it Out: Trouble at Green Party NI Mill

factual

Two Es in Green ? Education and Economy – and a pot-shot at Minister Poots « Slugger O'Toole

Fascinating thread developing on Green Party in NI.

Alan in Belfast has written up an excellent precis of the Green Party conference, held today.

First of the comments is from the past leader (Brian Wilson) laying into the present leader (Stephen Agnew) complaining that his own role is being airbrushed out of the history of Green politics in NI. Let battle commence....

On a more substantive note, the party has selected its MEP candidate: Ross Brown. A former HM Treasury Economist, he is an articulate candidate.

His speech can be heard here:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1028625-ross-brown-euro-candidate-speech-to-green-party-ni-conference

I was struck by his emphasis on traditional labour values. Low pay. Workers rights. Etc.

Are the Greens trying to occupy the space that is still left vacant by the lack of a brand-Labour option?

This chimes with what Alan in Belfast notes in the thread, that a lot of emphasis was on social and economic issues, and relatively little was said about environmental issues.

Are the greens more trying to be more red than green? Are they accepting there's little interest in green issues in hard times?

Last edited:

factual

PS the green party have selected their MEP for the upcoming EU elections - he seems very articulate. Currently listening to his speech. Lots of good values there.

Northsideman

eskrimador

I like my women like I like my coffee, with two e's in them.

Pet Sounds

DT123

Amazing that there is never any trouble at the SF mill.You would nearly think that they were a fascistic party,who brook no dissent or thought that goes contrary to the leadership.

The Borg in fact.

factual

Amazing that there is never any trouble at the SF mill.You would nearly think that they were a fascistic party,who brook no dissent or thought that goes contrary to the leadership.

The Borg in fact.
How is the Green Party seen in the PLU community? Is it regarded as being better than Alliance?

I see that there was quite a lot of criticism reserved for alliance in the speech of the Euro election candidate.

Galloper Thompson

The Borg in fact.
Whats that got to do with the price of cheese???

eskrimador

The Borg in fact.
In fairness, it's better than them saying they support the peace process one minute and then supporting the still active UVF the next, a la the DUP.

factual

Listening to his Audioboo...Ross Brown was very critical of the DUP. He said the Green Party believes that the NI Executive needs to raise more revenue via tax. He attacked the Alliance as the same - economically - as the DUP.

He pointed out that Greens are the only Assemly party that opposed cuts in corpo tax. (Maybe TUV too, I am not sure). He claimed that all the Assembly parties are the same on economic terms - apart from the Greens.

He saw the Greens as being a more progressive party than the others. A sense of compassion. A concern for the vulnerable. For animal rights.

He spoke up "as an economist" championing the green economy.

factual

They have voted in favour of “a single, publicly funded, secular education system”. CR will approve.

factual

Working at EU level to end harmful corpo tax competition.

A world class Public Transport system.

eskrimador

Listening to his Audioboo...Ross Brown was very critical of the DUP. He said the Green Party believes that the NI Executive needs to raise more revenue via tax. He attacked the Alliance as the same - economically - as the DUP.

He pointed out that Greens are the only Assemly party that opposed cuts in corpo tax. (Maybe TUV too, I am not sure). He claimed that all the Assembly parties are the same on economic terms - apart from the Greens.

He saw the Greens as being a more progressive party than the others. A sense of compassion. A concern for the vulnerable. For animal rights.

He spoke up "as an economist" championing the green economy.
I was at their conference. I wasn't attending, I just wanted to use the phone box

DT123

Whats that got to do with the price of cheese???
This is Factual's third thread now describing "trouble at the mill" of various other political parties.

In fairness, it's better than them saying they support the peace process one minute and then supporting the still active UVF the next, a la the DUP.
At least the DUP give us a bit of entertainment now and again with Iris,Robbo,wee Jeffrey etc.SF people just give me the impression that they are all ran from HQ,with no one ever giving their own opinion on anything ,if it differs from the party line.

DT123

How is the Green Party seen in the PLU community? Is it regarded as being better than Alliance?

I see that there was quite a lot of criticism reserved for alliance in the speech of the Euro election candidate.
Not even on the lowest rung of the radar.

I cannot speak for my urban compatriots though.

eskrimador

This is Factual's third thread now describing "trouble at the mill" of various other political parties.

At least the DUP give us a bit of entertainment now and again with Iris,Robbo,wee Jeffrey etc.SF people just give me the impression that they are all ran from HQ,with no one ever giving their own opinion on anything ,if it differs from the party line.
If you're suggesting Arlene goes doggy with wee Barry, and I think you are, you need therapy mate :p

At least Jeffrey will pay for the video.

Ren84

What's your obsession with mills Factual? Do the SNP, Party of Wales Plaid Cymru, SDLP and now Greens meet in mills? And what type of mill is it? Bread, cider?

Ren84

Factual has posted quite a few anti Sinn Fein threads in the last few weeks alone........Factual is not a Shinner!
Factual opposes Scottish and Welsh independence. She makes me want to join the DUP with her borgish pro SF newspeak.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies