Britain owns all our lighthouses!!

civic_critic

Re:

MichaelHennigan said:
...and to think that Americans own most of our factories :shock:
And as a result they also own our domestic and, particularly, our foreign policy. These things are meaningful and have a very direct effect on our national life.

Gaius Baltar

We must demand the government immediately re-nationalise them in the name of national security. Imagine if the British Empire decides to retake Ireland - the British controlled lighthouses will trick our naval ships and dash them against the rocks!

Somebody's got to warn the public before its too late!
:shock2:

Analyzer

I suppose means we have less property available to sell to the Germans, or the Chinese ????

B

birthday

Is this not Paddy the cute hoor being unwilling to take up his international responsibilities and pay for the running of the damn things himself?
Do we expect the British to pay for our air traffic control system also?

daveL

Let 'em pay! They've occupied this country for centuries - this goes a tiny way towards compensating Ireland for that occupation and all the horrifying consequences that flowed from that occupation.
yeah

Fianna Fail governments

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
What a strange necro-thread, anything ever happen with all this?
Since this thread was started there has been a notable decline in the visibility of the Dulux paint dog on television, the one that liked to run around lighthouses. Old and reclusive Dr. Dulux has not been seen for a while either. There could be something mysterious going on. I'll go get a green van and I say we all go and check it out the next foggy night we get. Thank god someone resurrected this thread.

cllr

I am a Commissioner of Irish Lights and thus on the Board of CIL.

It is an Irish body - an All Ireland body - based in Dun Laoghaire. Given that Northern Ireland is part of the UK sometimes their interests are represented by a UK Minister and Ministry.

CIL is a co-operative body with similar organisations surrounding the Island of Ireland and our nearest neighbours. It is funded through what are called Light House dues and these are paid into a central pot and then redistributed. the method of doing this is currently under discussion and will require legislation in the relevant Parliaments.

Lain2016

I never knew this was the case. Britain owns and subsidises all Irish lighthouses, and pays several thousand pounds in tax to the Revenue Commissioners. Apparently some British Lord has been getting uppity about the situation, demanding it stops. But why is it so?

Link Here
Probably just as well, we'd never be able to run light houses just the same as the way the Injins'd never have been able to build the railways if'n the Brits didnt do it for them :(

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies