• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Britain 'was behind ira lawyer's murder'

eoghanacht

BRITAIN 'WAS BEHIND IRA LAWYER'S MURDER'

Alan Simpson, one of the Royal Ulster Constabulary’s most senior investigators, was called in after Republican solicitor Pat Finucane was gunned down at his Belfast home in February 1989.

In his book Duplicity And Deception, to be published this week, he recalls that a few days after the murder he was visited by Wilfred Monahan, the then RUC Assistant Chief Constable.

After watching a video of the crime scene, Mr Monahan, who has since died, said : “Alan, if I were you I wouldn’t get too deeply involved in this one.”

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Britain 'was behind IRA lawyer's murder'

eoghanacht

I don't think anyone is surprised by this, but interesting to see it in a UK paper.
Very true, i expect a few more of these books by retired R.U.C men now that the conflict is over. It should make for interesting reading

blinding

Thanks for posting and the link.

It will be interesting to see what else comes out in this book.

Sadly no one is surprised that the "security forces" were involved in this murder and many others.

centauro

It will be interesting to see what else comes out in this book.

Sadly no one is surprised that the "security forces" were involved in this murder and many others.
I would be "surprised" if there was any evidence that the "security forces" were involved in "murder" If the juciest titbit which they are hanging sales of this book on, is that someone else told him "not to get too deeply involved" it sounds like a singularly boring read.

Very true, i expect a few more of these books by retired R.U.C men now that the conflict is over.
BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland

And so it goes on, day after day, but we are supposed to believe "the conflict is over" pfff.

eoghanacht

I would be "surprised" if there was any evidence that the "security forces" were involved in "murder" If the juciest titbit which they are hanging sales of this book on, is that someone else told him "not to get too deeply involved" it sounds like a singularly boring read.

BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland

And so it goes on, day after day, but we are supposed to believe "the conflict is over" pfff.
"surprised", "security forces" , "murder".

By your use of inverted comma's are you suggesting that

A. Your not surprised at these accusations

B. Security forces had nothing top do with it and this once respected member of the crown forces is lying to sell a book or he was always a rouge officer? Well, which is it?

and

C. That it wasn't actually murder?

As for posting a link about dissident republican activity, well i just fail to see how that's related to the article, they are hardliners refusing to let go, start another thread, we'll discuss them there.

This is for discussing the claims made my a retired RUC officer about the British state murdering a solicitor.

Last edited:

cricket

Express seem to be throwing out another spratt here :
" Details of his book are being closely guarded until publication but it is known that Mr Simpson will tell the astonishing story of extraordinary complicity between the UDA and the IRA "

Nodin

I have to say that using the term "IRA lawyer" in the heading is inappropriate in the extreme, regardless of the use of term in the source.

Simply

" Details of his book are being closely guarded until publication but it is known that Mr Simpson will tell the astonishing story of extraordinary complicity between the UDA and the IRA "
Who knows maybe leadership figures in your party will be asked a few questions :)

mutley

I doubt there will be much more than what we already know, ie that the Building Sites etc were carved up for extortion raquests between the two, and their was an 'understanding' to leave each others prominent members alone

sharpcut

IRA collaborator/member was gunned down by his enemies with or without help from his other enemies during low intensity conflict? Shock horror...

eoghanacht

IRA collaborator/member was gunned down by his enemies with or without help from his other enemies during low intensity conflict? Shock horror...
Condoning murder now? hmm. i thought that was just us bloodthirsty republicans that did that?

ATAT is that it?

A solicitor becomes a collaborator because he defends amongst others alledged members of the PIRA, and you think that thats reason enough for a democractic country to callously execute one of their own citizens.

As for being a member of the PIRA any links or did 'our wullie' tell you that?

onlyasking

Or - A lawyer, who defended loyalist and republican defendants alike and who was a close friend of a prominent RUC officer, was murdered, like a great many other non-unionists, in front of his wife and children with the assistance of the "forces of law and order", forces which enjoyed decades of active assistance from the republic's police not to mention massive political support from media-babblers and politicians in the republic who built careers pontificating about the murderous activities of republicans.

The fact that shortly before his murder this lawyer was fingered, under parliamentary privilege, by the British Home Secretary responsible for such "law and order" adds to the sense of a lethal pan-unionist front having been operational at all levels from the British cabinet, via the security services, the judiciary and the armed forces, through to the British proxy forces on the ground in Ireland, resulting in the deaths of well over 1,000 Irish people, the overwhelming majority of whom were utterly uninvolved in the armed conflict. All of this occurred with the support or acquiescence of the Irish political and media elites.

It's the hypocrisy, stupid.

turdsl

Very true, the main political parties and certain sections of the media only want one side to be told,
When Criss Mullins took up the case of the Beringham six he did not get much support,
of, coarse its hypocrisy, thankfully some people are still able to stand up for equal justice for all.

Amach na Casca

Interesting, how are people meant to support the PSNI/RUC now? Even a mainstream UK paper is running with how corrupt the statelets police service is. Are we to believe all is magically changed?

Thats what we get when we stand back and let Perfidious Albion run and police part of our nation! :mad: They will always promote their own interests above the citizens of their jurisdiction here, and if that includes killing them, so be it.

Murdering Brits out! EIRE 32 anois!

Portstewart

Have to the love the mock indignation and rank hypocrisy of some posters. Turd is all over the Adams McConville thread telling people to
put up or shut up, and here he/she and others are jumping on this like it is 100% fact.

Hagbard Celine

The state-directed murder of Pat Finucane was as much a war crime as the dissapearance of Jean McConville.

Both of these war crimes highlight collusion particularly when you consider that the man who ordered the dissapearance of Jean McConville is now an openly paid British asset.

kerdasi amaq

I'm quite convinced that the Republican Movement was infiltrated by its enemies, to the point that it was acting as a division of the security services. So the "securocrats" were, in effect, bombing and killing their own people to advance their careers and earn whatever awards that their masters would bestow on their lackeys.

Pat Finucane's real crime must have been that he was too good at his job(and wouldn't work for the system).

Fantasia

tnx for this post. It will come in useful when the International Criminal Court has some real powers.

sharpcut

eoghanacht said:

Condoning murder now? hmm. i thought that was just us bloodthirsty republicans that did that?
I don't think I condoned murder, merely observed that an Irish Republican being liquidated by militant Loyalists within a conflict was hardly news. Nor would it be a shock to me if some members of the UK state forces had aided in the operation in some capacity.

ATAT is that it?
It was hardly 'ATAT' being applied in this case. He was selected for liquidation on the basis that those carrying out the operation believed him to be complicit within The IRA war machine.

A solicitor becomes a collaborator because he defends amongst others alledged members of the PIRA, and you think that thats reason enough for a democractic country to callously execute one of their own citizens.
The UK state didn't liquidate Finucane, The UFF did. It was for The UFF to decide on what grounds to select their targets within the context of a vicious counter insurgency campaign.

As for being a member of the PIRA any links or did 'our wullie' tell you that?
No, I'm afraid I have a better source than that, namely Sean O'Callaghan, former head of the IRA Southern Command:

" I knew Pat Finucane reasonably well. I first met him in 1980 at a high-level IRA finance meeting in Letterkenny, Co Donegal. The meeting took place in a private room above a public house. Also present were Gerry Adams, the now-dead Tom Cahill, Pat Doherty (now the MP for West Tyrone) and several others.

Adams and Finucane arrived together in the morning and left at lunchtime. Did Finucane introduce himself as a member of the IRA? No. Did anyone present describe him as such? No. It was, however, exclusively an IRA meeting and quite clearly, without doubt, understood to be so by all present. That is the evidence of my own eyes and ears and I stand by it today as I did yesterday and as I will tomorrow.

Of course Finucane should not have been murdered, and if it is proved that anyone played a role in that murder they should pay the price. But he was not the blameless, innocent "human rights" lawyer beloved of nationalist Ireland and the quasi-liberal chattering classes in the United Kingdom.

He came to visit me several times in Crumlin Road prison in Belfast, where he spent much of his working life acting as a trusted conduit between the IRA prisoners and the leadership on the outside. Finucane wanted to represent me, but expressed no interest in my legal position. All he wanted to know was what I had told the police, and there is no doubt in my mind as an individual that he was acting as an IRA member and exploiting his own legal position for the benefit of that organisation.

When an IRA member was arrested, the first person to gain access to him was usually a solicitor. The organisation on the outside was often desperate to discover if the prisoner had made any statements incriminating himself or others, had provided information on arms dumps or future IRA operations or even had been turned by the security forces.

This was where an individual solicitor such as Finucane was invaluable to the organisation. He was different to many other lawyers who held strong political views. The renowned Belfast solicitor Paddy McCrory was undoubtedly a staunch republican, but he was a constitutionalist who demanded the highest standards from the state and never believed that the law was a weapon to be exploited by a terrorist organisation.

Pat Finucane was first and foremost an IRA volunteer, and he exploited his position ruthlessly to wage his war on the state. In Crumlin Road, I once explained to him that I had admitted the attempted murder of a UVF member from Portadown and went into some detail.

When I finished he looked at me with contempt on his face: "And after all that, you missed him." Hardly what you would expect to hear from a peace-loving man who believed in the primacy of law. The last occasion I met him was in Crumlin Road about 27 hours before he was murdered: I was, in fact, the last prisoner he spoke to.

Pat Finucane was an effective agent for the IRA. Who knows what "punishments" were exacted by the IRA as a result of his activities? Finucane did end up being murdered, but not because being a member of the IRA was immediately punishable by murder or execution - unlike being a member of the RUC , the Army, the judiciary, a civilian worker at a security force base or an agent for the state."

Finucane should not have been killed - but he was in the IRA - Telegraph

Here's some information on Pat's immediate family:

"Finucane's wife, Geraldine is the daughter of middle-class Protestants;[6] his brother, John, a Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) member, was killed on "active service" in a car crash in the Falls Road, Belfast, in 1972. His brother Dermot successfully contested attempts to extradite him to Northern Ireland from the Republic of Ireland for his part in the killing of a prison officer. He was one of 38 IRA prisoners who escaped from the Maze in 1983. His third brother Seamus was the fiance of Mairead Farrell, one of the IRA trio shot dead by the SAS in Gibraltar in 1988.[7] Seamus was leader of an IRA unit in west Belfast before his arrest in 1976 with Bobby Sands and seven other IRA men, during an attempt to destroy a furniture store in south Belfast. He was sentenced to fourteen years' imprisonment.[8]."

This information alone would have been enough for The UFF to select Pat as a target regardless of his legal position within The Republican movement. The UFF was not a police force, if they had acted as one, the war might well have been lost. They acted upon information received, that did not have to be beyond reasonable doubt - although in this case it appears to be pretty close to that standard.