Britain owns all our lighthouses!!

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Edo said:
rockofcashel said:
I'm not too bothered about this.. I would encourage any cross border or inter state body which is their for the protection of citizens

I do get exercised however by the issue of ground rent and fishing rights on Irish rivers

And.. I'm not happy about the Swan situation either, that I've just been made aware of.. I think any British swans who feel oppressed should be granted asylum in Ireland (and protection from the roving bands of Eastern Europeans who seemingly kill and eat them)
What about the whole "Bird Flu" gig ROC? - not going for the farming vote next year then eh! :D
Swans dont carry bird flu. they're lovely.. and they're hardly likely to be getting up close and personal with a cow now, are they ?

fergalr

rockofcashel said:
fergalr said:
What if they take them back?
War.. matter of principle.. would you not take up arms to protect the Swans ? You monster
I meant the lighthouses.. but the swans can seek refuge out in UCD, where they have seemingly learnt somewhere to become very aggressive when approached. It doesn't help that they themselves go for little wanders in the summer around the grass by the lake.

morryah

Fionn_McCool said:
morryah said:
[quote="Fionn_McCool":31yhw1s0]

The GLAs are beneficial owners of the lighthouse estate
and pardon me but what is the GLA and who owns that?

Do they have access to / own the general lighthouse fund? So if we sell a lighthouse the funds go to the GLF which is owned by the GLA whoever that is?
There are three General Lighthouse Authorities (GLAs).

(3)The Commissioners of Irish Lights, the authority for Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

The GLAs own and operate the lighthouses in their own areas.

They are mainly funded by "Light Dues" - a tax collected from ships using the ports on these islands. All Light Dues collected in the UK and Ireland are "pooled" in a central fund called the General Lighthouse Fund (GLF).
[/quote:31yhw1s0]

yes yes yes I get the funding. I don't care about that.

Who OWNS the GLA that runs the CIL?

johnfás

Dillinger said:
corkman2007 said:
Let 'em pay! They've occupied this country for centuries - this goes a tiny way towards compensating Ireland for that occupation and all the horrifying consequences that flowed from that occupation.

Yes, you are right let them pay, it serves them right for not providing us with decent... rail ... system before leaving this Island. :mrgreen:
They gave us a pretty good one of those! Pity we decided to tear it all up.

Squire Allworthy

One of those idiosyncratic quirks of history. Part of our shared and inter-related histories. I like these anomalies.

johnfás

Point well made about rail, we really do need to increase investment and get a decent network.

fergalr

Squire Allworthy said:
One of those idiosyncratic quirks of history. Part of our shared and inter-related histories. I like these anomalies.
Anomaly is a polite word to describe our governments treating the railways of Ireland as inconvenient wastes of what could be perfectly good overgrown lanes. I know a girl out by Kingscourt and a disused railway practically goes past her door. Imagine if we still had all these lines.

Edo

rockofcashel said:
Edo said:
rockofcashel said:
I'm not too bothered about this.. I would encourage any cross border or inter state body which is their for the protection of citizens

I do get exercised however by the issue of ground rent and fishing rights on Irish rivers

And.. I'm not happy about the Swan situation either, that I've just been made aware of.. I think any British swans who feel oppressed should be granted asylum in Ireland (and protection from the roving bands of Eastern Europeans who seemingly kill and eat them)
What about the whole "Bird Flu" gig ROC? - not going for the farming vote next year then eh! :D
Swans dont carry bird flu. they're lovely.. and they're hardly likely to be getting up close and personal with a cow now, are they ?
Ye fecker - ya had me doubting myself there for a second!

http://www.thisisdorset.net/display.var ... _grows.php

True point about the swan / cattle relationship - still you know farmers - any excuse for a bit of drama and compo!

Fionn_McCool

morryah said:
Fionn_McCool said:
morryah said:
[quote="Fionn_McCool":38jjkpxw]

The GLAs are beneficial owners of the lighthouse estate
and pardon me but what is the GLA and who owns that?

Do they have access to / own the general lighthouse fund? So if we sell a lighthouse the funds go to the GLF which is owned by the GLA whoever that is?
There are three General Lighthouse Authorities (GLAs).

(3)The Commissioners of Irish Lights, the authority for Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

The GLAs own and operate the lighthouses in their own areas.

They are mainly funded by "Light Dues" - a tax collected from ships using the ports on these islands. All Light Dues collected in the UK and Ireland are "pooled" in a central fund called the General Lighthouse Fund (GLF).
yes yes yes I get the funding. I don't care about that.

Who OWNS the GLA that runs the CIL?[/quote:38jjkpxw]
The CIL is the GLA for the island of Ireland and nobody owns them.

The Commissioners of Irish Lights are a body originally set up by an Act of The Irish Parliament in the year 1786 (26 Geo. III, c. xix) and entitled "an Act for Promoting the Trade of Dublin, by rendering its Port and Harbour more commodious." (I just love that flowery language) That Act, as adapted by the Irish Lights Commissioners (Adaptation) Order, 1935 remains the legislative basis for the CIL.

grainne whale

toxic avenger said:
I never knew this was the case. Britain owns and subsidises all Irish lighthouses, and pays several thousand pounds in tax to the Revenue Commissioners. Apparently some British Lord has been getting uppity about the situation, demanding it stops. But why is it so?

Link Here
And did you also know that the staff of Irish Lights get a half day off for the Queen's birthday !!

johnfás

grainne whale said:
[quote="toxic avenger":23xp58qi]I never knew this was the case. Britain owns and subsidises all Irish lighthouses, and pays several thousand pounds in tax to the Revenue Commissioners. Apparently some British Lord has been getting uppity about the situation, demanding it stops. But why is it so?

Link Here
And did you also know that the staff of Irish Lights get a half day off for the Queen's birthday !![/quote:23xp58qi]

Which one? ;)

Alliance

johnfás said:
Dillinger said:
corkman2007 said:
Let 'em pay! They've occupied this country for centuries - this goes a tiny way towards compensating Ireland for that occupation and all the horrifying consequences that flowed from that occupation.

Yes, you are right let them pay, it serves them right for not providing us with decent... rail ... system before leaving this Island. :mrgreen:
They gave us a pretty good one of those! Pity we decided to tear it all up.

Interesting image. Thanks for posting it, surprisingly never came across it before.

My ex girlfriends father was a train fanatic and had old maps of the railway in Cork back in the start of the 20th C. Actually he maps shopwing progression of the Cork rail system from about the mid 19th C up til independence. Never realised how complex and large Corks rail and tram system was.

I'm assuming the situation in Dublin was similar?

morryah

Fionn_McCool said:
The CIL is the GLA for the island of Ireland and nobody owns them.

The Commissioners of Irish Lights are a body originally set up by an Act of The Irish Parliament in the year 1786 (26 Geo. III, c. xix) and entitled "an Act for Promoting the Trade of Dublin, by rendering its Port and Harbour more commodious." (I just love that flowery language) That Act, as adapted by the Irish Lights Commissioners (Adaptation) Order, 1935 remains the legislative basis for the CIL.

SOMEBODY owns it!

If it's set up under 1786 legislation then the UK government owns it.

If the 1935 legislation didn't take it under Irish Government ownership, then it's still owned by the UK.

So - any idea?

cactus flower

clontarfblue said:
cactus flower said:
No. I want us to own our light houses and our security forces and I don't want my old ma-in-law in Wexford to have to pay ground rent to some fecker in the UK who has never been there.
We need a Unilateral declaration of Self-Illumination.

Whats wrong with paying the rightful landlord their due rent?
Nothing rightful about it. Wrongful more like.

beardyboy

We were always told that the lighthouses around Ireland were owned by the Irish as it was part of the treaty that Dublin controlled all the territorial waters. Which included the lighthouses.

If this is correct then they are owned by Dublin.

The maidens outside Larne used to have a man from Galway on them who occasionally passed through Larne railway station. As the cashier there spoke Irish they carried out their business in Irish which turned a few heads.

morryah

D.Harry said:
Not just lighthouses. There are vast swathes of property and land still owned by British landlords, for which the occupiers still pay rent. Large sections of Castlebar and Carrickmacross spring to mind.
Also there are many valuable Irish artefacts held in British museums which our government has not even asked to be returned.
This is not to be anti-British, just to point out that we have not yet achieved full independence.
My (Irish) uncle rents out an apartment in Manchester to English people.

So there's one in the eye for them!

Sioraf

corkman2007 said:
Aye to that!

joel

morryah said:
D.Harry said:
Not just lighthouses. There are vast swathes of property and land still owned by British landlords, for which the occupiers still pay rent. Large sections of Castlebar and Carrickmacross spring to mind.
Also there are many valuable Irish artefacts held in British museums which our government has not even asked to be returned.
This is not to be anti-British, just to point out that we have not yet achieved full independence.
My (Irish) uncle rents out an apartment in Manchester to English people.

So there's one in the eye for them!

Yeah, but I bet your uncle PAID for the apartment!

Website
www.finfacts.com
markeys said:
Truly absurd situation.
We should of course own those lighthouses and a resolution should be found as soon as possible.
Urgent indeed after 86 years.

...and to think that Americans own most of our factories :shock:

Earnest

There is a cross-border body called the Foyle, Carlingford and Irish Lights Commission, and it is supposed to take charge of the Commissioners of Irish Lights at some stage in the future. According to the North/South Ministerial Council's website,
It was also intended that the FCILC would be the General Lighthouse Authority for the island of Ireland. However, a number of complexities have arisen in terms of pursuing a transfer of the existing functions of the Commissioners of Irish Lights to the Lights Agency. This matter is currently under review and is to be taken forward upon restoration of devolved Government in Northern Ireland.
The Foyle, Carlingford and Irish Lights Commission has a board of 12 members appointed by the NSMC. The Commission is Chaired by Mr Peter Savage.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies