British flocking to Ireland to avail of generous social welfare

Cael

As someone who deals with social wefare queries on a regular basis, it is now very apparent to me that people are returning from England to avail of our social welfare system. They are predominantly sons/daughters of Irish emigrants who are coming here to try and avail of rent allowance and free childcare etc.

If Britain cuts its welfare rates etc, then we will HAVE TO follow suit!!
Habitual residency clause doesnt seem to deter these people. They are willing to move here and then try and get social welfare!

(It seems that the majority of Eastern europeans moved when work dried up, but the Brits are moving in!)

The next time you hear of non-nationals claiming welfare, think London and not Warsaw!!!
What you actually see here is the relative overthrow-prices of the British and Dublin governments. The British government, with 400 years of constant war, slaughter and imperialist conquest behind it, seems almost impossible to overthrow. Therefore, the price the unemployed can demand for their abtinence from attempts to overthrow it is very low. 65 pounds a week.

On the other hand, overthrowing the free state would be a relatively easy matter. There are 500,000 unemployed here. They could overthrow Leinster House in a matter of hours. So, the price for their absinence is relatively high - 196 euro per week.

(I wonder will I get a Nobel prize for economics for that...)

Aindriu

The gap is certainly a good bit closer than the bare dole amounts suggest. For example you contribute some of your dole here towards your rent, I think it is circa €30 for a single person. Whereas in the UK your entire rent is paid separately in the UK and is not deducted from your dole. Plus I think there are a range of 'income support' payments in the UK on top of the bare dole figure. But it is not something I am an expert on.
You are correct. The dole figure is the very bare minimum that a job seeker is entitled to in the UK. They will also get free prescriptions, free dental treatment, free optical treatment, their rates (Council Charges) paid, their entire rent paid - if in council housing - or a large subsidy in private rents.

Overall, the amounts and benefits they can claim are HIGHER than here when it is all added up.

As for the OP, if they are sons and daughters of Irish emigrants then they ARE Irish themselves!!!

Blatant racism in the OP. Where the feck are the MODS???

Tigris Celtica

- but there is no way the majority of the Osties have gone home

- most of them are still here.

Indeed thousands more have moved here this year alone.
Indeed - I still think that I'm in flamin' Warsaw ot Gdansk every time I go to my local Tescos .:mad: But of course Brit bashing tools would much prefer to have Osties her than our nearest neighbours with whom we have more in common than any other country....:roll:

If they give us back Northern Ireland we can give them back London ...

Chrisco

You are correct. The dole figure is the very bare minimum that a job seeker is entitled to in the UK. They will also get free prescriptions, free dental treatment, free optical treatment, their rates (Council Charges) paid, their entire rent paid - if in council housing - or a large subsidy in private rents.

Overall, the amounts and benefits they can claim are HIGHER than here when it is all added up.
That's not entirely true; most of the above are means tested, and are not directly related to being unemployed. You can be in work on a very low income and still be entitled to most of them.

Aindriu

That's not entirely true; most of the above are means tested, and are not directly related to being unemployed. You can be in work on a very low income and still be entitled to most of them.
The only one that is means tested is rent relief. The others are automatic for a job seeker claimning benefit or for those on very low incomes. If someone is on job seekers allowance and has a non-working partner, they are automatically entitled to rent allowance.

Chrisco

The only one that is means tested is rent relief. The others are automatic for a job seeker claimning benefit or for those on very low incomes. If someone is on job seekers allowance and has a non-working partner, they are automatically entitled to rent allowance.
It's called Housing Benefit and no it's not. Nor is Council Tax remittance.

You are however entitled to free prescriptions, and you get a voucher toward the cost of glasses. The same happens in Ireland I think.

As someone who deals with social wefare queries on a regular basis, it is now very apparent to me that people are returning from England to avail of our social welfare system. They are predominantly sons/daughters of Irish emigrants who are coming here to try and avail of rent allowance and free childcare etc.

Habitual residency clause doesnt seem to deter these people. They are willing to move here and then try and get social welfare!

(It seems that the majority of Eastern europeans moved when work dried up, but the Brits are moving in!)

The next time you hear of non-nationals claiming welfare, think London and not Warsaw!!!
Your reference to non-nationals is curious given that it appears to be used in relation to second generation Irish. These people are Irish citizens, automatically. Is this not their true homeland? We've long boasted about our global Irish diaspora, a kind of 'mine's bigger than yours' thing, our global 70million. Should we not be delighted if the ethnic Irish are 'returning from England'? I

One other query, how do you categorise UK residents from the six counties, are they non-nationals as well?

Green eyed monster

What you actually see here is the relative overthrow-prices of the British and Dublin governments. The British government, with 400 years of constant war, slaughter and imperialist conquest behind it, seems almost impossible to overthrow. Therefore, the price the unemployed can demand for their abtinence from attempts to overthrow it is very low. 65 pounds a week.

On the other hand, overthrowing the free state would be a relatively easy matter. There are 500,000 unemployed here. They could overthrow Leinster House in a matter of hours. So, the price for their absinence is relatively high - 196 euro per week.

(I wonder will I get a Nobel prize for economics for that...)
Lol, that is funny but there is a lot of truth in it as well.

As for the OP, straight out of Naomi Klein's shock doctrine.

Aindriu

You are however entitled to free prescriptions, and you get a voucher toward the cost of glasses. The same happens in Ireland I think.
No we don't get any of that and we still have to pay €50+ to see a GP unlike over there.

doublin85

^^ You are aware that since the recession the number of people with a medical card has increased to around the 35%-40% mark. If you're on the dole, and you haven't got thousands stashed away in the bank you'll get free healthcare, free gp visits, free prescriptions, free dental care and fuel allowances, free books at school etc...
People seem to think because they pay the doc €50 everyone else does too, but trust me they don't.

doublin85

Or you aren't living with minted parents either, i should've added. Benefits exist in Ireland too, it doesn't stop at the dole, and that isn't a bad thing!!!

rubensni

Hundreds of thousands of Irish are heading back 'across the water' looking for work, with thousands of them likely to rely on child benefit, the NHS, local authority housing or social security at some stage.

Aindriu

Or you aren't living with minted parents either, i should've added. Benefits exist in Ireland too, it doesn't stop at the dole, and that isn't a bad thing!!!
If you have a working partner you aren't entitled to a medical card here usually. Furthermore, the number of GPs here who accept medical cards is quite low when you accept that EVERY GP in the UK is free to see under the NHS.

Dillinger

The Irish to did the same thing in the 1980's amd 90's. We went over there to claim. I knew one guy from Edenderry he had 11 claims going in London. If we are going to copy everything the UK does, we have to expect history to repeat itself. We are closer to Croydon than Berlin or Boston.

doublin85

If you have a working partner you aren't entitled to a medical card here usually. Furthermore, the number of GPs here who accept medical cards is quite low when you accept that EVERY GP in the UK is free to see under the NHS.

Not entirely the case, that would depend on how much a partner is earning, and despite guidelines each case is taken into consideration (hence the 35% figure)... Most GP's accept medical cards, and info on which ones do is easily accessible!!! Admittedly, it's not as good a situation as in other northern European countries, but I suppose that's what you get when people whinge about paying taxes...
The point remains that welfare is very generous, and benefits for those on welfare are widely available. I was merely pointing out it's wrong to suggest that deprived people (on welfare) have to pay for medical costs, when they don't. I don't happen to think that's a bad thing as it happens, just pointing out a slanted view of things.
Personally, I'd love if everyone paid higher taxes, water charges, property taxes.. However, as a society we can't have it both ways. Hopefully, people will realise this in the future and reallign to a more left-wing political ideology!

Btw, I think op is a load of rubbish. Never mentioned that, just went off topic.

paxtime

More unsupported tosh. Whether Irish benefits rate are higher than anywhere else is open to challenge when their real worth is examined in the context of a high cost of living. As for them being generous - utter rubbish. They are not generous either in cash terms or compared to the cash lost through tax allowances, tax avoidance and tax fraud or the removal of money fron the economy due to businesses transferring abroad to seek even more generous tax allowances and loopholes or the loot that walked with our disappearing bankers and developers and other supporters of FF or indeed in terms of the spirit in which it is dispensed.

Davidoff

Why let the facts get in the way of a good rant?

The habitual residency rules apply to everyone and are probably being applied more stringently than ever.

Having an Irish granny makes a person eligible to play soccer for Ireland. It does not entitle them to draw the dole here.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies