• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Britain owns all our lighthouses!!

NotDevsSon

The CIL is one of a very few organisations that survived partition on an all-island basis. So did the RNLI.

corkman2007

Let 'em pay! They've occupied this country for centuries - this goes a tiny way towards compensating Ireland for that occupation and all the horrifying consequences that flowed from that occupation.

cactus flower

No. I want us to own our light houses and our security forces and I don't want my old ma-in-law in Wexford to have to pay ground rent to some fecker in the UK who has never been there.
We need a Unilateral declaration of Self-Illumination.

S

Starkadder

toxic avenger said:
NotDevsSon said:
The CIL is one of a very few organisations that survived partition on an all-island basis. So did the RNLI.
Interesting that it still is so, maybe it's something I ought to have known. Are the lighthouses thus British territory, in the manner of the Embassy, or is it Irish territory?
My dad used take me to visit the West Cork Lifeboat, and I always
wondered why it was called the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

Isn't there a "Prince of Wales" Hotel in the Midlands somewhere?

markeys

Truly absurd situation.
We should of course own those lighthouses and a resolution should be found as soon as possible.

ibis

All your lighthouse are belong to us.

corkman2007

Starkadder said:
toxic avenger said:
NotDevsSon said:
Interesting that it still is so, maybe it's something I ought to have known. Are the lighthouses thus British territory, in the manner of the Embassy, or is it Irish territory?

Athlone.

Let the Brits pay for our lighthouses. It's not like they can take them away if the get p*ssed off with the situation. If they do stop paying for them I'm sure we can afford to fund them ourselves. In the meantime we should take them for as much money as we can.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
toxic avenger said:
NotDevsSon said:
They're Irish territory obviously.

JCSkinner said:
toxic avenger said:
NotDevsSon said:
Why 'obviously'? Do you know it for a fact?

corkman2007

toxic avenger said:
JCSkinner said:
[quote="toxic avenger":2hopqykb]
NotDevsSon said:
Why 'obviously'? Do you know it for a fact?[/quote:2hopqykb]

They are Irish territory. The only legally British territory within the state is the British Embassy. The lighthouses aren't like the Treaty Ports.

S

Starkadder

corkman2007 said:
Starkadder said:
toxic avenger said:
NotDevsSon said:

Athlone.

Let the Brits pay for our lighthouses. It's not like they can take them away if the get p*ssed off with the situation. If they do stop paying for them I'm sure we can afford to fund them ourselves. In the meantime we should take them for as much money as we can.
I think we should fund our lighthouses ourselves.

I wonder is there a hotel in the Czech Republic called
"Prince of Austro-Hungarian Empire". :)

civic_critic

Britain would appear to have retained a significant interest in and control over the Irish coastline since 1922 up to the present. A little known fact is that Ireland does not have its own hydrographic survey. Who did this for us up until 2004? Yes, you guessed it, Britain. And now that the price of oil has risen suddeny all sorts of knowledgeable people with drilling licence applications are popping up. This link gives a very interesting overview of Irish Marine Policy historically and in the present. Among other things it says:
Marine Administration Country Template - Country Data said:
Ireland is one of the few maritime countries in Europe to not have its own hydrographic survey. Traditionally, any hydrographic survey work was undertaken by the British Admiralty on IrelandÂ’s behalf. This arrangement is currently under review [2004].
That review has since taken place and as of November 4 2004:
At the recent Hydr04 conference in Galway key members of the hydrographic surveying community in Ireland held the inaugural meeting of the Irish Branch of The Hydrographic Society. It was proposed that, in common with the Scottish Regions, the Irish Region would initially operate via the UK society.
Link

Also:
The International Federation of Hydrographic Societies represents the world hydrographic surveying community in over sixty countries with Ireland the latest addition through affiliation with the UK Hydrographic Society.
Link

I don't know what relationship the Hydrographic Society in Ireland has with the government and whether their policy of subsuming themselves under a UK or 'British Isles' banner reflects the governments policy in this area but it is clear that any ideas people might have of a strong assertion of sovereignty by Ireland over its marine territory and even its territorial seabed would need to be played down.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
They do operate under British and Irish law, due in part to the relevant legislation dating from Victorian times. And there is a cross-border element partly implemented in relation to Foyle and Carlingford.
But they're on Irish territory. To be honest, what the British do is pay a subvention to us for their upkeep. I think it's overegging things to suggest they actually own the lighthouses in any real sense.

R Paul

What exactly do they pay tax for? We don't have property tax, so it can't be that. Presumably they are not a business and liable for corporate tax - unless the lighthouses have some method of generating income - pay per view perhaps? :)