Britain owns all our lighthouses!!

michael1965

noodles said:
Kilrush Yacht Club, In Co. Clare. have just changed their name back to Royal Western Yacht Club of Ireland. Name readopted at AGM 16th Nov 2007.
Really? I'm surprised there hasn't been more fuss made of that. Sign of the times I suppose ...

Podolski

Fionn_McCool said:
Podolski said:
The CIL is based in London and is a British state controlled body.
Strange then that the headquarters of the Commissioners of Irish Lights is in Harbour Road, Dun Laoghaire.
The 'Light Dues' collected in Ireland are not sufficient to meet the full cost of the service. However, as Ireland lies in the path of the major transatlantic shipping lanes, vessels not calling to Irish ports still benefit from the service.

For this reason all light dues collected in Britain and Ireland are pooled into a central fund called the General Lighthouse Fund (GLF) which is administered by the Dept of Environment, Transport and the Regions (DETR).
There are other countries whose ships benefit from the Irish lighthouses, not just the UK. There are other cases of important services where fees collected are inadquate to meet the cost of provision. In most cases we subsidise that ourselves rather than relying on a neighbouring country.

The Commissioners in Ireland used to be controlled from Trinity House in London.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
pocleary said:
JCSkinner said:
toxic avenger said:
NotDevsSon said:
The CIL is one of a very few organisations that survived partition on an all-island basis. So did the RNLI.
Interesting that it still is so, maybe it's something I ought to have known. Are the lighthouses thus British territory, in the manner of the Embassy, or is it Irish territory?
They're Irish territory obviously.
how so, owned, financed and run by the british employing british people , part of their sea defences,
and here was all this fuss abput Rockall when the british owned ALL the rocks in irelands waters
They're not owned by the British, they employ Irish people and do not assist UK defence forces, but rather merchant shipping of all nations.
0/3 for effort.

Fionn_McCool

morryah said:
The article says that "THE British Crown still owns and subsidises Irish lighthouses"

I can understand the subsidise part - they have more boats and pay more duties and had/have a vested interest in maintaining the lighthouse they built.

But have we agreed that the British still physically owe the lighthouses? Or is the article incorrect and they are owned by an All Ireland body that is jointly owned?
The Examiner article was incorrect....

All Irish lighthouses (North and South) are owned and operated by the Commissioners of Irish Lights, an Irish organisation based in Dun Laoghaire.

The matter was discussed in Westminster and can be viewed in Hansard
Lighthouses

Lord Laird asked Her Majesty's Government:

Who owns and controls the lighthouses around the coasts of Britain and Ireland; and whether the United Kingdom exercises sovereignty as regards any lighthouses outside the United Kingdom and its territorial sea.[HL6346]

Lord Macdonald of Tradeston:

The lighthouses and marine aids to navigation are operated by the general lighthouse authorities. These are Trinity House Lighthouse Service, the authority for England, Wales and the Channel Islands; the Northern Lighthouse Board, the authority for Scotland and the Isle of Man, and the Commissioners of Irish Lights, the authority for aids in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

The GLAs are beneficial owners of the lighthouse estate.

In the event of the sale of any assets, the proceeds are returned to the General Lighthouse Fund that meets the costs of provision.

drbob1972

Podolski said:
The Commissioners in Ireland used to be controlled from Trinity House in London.
USED to being the operative word and clearly in contradiction of your earlier posting which stated they are still controlled from Offices in London, if your trying to stir SH1TE then at least be open about it and don't misrepresent the facts to suit your agenda

morryah

Fionn_McCool said:
The GLAs are beneficial owners of the lighthouse estate

In the event of the sale of any assets, the proceeds are returned to the General Lighthouse Fund that meets the costs of provision.
and pardon me but what is the GLA and who owns that?

General Lighthouse A...?

Do they have access to / own the general lighthouse fund? So if we sell a lighthouse the funds go to the GLF which is owned by the GLA whoever that is?

Fionn_McCool

morryah said:
Fionn_McCool said:
The GLAs are beneficial owners of the lighthouse estate

and pardon me but what is the GLA and who owns that?

General Lighthouse A...?

Do they have access to / own the general lighthouse fund? So if we sell a lighthouse the funds go to the GLF which is owned by the GLA whoever that is?
There are three General Lighthouse Authorities (GLAs).
(1) Trinity House Lighthouse Service, the authority for England, Wales and the Channel Islands.
(2) The Northern Lighthouse Board, the authority for Scotland and the Isle of Man.
(3)The Commissioners of Irish Lights, the authority for Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

The GLAs own and operate the lighthouses in their own areas.

They are mainly funded by "Light Dues" - a tax collected from ships using the ports on these islands. All Light Dues collected in the UK and Ireland are "pooled" in a central fund called the General Lighthouse Fund (GLF).

The Secretary of State in the Department for Transport in London administers this fund. Operating funds are released to Trinity House, Northern Lighthouse Board and Commissioners of Irish Lights from the GLF.

Under an agreement reached between the Irish and UK Authorities in 1985, Light Dues collected at Irish Ports are supplemented by an annual Irish Government Exchequer contribution to the General Lighthouse Fund.

Edo said:
clontarfblue said:
toxic avenger said:
I never knew this was the case. Britain owns and subsidises all Irish lighthouses, and pays several thousand pounds in tax to the Revenue Commissioners. Apparently some British Lord has been getting uppity about the situation, demanding it stops. But why is it so?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexami ... qqqx=1.asp

This is a stupid thread. They are owned and managed by the Commissioners of Irish Lights, and all-Ireland Organisation. The reason they are partly paid for the the Westminster Government is because the vast majority of shipping passing through our waters is headed for a British Port. Dues are collected at all ports, in Britain and Ireland, and passed on to the CIL.
Good man - first commonsense post on this thread - Jeesh is there anything that comes within an asses roar of having the word "Britain,Royal or British" anywhere near it that some folks here wont see the opportunity to have a good auld "patriotic" song and dance over it.
My posting record proves I am not one such person. I lived there happily for over 20 years. The article said they were all owned by Britain, i did not know whether that was correct or not, I thought it was an interesting historical oddity, that's all..

Edo

toxic avenger said:
Edo said:
clontarfblue said:
http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexami ... qqqx=1.asp[/url]

This is a stupid thread. They are owned and managed by the Commissioners of Irish Lights, and all-Ireland Organisation. The reason they are partly paid for the the Westminster Government is because the vast majority of shipping passing through our waters is headed for a British Port. Dues are collected at all ports, in Britain and Ireland, and passed on to the CIL.
Good man - first commonsense post on this thread - Jeesh is there anything that comes within an asses roar of having the word "Britain,Royal or British" anywhere near it that some folks here wont see the opportunity to have a good auld "patriotic" song and dance over it.
My posting record proves I am not one such person. I lived there happily for over 20 years. The article said they were all owned by Britain, i did not know whether that was correct or not, I thought it was an interesting historical oddity, that's all..[/quote:1wtrerz1]

Relax Toxic - I wasn't referring to yourself and its an interesting historical oddity as you say - I was referring to the "mob" who came after you and view everything thru the prism of whether there is an opportunity to have a go at our neighbours.

Edo said:
toxic avenger said:
Edo said:
clontarfblue said:

My posting record proves I am not one such person. I lived there happily for over 20 years. The article said they were all owned by Britain, i did not know whether that was correct or not, I thought it was an interesting historical oddity, that's all..
Relax Toxic - I wasn't referring to yourself and its an interesting historical oddity as you say - I was referring to the "mob" who came after you and view everything thru the prism of whether there is an opportunity to have a go at our neighbours.[/quote:3q07a2db]

OK. Apologies.

Edo

toxic avenger said:
Edo said:

My posting record proves I am not one such person. I lived there happily for over 20 years. The article said they were all owned by Britain, i did not know whether that was correct or not, I thought it was an interesting historical oddity, that's all..[/quote]

Relax Toxic - I wasn't referring to yourself and its an interesting historical oddity as you say - I was referring to the "mob" who came after you and view everything thru the prism of whether there is an opportunity to have a go at our neighbours.[/quote:2gk0nv2l]

OK. Apologies.[/quote:2gk0nv2l]

none required - whaddya think I am , a touchy Fine Gaeler? :D

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I'm not too bothered about this.. I would encourage any cross border or inter state body which is their for the protection of citizens

I do get exercised however by the issue of ground rent and fishing rights on Irish rivers

And.. I'm not happy about the Swan situation either, that I've just been made aware of.. I think any British swans who feel oppressed should be granted asylum in Ireland (and protection from the roving bands of Eastern Europeans who seemingly kill and eat them)

fergalr

What if they take them back?

johnfás

Going by the Port Tunnel I'm rather glad someone else runs our lighthouses. I can just imagine a situation where we have to turn them off at night and rewrite the safety manual to say that's ok.

Edo

rockofcashel said:
I'm not too bothered about this.. I would encourage any cross border or inter state body which is their for the protection of citizens

I do get exercised however by the issue of ground rent and fishing rights on Irish rivers

And.. I'm not happy about the Swan situation either, that I've just been made aware of.. I think any British swans who feel oppressed should be granted asylum in Ireland (and protection from the roving bands of Eastern Europeans who seemingly kill and eat them)
What about the whole "Bird Flu" gig ROC? - not going for the farming vote next year then eh! :D

Dillinger

corkman2007 said:
Let 'em pay! They've occupied this country for centuries - this goes a tiny way towards compensating Ireland for that occupation and all the horrifying consequences that flowed from that occupation.

Yes, you are right let them pay, it serves them right for not providing us with decent road, rail and a Dublin underground system before leaving this Island. :mrgreen:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies