Brilliant French documentary to give a background to outsiders of discussions here.

SevenStars

This film award winning film was made by a hiberno-Irishman for a French television company shortly before the hunger strikes just got on the way. While I personally believe that long term historical introduction at the beginning is over simplyifing and inaccurate about the actual 17 th century settlement, the explanation of the genesis of the troubles is dead on and their unfolding up to the year that is was made is dead on. It really captures the people and the spirit of the time. It should be watched alone for the sake of the camera work and the music.

Even though the last northern insurgency failed we should remember with pride just how much people were willing to suffer and for how long to see Ireland free.

SevenStars

fluffykontbiscuits

Cheers mate might have a watch of that over the weekend. I think Real Player lets people download a temporary copy too if they have it .

vinoboy

Wish Slabber /SS/Merle would go on hunger strike to the death in sympathy with these bunch of deluded individuals .
Please do it.
Remember PatsyO'Hara getting buried with union flag inside him ,stitched in by loyalist mortician of my acquaintance after his post mortem.

Green eyed monster

Wish Slabber /SS/Merle would go on hunger strike to the death in sympathy with these bunch of deluded individuals .
Please do it.
Remember PatsyO'Hara getting buried with union flag inside him ,stitched in by loyalist mortician of my acquaintance after his post mortem.
Sick mind at work

I think respect for the dead is one of the key differences between Loyalist/British and Irish culture.

bona na croin

I never expected Vinoboy to stoop to the level of the people he wished to die.

vinoboy

Sick mind at work

I think respect for the dead is one of the key differences between Loyalist/British and Irish culture.
Your friends want us dead ,I feel the same about them.They want to kill all PSNI members ,Protestants ,British soldiers .
What respect do republicans show to the dead ,Slabber glorying in Birmingham ,Deal etc.
So, where is respect , suggest you trawl through your friends bloodthirsty posts before you come to a patronising conclusion , you self righteous twerp.

Green eyed monster

Your friends want us dead ,I feel the same about them.They want to kill all PSNI members ,Protestants ,British soldiers .
What respect do republicans show to the dead ,Slabber glorying in Birmingham ,Deal etc.
So, where is respect , suggest you trawl through your friends bloodthirsty posts before you come to a patronising conclusion , you self righteous twerp.
The mortician who defiled the body of a perceived enemy shows a twisted perverted hatred that is 'beyond the pale', i think that it is a symptom of total derangement - clearly you do not as you brag about knowing him.

The hunger strikers seem to provoke an especially demented hatred among loyalists.

SevenStars

Sick mind at work

Indeed sick mind at work.

But honestly I think its a particularly Ulster Unionist thing as opposed to something you find among the English, Cornish, Welsh and Scottish.

Remember though that Vinoboy likes to present himself as a friendly moderate when in fact he is on record as approving of the Dublin bombings. At least I know that Im a bit of an extremist. Unionist "culture" is exceedingly pathological.

Cruimh

Indeed sick mind at work.

But honestly I think its a particularly Ulster Unionist thing as opposed to something you find among the English, Cornish, Welsh and Scottish.

Remember though that Vinoboy likes to present himself as a friendly moderate when in fact he is on record as approving of the Dublin bombings. At least I know that Im a bit of an extremist. Unionist "culture" is exceedingly pathological.
the German one is even worse Ulrike ....

Unionism isnt a race....Its a drab parochial bargain basement form of fascism.
Tullyvalen was good enough for you. :)

http://www.politics.ie/2944644-post56.html

DerryBee

Cheers mate might have a watch of that over the weekend. I think Real Player lets people download a temporary copy too if they have it .
Completely off-topic...:oops:....but, I have to say that I absolutely love the fact that Real Player allows you to download video's from youtube in addition to the UTV and RTE news websites, it is a brilliant application. I wish that I could similarly download videos from the BBC news service.

Seven, I may have a look at the documentary this weekend if I have some spare time: I am a sucker for documentaries and particularly obscure archive footage due to my natural love for photography...:oops:

The last French documentary I ever watched was ‘Night and Fog’, which focused on the Holocaust and the collapse of Nazi Germany. It was an incredibly powerful and hard-hitting piece of film-making, which left me profoundly moved.

SevenStars

The mortician who defiled the body of a perceived enemy shows a twisted perverted hatred that is 'beyond the pale', i think that it is a symptom of total derangement - clearly you do not as you brag about knowing him.

The hunger strikers seem to provoke an especially demented hatred among loyalists.
I think pity is the best response...Even in a war time situation that sort of mindset is so warped and removed from what we usually regard as human that I cant but think that maybe we should see vinoboy and his mate as in a way as much victims of that dreadful situation as Volunteer Patsy O'Hara was.

SevenStars

The last French documentary I ever watched was ‘Night and Fog’, which focused on the Holocaust and the collapse of Nazi Germany. It was an incredibly powerful and hard-hitting piece of film-making, which left me profoundly moved.
I would agree with you there.

Night and Fog is genuinely moving. Frighteningly so.

vinoboy

I think pity is the best response...Even in a war time situation that sort of mindset is so warped and removed from what we usually regard as human that I cant but think that maybe we should see vinoboy and his mate as in a way as much victims of that dreadful situation as Volunteer Patsy O'Hara was.
yawn............

eoghanacht

Please do it.
I don't know which is worse the act itself or you reveling in it.

What a sad little man you are.

DerryBee

I would agree with you there.

Night and Fog is genuinely moving. Frighteningly so.
I can remember watching the movie, and for the first time in my life experiencing so many different emotions within such a short space of time: ranging from anger at the sheer injustice and inhumanity of the crimes committed, and grief that so many innocent people died such distressing and cruel deaths. I am not ashamed to say, that it was the first time that I cried whilst watching a documentary. It was, without doubt, incredibly powerful and something that I shall never forget.

It is a testament to the remarkable power of this documentary that I can genuinely say that it had a profound impact upon me; perhaps this is due to the fact that I watched it a very young age? I feel slightly silly making such a statement but I think that we all know, and have experienced the power of film and the emotions that it can provoke.

SevenStars

That actually freaked me out.

New Threads

Most Replies