British Ambassador to Saudi Arabia

Aristodemus

silverharp

I assume they have to keep to their brief. It would be interesting if the Saudi one to the UK converted to CofE :D , how long would he last when he'd get back?

silverharp

Is the British ambassador to the Vatican a Roman Catholic?

Genuine question.
I know the British used to ponder the loyalty of catholics but in terms of Islam being more a political religion, would you have allowed your British Ambassador to Russia during communism be a paid up member of the communist party? , its a bit like having a shinner minister of Justice or defence :D

gijoe

If he gets posted to Israel will he be allowed back into Saudi?

Bea C

This is the Telegraph.
I wonder how the Guardian is covering it :rolleyes:

Bea C

What kind of Islam, I didn't notice in the pieces?
It's obviously not Wahabi, seeing as how her face can actually be seen.
So at least there is that much?
Still disconcerting, however.

former wesleyan

Is the British ambassador to the Vatican a Roman Catholic?

Genuine question.
Is now. First one was a lad from Northern Ireland, all the previous ones have been Protestant. And quite right too, given the excommunication of the Henry .

eoghanacht

Must have been a requirement of an arms deal.

PeacefulViking

Is now. First one was a lad from Northern Ireland, all the previous ones have been Protestant. And quite right too, given the excommunication of the Henry .
That does not fit with what Wikipedia claims: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ambassadors_of_the_United_Kingdom_to_the_Holy_See

At present the position is empty, for one thing. A Northern Irish Roman Catholic, Francis Campbell, held the position for several years. He was the first with the title of ambassador who was a Catholic, but the first two diplomatic representatives in the 20th century were also Roman Catholics.

PeacefulViking

The British government can hardly have opinions about his religion in public, but one wonders what his superiors really feel.

I doubt it will have any real effect on his job performance, either positively or negatively. I do not think Islam, as interpreted by most Muslims, requires even any theoretical support for the Saudi regime. (The theologians employed by the Saudi government being the major exception.) So I see no conflict of interest, even theoretically.

Expose the lot of them

What kind of Islam, I didn't notice in the pieces?
It's obviously not Wahabi, seeing as how her face can actually be seen.
So at least there is that much?
Still disconcerting, however.

They were on Haj, veiling is not permitted while participating in Haj, women must go "unveiled and ungloved" and the Haj garment is supposed to be seamless.

Bea C

They were on Haj, veiling is not permitted while participating in Haj, women must go "unveiled and ungloved" and the Haj garment is supposed to be seamless.
Really? I didn't know that.
How does that balance with the no-man-should-see-me thing?

Expose the lot of them

Really? I didn't know that.
How does that balance with the no-man-should-see-me thing?
Face covering is not a requirement of Islam, it is something that was tagged on later, the prophet's wives did not cover their faces. However, hair should be covered according to the rules.

Look at Iran, even at the height of the power of the Ayatollah, the majority of women covered their hair but not their faces.

New Threads

Most Replies