Brid Smith TD makes personalised attack on High Court judge

Buchaill Dana

it’s not demeaning to Brid.
unless you call trousering (or skirting) €173,000 demeaning?
173k is middling. Go bigly. If you are going to pull a number out of your hole, try a million. Its as implausible, but sounds more impressive, and if anyone was gullible enough to fall for 173k, they will buy a million.

Uganda

173k is middling. Go bigly. If you are going to pull a number out of your hole, try a million. Its as implausible, but sounds more impressive, and if anyone was gullible enough to fall for 173k, they will buy a million.
I’ll stick to the facts if it’s alright with you

Buchaill Dana

it’s not demeaning to Brid.
unless you call trousering (or skirting) €173,000 demeaning?
How much did Dara Murphy trouser? I don't see any comment from you on that

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Ah! The old, "elect the judges" nonsense. Justice and law is not a matter for popular opinion. If you expect people to administer justice and apply the law, in an unfettered manner, the worst thing you can do is make their job contingent on the public whim. It puts judges in the position of risking removal, in an election, by handing out an unpopular decision, even if that decision is legally sound.
The administration of Justice is not a matter for the public whim.
Exactly. Look, for an example, at a state where increasingly, the appointment of judges are increasingly openly political acts to benefit one side or the other; the USA. A country where partisanship is running riot and infecting every aspect of society.

Buchaill Dana

Exactly. Look, for an example, at a state where increasingly, the appointment of judges are increasingly openly political acts to benefit one side or the other; the USA. A country where partisanship is running riot and infecting every aspect of society.
So we just accept one side appointing judges and dispense with the criticism bit?

Watcher2

I see you disputed the 173k figure but did not say what the actual salary is.

snigger

Greener

So we just accept one side appointing judges and dispense with the criticism bit?
Who is saying that? But Judicial elections are awful for independence. They essentially have a whiff of prejudgement about them.

You might read my post on Saturday about the range of oversights available.

reg11

As
Who is saying that? But Judicial elections are awful for independence. They essentially have a whiff of prejudgement about them.

You might read my post on Saturday about the range of oversights available.
As I told you , none of your oversights address the gaping need for oversight of the administrators of law.

Greener

As
As I told you , none of your oversights address the gaping need for oversight of the administrators of law.
Totally disagree.

But as a matter of interest, what do you suggest?

Greener

Never mind criticism, one isn't even allowed to make a comment. These shysters know no shame.
Who said that you can't comment?

Orbit v2

I've often criticised judges here and I might not always have been right about it either. But, that's not the issue. It's the ignorant basis of the criticism. If you are criticising a judgement of a court, surely you should be reading the judgement and pointing out what parts of it you disagree with. Instead what we've got here (and from Smith) is criticism of his salary, and (in this thread) wildly misplaced criticism of his background and personal appearance and accusations of corruption.

Reading a 69 page judgement requires effort of course, but there's no excuse for a political party to not do that, if it's a cause that really matters to them. Unless of course, they have and can find nothing wrong with it. But I doubt that they have read it. We shouldn't forget that Smith and the last FG government are ostensibly on the same side of this question. It's an FG written law that the judge has declared unconstitutional and it's interesting that it's the judge rather than FG who is the target of Smith's ire. If the law was passed by the Attorney General and her advisors then there is presumably some basis of argument to support an appeal against it, but Bríd Smith prefers silly memes on Facebook.

McTell

Brid Smith has to make waves in an overcrowded paddling pool of leftie have-not politicos.

And not being a leftie, I agree with her that how all public money is spent should be open for debate.

However, judges have to judge what is in front of them, in this case a "law" passed by a democratically elected Dail.

Buchaill Dana

You can comment.

Legislators have a different role, so its different.
So legislators have less right to comment on matters of public importance than ordinary civilians.

I think your logic took a wrong turn somewhere

Greener

So legislators have less right to comment on matters of public importance than ordinary civilians.

I think your logic took a wrong turn somewhere
Don't be disingenuous. You know full well I'm talking about legislative comment on judicial decisions.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom