Brilliant French documentary to give a background to outsiders of discussions here.

SevenStars

It is a testament to the remarkable power of this documentary that I can genuinely say that it had a profound impact upon me; perhaps this is due to the fact that I watched it a very young age? I feel slightly silly making such a statement but I think we all know the power of film and the emotions that it can provoke.
I dont think its the age thing...I watched just last year and I had trouble sleeping for awhile afterwards.

DerryBee

I dont think its the age thing...I watched just last year and I had trouble sleeping for awhile afterwards.
I think that you are right. I first saw the documentary when I was around fourteen but when I saw it again not so long ago at University I had the exact same reaction, and indeed our Professor was visibly moved by what he saw: it is just the sheer inhumanity of it all. French journalism and film-making has a reputation for being hard-hitting and ‘Night and Fog’ was a perfect example of that. I shall certainly watch the documentary linked on this thread.

Darren H

Sick mind at work

I think respect for the dead is one of the key differences between Loyalist/British and Irish culture.
I think respect for the living is one of the key differences between Unionists and Repulicans.

Darren H

I think respect for democracy is the key difference between Nationalism and Unionism.
I think you're right.

Unionists have, uniquely in Europe, given the minority a veto in government.

The only place in the continent where majority does not rule.

I accept your thanks for our magnanimity.

C

Cass

I think you're right.

Unionists have, no the British government has, probably because Britain couldn't trust you to govern as democrats. Of course you're failing to recognise the democratic wish of the people of Ireland in 1918.

vinoboy

I don't know which is worse the act itself or you reveling in it.

What a sad little man you are.
What you need to understand is that loyalist people will not lie down to continuous attack and given the lowest form of war perpetrated by the IRA/ INLA brought out the worst in loyalist response during the conflict,bit like this keyboard warrior rubbish.
Yes , I am currently non sectarian objective looking but never deny my primary outlook as Protestant ,Loyalist /Unionist and have always had RC friends and associates.I see no conflict with being friendly to all and retaining the right to defend what you think is right and respond to attack.The virulence of anti Protestant posts by the usual suspects provokes a response , maybe should ignore ,but I am what I am am and take it or leave it .

Schomberg

Of course you're failing to recognise the democratic wish of the people of Ireland in 1918.
The democratic will of the people in 1918? The same people that voted for a party committed to a new war, despite HR being just around the corner? The same people that called the Germans their "gallant allies in Europe"? SF might have had a majority, but hardly a moral majority. SF got 46% of the vote (que they woudda had loaads more!), Unionists had 28.3% (inc Ind. & Labour Unionists) with the non-separatist (at least on paper) IPP having 21.7% of the vote.

SevenStars

The democratic will of the people in 1918? The same people that voted for a party committed to a new war, despite HR being just around the corner? The same people that called the Germans their "gallant allies in Europe"? SF might have had a majority, but hardly a moral majority. SF got 46% of the vote (que they woudda had loaads more!), Unionists had 28.3% (inc Ind. & Labour Unionists) with the non-separatist (at least on paper) IPP having 21.7% of the vote.
The Germans were are gallant allies in Europe. And it was again the DDR that supplied the desperately needed again in 1969.

Where does this anti-German racism among Unionists come from?

Schomberg

The Germans were are gallant allies in Europe. And it was again the DDR that supplied the desperately needed again in 1969.

Where does this anti-German racism among Unionists come from?
they weren't even your gallant allies SS. they were using you. just like the french used do. and just like the french, the germans would have let ye all to rot and deal with the consequences on yer own if it all went belly up ;)

Scipio

...the people
Had forfeited the confidence of the government
And could win it back only
By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?

SevenStars

they weren't even your gallant allies SS. they were using you. just like the french used do. and just like the french, the germans would have let ye all to rot and deal with the consequences on yer own if it all went belly up ;)
What did the Germans have to gain in 1969?

I find it hard in my heart to forgive Gorby for ordering Erich Honecker with various threat to stop aid to Irish partisans (thank God for our gallant allies in Libiyia).

A lot of the serious study of Irish history going way back to pre-historic times has and is being done in Germany.

Prussia (a fine Protestant culture ;)) is dear to my heart as it was to the hearts of Pearse and Connolly.

YouTube - Brüder, seht die Rote Fahne

Ó Ghabhainn

Wish Slabber /SS/Merle would go on hunger strike to the death in sympathy with these bunch of deluded individuals .
Please do it.
Remember PatsyO'Hara getting buried with union flag inside him ,stitched in by loyalist mortician of my acquaintance after his post mortem.
I wouldn't call that your most honourable post vinoboy. Indeed, you have no right (based on that post) to call anyone self-righteous.

I think you're right.

Sammy Wilson has certainly shown himself willing to bend over and enthusiastically take a right old beating rather than stand up for his people, so where's the democracy?

I'm afraid, Unionism, that you've held on so long that when you're treated badly you take it gladly. Screams of desperation.

vinoboy

Self righteous ??????
Was being straight rather than shuffling about the matter ,those named call for murder on a daily basis without censure from those that have responded to my post .

Ó Ghabhainn

Self righteous ??????
Was being straight rather than shuffling about the matter ,those named call for murder on a daily basis without censure from those that have responded to my post .
Expressing joy at defacing a corpse is what I was getting at. It's just wrong.

Scipio

While the documentary itself will provoke debate, there's a great version of The Foggy Dew therein.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom