• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

British government apologise for another army killing in NI.

Kev408

I have done a search for a thread on the British government's latest apology: BBC News - Apology after man shot dead by Army in 1974 but cannot find one. I chose the Current Affairs forum as the apology was made Monday or Tuesday and reported on BBC yesterday.

Cunningham was shot in the back as he ran away from soldiers. He was 27 years of age with the mental age of a child (I presume the British Army soldiers were not to know this). He was unarmed.

I suspect we'll have many more of these apologies as the years go by. However, what will never be measured is the numbers of people who were driven into the arms of the para-militaries by incidents like these. The nationalist community knew about these injustices but with the British media believing their government line, and the Irish media not bothering it's arse to investigate or report fairly on anything to do with NI (still to this day) it's hardly surprising that many nationalists turned to the IRA and others. This, in turn, would have led many loyalists to join their para-military groups.

The British Army has come in for serious criticism worldwide over the years but we'll never know just how much damage their inefficiency and brutality caused in NI.

Anyway, RIP John Pat Cunningham.

Kev408

Excelt/liar, any thoughts on this? No one else seems to care but you might.

Narcissist

British government apologies mean nothing in light of their actions.

The likes of the soldiers who butchered civilians in the bogside got homecoming parades and medals, instead of being threw into a jail for the rest of their miserable lives.

They have shown time and time again that they weren't bothered by the murders of Irishmen so their mealy mouthed apologies hold as much weight as an explanation from Bertie Ahern.

Mickeymac

British government apologies mean nothing in light of their actions.

The likes of the soldiers who butchered civilians in the bogside got homecoming parades and medals, instead of being threw into a jail for the rest of their miserable lives.

They have shown time and time again that they weren't bothered by the murders of Irishmen so their mealy mouthed apologies hold as much weight as an explanation from Bertie Ahern.

Concur 100% narc, these butchers and their supporters have no place in the new Ireland of equals.

likesfish

About as worthwhile as republican apologies then.

DavidCaldwell

Well, we will try to make apologies mean something, by learning from this and trying to prevent similar incidents in the future. And I would agree that one of the key mechanisms to prevent re-occurences is to ensure that all security force killings are properly investigated and crimes and mistakes are punished.

CarnivalOfAction

I have done a search for a thread on the British government's latest apology: BBC News - Apology after man shot dead by Army in 1974 but cannot find one. I chose the Current Affairs forum as the apology was made Monday or Tuesday and reported on BBC yesterday.

Cunningham was shot in the back as he ran away from soldiers. He was 27 years of age with the mental age of a child (I presume the British Army soldiers were not to know this). He was unarmed.

I suspect we'll have many more of these apologies as the years go by. However, what will never be measured is the numbers of people who were driven into the arms of the para-militaries by incidents like these. The nationalist community knew about these injustices but with the British media believing their government line, and the Irish media not bothering it's arse to investigate or report fairly on anything to do with NI (still to this day) it's hardly surprising that many nationalists turned to the IRA and others. This, in turn, would have led many loyalists to join their para-military groups.

The British Army has come in for serious criticism worldwide over the years but we'll never know just how much damage their inefficiency and brutality caused in NI.

Anyway, RIP John Pat Cunningham.
It was far from an isolated killing of an unarmed civilian by the British Forces in Ireland in that year:

"Hugh Devine (30) Catholic
Shot during altercation with British Army (BA) foot patrol, Olympic Drive, Ballycolman, Strabane, County Tyrone.

Patrick McElhone (23) Catholic
Shot shortly after being taken from his home by British Army (BA) patrol, Limehill, near Pomeroy, County Tyrone."

Not forgetting the 34 innocent civilians deliberately murdered in the Forgotten Massacre.

Not one British Forces killer jailed, convicted, charged or even arrested.

Don't know if they were promoted in these instances as happened after the Bloody Sunday massacre.

Mickeymac

It was far from an isolated killing of an unarmed civilian by the British Forces in Ireland in that year:

"Hugh Devine (30) Catholic
Shot during altercation with British Army (BA) foot patrol, Olympic Drive, Ballycolman, Strabane, County Tyrone.

Patrick McElhone (23) Catholic
Shot shortly after being taken from his home by British Army (BA) patrol, Limehill, near Pomeroy, County Tyrone."

Not forgetting the 34 innocent civilians deliberately murdered in the Forgotten Massacre.

Not one British Forces killer jailed, convicted, charged or even arrested.

Don't know if they were promoted in these instances as happened after the Bloody Sunday massacre.

Don't know about promotions sir, but many of these State killers were awarded medals.

longmarch

It happened. The apology obviously has little effect for some people and they are entitled to hold the view.

There is no way of turning the clock back to correct injustices like these. I fully appreciate the anger that must be felt over things like this.

My community has to swallow many bitter pills but in the interest of peace we must move on.

I can only hope the apology may bring some closure for the family

InsideImDancing

It happened. The apology obviously has little effect for some people and they are entitled to hold the view.

There is no way of turning the clock back to correct injustices like these. I fully appreciate the anger that must be felt over things like this.

My community has to swallow many bitter pills but in the interest of peace we must move on.

I can only hope the apology may bring some closure for the family
Both communities suffered in equal measure mate, people need to realise this and avoid the hypocrisy.

Global Justice

Well, we will try to make apologies mean something, by learning from this and trying to prevent similar incidents in the future. And I would agree that one of the key mechanisms to prevent re-occurences is to ensure that all security force killings are properly investigated and crimes and mistakes are punished.
Eh? For an ex-service man you certainly are ignorant of the history of your armed terrorist crown forces. They've been up to this sort of behaviour for hundreds of years, so how come they still haven't learnt?

Swords Hoopster

Eh? For an ex-service man you certainly are ignorant of the history of your armed terrorist crown forces. They've been up to this sort of behaviour for hundreds of years, so how come they still haven't learnt?
Come on now GJ. I don't often agree with Caldwell but I thought that was a fair and reasonable statement on his part.

Why don't you cut him a bit of slack, eh?

Global Justice

Come on now GJ. I don't often agree with Caldwell but I thought that was a fair and reasonable statement on his part.

Why don't you cut him a bit of slack, eh?
I'm not falling for any Brit propaganda rhetoric. The crown has been responsible for the deaths of millions and millions of innocent people. Let's hear apologies for all these massacres and brutality, then maybe, just maybe I'll begin to accept the sincerity from the death machine

vinoboy

I'm not falling for any Brit propaganda rhetoric. The crown has been responsible for the deaths of millions and millions of innocent people. Let's hear apologies for all these massacres and brutality, then maybe, just maybe I'll begin to accept the sincerity from the death machine
Yawn - milions and millions of innocent people- hyperbole overdrive - still trying to cope with today's medication ? :D

CarnivalOfAction

I disagree GJ; David has mad a very fair point in wanting "to ensure that all security force killings are properly investigated and crimes and mistakes are punished." And it's not his 1st. Fair is fair.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies