Bring Home the Brains

greengoose2

Special tax deal to lure emigrants with 'high skills' home

So FG want to lure highly skilled people back to Ireland. Ah, the joys of being highly skilled. Lots of dosh and even less tax to pay.

How does that sit with the humble income tax payer who is being squeezed? Is this fair?

Considering the Minister in question, I believe it is an ill thought out scam of a scheme! The quote below attests to idiocy of the brainfart!

However, such a package aimed at emigrants will prove controversial among the Irish workforce, particularly skilled workers who remained at home despite the recession.

Similar tax proposals were submitted by the former Jobs Minister Richard Bruton last year, but were later watered down by the Department of Finance amid fears they would infuriate workers who remained at home.
A great little country to do business in!

GDPR

It's not just a question of bring back qualified people. We don't have the social organisation here to put them to work - other than depending on foreign multinationals who prefer to employ immigrants anyway (75% of staff in the multinationals here are immigrants).

Vega1447

So FG want to lure highly skilled people back to Ireland. Ah, the joys of being highly skilled. Lots of dosh and even less tax to pay.

How does that sit with the humble income tax payer who is being squeezed? Is this fair?

Considering the Minister in question, I believe it is an ill thought out scam of a scheme! The quote below attests to idiocy of the brainfart!

A fvcking ridiculous idea.

So the idiots will probably go for it.

GDPR

Daft idea, will cause more problems than it will solve.

If there's room on income tax, raise the level on which you enter the 40% rate or introduce a narrow 30% middle rate for everyone.

Erudite Caveman

Hmm. Might not be a bad idea.

Yes, there is an element of gritting your teeth while they pay less tax than us for a few years, but given their earning profile and the progressive tax regime, it won't be long before they have caught up and we have additional higher tax payers. The other obvious plus is that we get to plug the skills shortage, so in many cases improve our services. From a Brexit pov it looks like they want to be able to ensure that there won't be a skills shortage if a bunch of big players move here.

wexfordman

Yes, there is an element of gritting your teeth while they pay less tax than us for a few years, but given their earning profile and the progressive tax regime, it won't be long before they have caught up and we have additional higher tax payers. The other obvious plus is that we get to plug the skills shortage, so in many cases improve our services. From a Brexit pov it looks like they want to be able to ensure that there won't be a skills shortage if a bunch of big players move here.
No, its an outrageous idea plain and simple.

its an admission that our income tax rates are too high, at a time when the next budget is unlikely to alleviate the tax levels for current workers on the wages that they are now talking about reducing for immigrant workers.

As much as I disagreed with irish water, I never protested about it, but this one will get me out on the streets.

In fact, I think we should be having public protests over taxation as a whole anyway, its time workers started saying no more of this dodgy dealing preferential treatment. Its time we demanded fair taxation.

Mad as Fish

Another fine example of FG being up their own rear ends and totally incapable of understanding others or how society works. To them life is all about switching functions on and off by applying or withdrawing money. Life is a mechanical process to them and they can't see beyond that.

It is not just about the money, it is also about opportunity and equality and both are severely constrained in Ireland unless you are part of the establishment and then that will only get you so far. You can bet your bottom dollar that should the returning intelligentsia get uppity ideas about reforming the political system by introducing the concept of people earning positions and respect through merit then they will very quickly have the door slammed in their faces.

Eire1976

It's vital for Ireland's future to bring back some brains, or we will never get out of this spiral of parish pump politicians running the Country.

Betson

As others have said it will be completely unfair to those who stayed through the bad times and helped turn things around.

Orbit v2

Stupid, brainless idea, completely lacking in imagination. It says so much about the people who put it forward.

PBP voter

It's vital for Ireland's future to bring back some brains, or we will never get out of this spiral of parish pump politicians running the Country.
Then after five years they will leave again as they go back on the high rate.

cabledude

It's not just a question of bring back qualified people. We don't have the social organisation here to put them to work - other than depending on foreign multinationals who prefer to employ immigrants anyway (75% of staff in the multinationals here are immigrants).
I work for a foreign owned multinational. There are over 400 employed over 2 sites. We have 7 people in my location who are not Irish. I understand this number is smaller at the other location. While this is only one company, I know loads of people working in other multinationals. Most working in these places are Irish.

Where are you getting 75% from?

artfoley56

If we deport all FFFGLAB then the brightest may return

cabledude

This would not be acceptable to most PAYE workers in Ireland, irrespective of their jobs or background.

This is a brain fart. Would it even be constitutionally sound?

ShoutingIsLeadership

FG just don't seem to have the ability to think.

FG seems to think that all people care about is taxation. People will come home if housing, healthcare and education are easily affordable and readily acceptable. Heck, people might even pay MORE tax, in return.

And it's Mary Mitchell O'Connor championing this...enough said.

daveL

It's a terrible idea.

The aim should be to make work pay for everyone especially those that have foot the fu(king bill for this kleptocratic kip.

It's an outright admission that income taxes are too high and a huge disincentive and a whopping two fingered salute to all the mugs that didn't head for the beaches.

daveL

No, its an outrageous idea plain and simple.

its an admission that our income tax rates are too high, at a time when the next budget is unlikely to alleviate the tax levels for current workers on the wages that they are now talking about reducing for immigrant workers.

As much as I disagreed with irish water, I never protested about it, but this one will get me out on the streets.

In fact, I think we should be having public protests over taxation as a whole anyway, its time workers started saying no more of this dodgy dealing preferential treatment. Its time we demanded fair taxation.
I'll be out there with you.

Such a complete lack of respect.

daveL

How about encouraging them to come home via a tax system that works for all?

daveL

I work for a foreign owned multinational. There are over 400 employed over 2 sites. We have 7 people in my location who are not Irish. I understand this number is smaller at the other location. While this is only one company, I know loads of people working in other multinationals. Most working in these places are Irish.

Where are you getting 75% from?
his arse obviously

greengoose2

The brains left because...

...they have brains.

Here's a comment from that site:

In my Swiss life I work with highly motivated colleagues in a company that focuses on staff development, my salary is 3 times higher with less than 10% tax, I receive a generous pension contribution, can afford to pay separately to a private pension and save money on top. Despite the low tax rate, government spending is usually well thought out, tax money is invested not squandered and the result is that I live in a very clean country with excellent public services and virtually no crime.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies