Britain owns all our lighthouses!!



clontarfblue

Member
Joined
May 27, 2007
Messages
71
toxic avenger said:
I never knew this was the case. Britain owns and subsidises all Irish lighthouses, and pays several thousand pounds in tax to the Revenue Commissioners. Apparently some British Lord has been getting uppity about the situation, demanding it stops. But why is it so?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexami ... qqqx=1.asp

This is a stupid thread. They are owned and managed by the Commissioners of Irish Lights, and all-Ireland Organisation. The reason they are partly paid for the the Westminster Government is because the vast majority of shipping passing through our waters is headed for a British Port. Dues are collected at all ports, in Britain and Ireland, and passed on to the CIL.
 

clontarfblue

Member
Joined
May 27, 2007
Messages
71
toxic avenger said:
NotDevsSon said:
The CIL is one of a very few organisations that survived partition on an all-island basis. So did the RNLI.
Interesting that it still is so, maybe it's something I ought to have known. Are the lighthouses thus British territory, in the manner of the Embassy, or is it Irish territory?

Ah now, you not that thick are ya. Using that theory, is Landsdowne Road British terrority because it is owned by an All-island organisation? NO
 

clontarfblue

Member
Joined
May 27, 2007
Messages
71
cactus flower said:
No. I want us to own our light houses and our security forces and I don't want my old ma-in-law in Wexford to have to pay ground rent to some fecker in the UK who has never been there.
We need a Unilateral declaration of Self-Illumination.

Whats wrong with paying the rightful landlord their due rent?
 
Joined
Jun 9, 2007
Messages
18,714
clontarfblue said:
toxic avenger said:
NotDevsSon said:
The CIL is one of a very few organisations that survived partition on an all-island basis. So did the RNLI.
Interesting that it still is so, maybe it's something I ought to have known. Are the lighthouses thus British territory, in the manner of the Embassy, or is it Irish territory?

Ah now, you not that thick are ya. Using that theory, is Landsdowne Road British terrority because it is owned by an All-island organisation? NO
The article says they are owned by the British, reasonable question to ask. I hope all FGers aren't as rude as you. Really no need.
 

johnfás

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
2,715
NotDevsSon said:
The CIL is one of a very few organisations that survived partition on an all-island basis. So did the RNLI.
Although the RNLI is a voluntary charitable organisation. It isn't controlled or run by the State, and receives all its money from donations and legacies. So it is quite different to the situation with the lighthouses which are State owned. The RNLI isn't only all Ireland, it is all these isles. Everything to do with the RNLI here goes through the head office over in Poole.
 

Podolski

Active member
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
104
The CIL is based in London and is a British state controlled body. The RNLI is also based in the UK but it is a registered charity.

There are of course a lot of other uses of the term "Royal" here. These ones are just a few of those in the South.

Royal Dublin Society (RDS)
Royal College of Surgeons
Royal College of Physicians in Ireland
Royal Cork Yacht Club
Royal St. George Yacht Club (Dún Laoighaire)
Royal Irish Academy
Royal Irish Academy of Music
Royal Dublin Golf Club
Royal Hospital Kilmainham
Royal Hospital Donnybrook
Killarney Royal Hotel
Royal Institute of Architects in Ireland
Theatre Royal Waterford
Royal Theatre Castlebar
Royal Hotel, Bray
Royal Garden, Kildare
Royal Society of Antiquaries in Ireland
Royal Horticultural Society of Ireland
Royal Canal
Royal Victoria Eye & Ear Hospital, Dublin
 

noodles

Well-known member
Joined
May 4, 2007
Messages
417
Kilrush Yacht Club, In Co. Clare. have just changed their name back to Royal Western Yacht Club of Ireland. Name readopted at AGM 16th Nov 2007.
 

Fionn_McCool

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2007
Messages
80
Podolski said:
The CIL is based in London and is a British state controlled body.
Strange then that the headquarters of the Commissioners of Irish Lights is in Harbour Road, Dun Laoghaire.

This link explains who pays for Irish Lighthouses and the reasoning behind a general lighthouse fund for these islands.
The 'Light Dues' collected in Ireland are not sufficient to meet the full cost of the service. However, as Ireland lies in the path of the major transatlantic shipping lanes, vessels not calling to Irish ports still benefit from the service.

For this reason all light dues collected in Britain and Ireland are pooled into a central fund called the General Lighthouse Fund (GLF) which is administered by the Dept of Environment, Transport and the Regions (DETR).
 

drbob1972

Active member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
257
Podolski said:
The CIL is based in London and is a British state controlled body. The RNLI is also based in the UK but it is a registered charity.
eh ? the CIL is based in Dun Laoghaire in Co. Dublin and is the office for all of the island of ireland, there is no mention of any London office
 

Edo

Well-known member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Messages
3,040
clontarfblue said:
toxic avenger said:
I never knew this was the case. Britain owns and subsidises all Irish lighthouses, and pays several thousand pounds in tax to the Revenue Commissioners. Apparently some British Lord has been getting uppity about the situation, demanding it stops. But why is it so?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexami ... qqqx=1.asp

This is a stupid thread. They are owned and managed by the Commissioners of Irish Lights, and all-Ireland Organisation. The reason they are partly paid for the the Westminster Government is because the vast majority of shipping passing through our waters is headed for a British Port. Dues are collected at all ports, in Britain and Ireland, and passed on to the CIL.
Good man - first commonsense post on this thread - Jeesh is there anything that comes within an asses roar of having the word "Britain,Royal or British" anywhere near it that some folks here wont see the opportunity to have a good auld "patriotic" song and dance over it.

Some folks here with waay too much time on their hands.
 

pocleary

Active member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
203
JCSkinner said:
toxic avenger said:
NotDevsSon said:
The CIL is one of a very few organisations that survived partition on an all-island basis. So did the RNLI.
Interesting that it still is so, maybe it's something I ought to have known. Are the lighthouses thus British territory, in the manner of the Embassy, or is it Irish territory?
They're Irish territory obviously.
how so, owned, financed and run by the british employing british people , part of their sea defences,
and here was all this fuss abput Rockall when the british owned ALL the rocks in irelands waters
 

badboy2

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
949
markeys said:
Truly absurd situation.
We should of course own those lighthouses and a resolution should be found as soon as possible.
FFS we don't even have a hydrography office in this country.

At the moment CIL mannages the lighthouses and is reponsible if the f*ck up.

We have to get the admiralty to approve our charts we are so under resourced in this area

At the moment we have an arrangement that delivers a quality service at an economic price.

What schools and hospitals would you close down so you can feel good about your self.

The sea is too dangerous for these sort of sill arguments.

We are a county of four million people with about 12% of the EU's territorial waters. Do you not think taht its a good idea that we co-operate with our neighbours, or would you rather we close down an effective cross border body?
 

johnfás

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
2,715
It's a vast conspiracy to reconquer the entire of Ireland I tell you. I even saw Prince Harry taking part in elite training with the Lighthouse Keeper's Association. :shock:
 

morryah

Active member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
113
Per the CIl website:

"With the advent of Irish independence, it became necessary for the new State to legitimise its functions. Though provided for in the 1922 Constitution of the Irish Free State, it was not until 1935 that things were finally regularised when adaptations necessary to enable the Commissioners of Irish Lights to be fully operative in the Irish Free State were made by an Order of the Executive Council, entitled: Irish Lights Commissioners Adaptation Order, 1935. Subject to these adaptations, the relevant provisions of the Act of 1786 remain in force to date. In a very real sense, the governance of the Commissioners of Irish Lights remains a remarkable testimony to the far sightedness and legislative ability of an Irish Parliament sitting in Dublin in 1786."

what does that mean? !?

The article says that "THE British Crown still owns and subsidises Irish lighthouses"

I can understand the subsidise part - they have more boats and pay more duties and had/have a vested interest in maintaining the lighthouse they built.

But have we agreed that the British still physically owe the lighthouses? Or is the article incorrect and they are owned by an All Ireland body that is jointly owned?
 

needle_too

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 7, 2007
Messages
918
Podolski said:
The CIL is based in London and is a British state controlled body. The RNLI is also based in the UK but it is a registered charity.

There are of course a lot of other uses of the term "Royal" here. These ones are just a few of those in the South.

Royal Dublin Society (RDS)
Royal College of Surgeons
Royal College of Physicians in Ireland
Royal Cork Yacht Club
Royal St. George Yacht Club (Dún Laoighaire)
Royal Irish Academy
Royal Irish Academy of Music
Royal Dublin Golf Club
Royal Hospital Kilmainham
Royal Hospital Donnybrook
Killarney Royal Hotel
Royal Institute of Architects in Ireland
Theatre Royal Waterford
Royal Theatre Castlebar
Royal Hotel, Bray
Royal Garden, Kildare
Royal Society of Antiquaries in Ireland
Royal Horticultural Society of Ireland
Royal Canal
Royal Victoria Eye & Ear Hospital, Dublin
You forgot the Royal Showband and their imperialist hit 'Do The Hucklebuck'.....
 

Thac0man

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 13, 2006
Messages
6,444
Twitter
twit taa woo
morryah said:
Per the CIl website:

"With the advent of Irish independence, it became necessary for the new State to legitimise its functions. Though provided for in the 1922 Constitution of the Irish Free State, it was not until 1935 that things were finally regularised when adaptations necessary to enable the Commissioners of Irish Lights to be fully operative in the Irish Free State were made by an Order of the Executive Council, entitled: Irish Lights Commissioners Adaptation Order, 1935. Subject to these adaptations, the relevant provisions of the Act of 1786 remain in force to date. In a very real sense, the governance of the Commissioners of Irish Lights remains a remarkable testimony to the far sightedness and legislative ability of an Irish Parliament sitting in Dublin in 1786."

what does that mean? !?

The article says that "THE British Crown still owns and subsidises Irish lighthouses"

I can understand the subsidise part - they have more boats and pay more duties and had/have a vested interest in maintaining the lighthouse they built.

But have we agreed that the British still physically owe the lighthouses? Or is the article incorrect and they are owned by an All Ireland body that is jointly owned?
Thats interesting. I grew up by the sea, so was aware of the fact that Britain paid for out light houses and why, but never bother to look into it.

As Britains maritime expertise and interests are far greater then ours, there is no reason for the current situation not to continue if they are willing to continue to pay and thus save us the cost. It is a non issue, as is our dependance on the RAF to aid ships in distress far off our western coastline. I have never seen anyone taking issue with the RAF military aircraft flying over our territory to engage in such operations.
 
G

Gimpanzee

Thac0man said:
. It is a non issue, as is our dependance on the RAF to aid ships in distress far off our western coastline. I have never seen anyone taking issue with the RAF military aircraft flying over our territory to engage in such operations.
Thought it was interesting a few weeks back when a coast guard helicopter from Sligo (I think) winched the men off the lifeboat that ran aground off the coast of Antrim. The BBC NI report went into great detail about the drama of the day, then tacked on a line at the end (like muttering under its breath) saying that a helicopter from the republic also aided in the rescue - as if they were an minor inconvience, merely responsible for nothing more than bringing the tea and the sandwiches! So it cuts both ways - even the begrudgery.
 

Aindriu

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
8,633
seabhcan said:
Who owns Ireland's swans?

In the UK, the Queen owns the swans personally. Did we nationalise them in 1921? Does the President own them?

Its important, I tell you!
Do the swans know that the Queen owns them I wonder? :lol:
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top