• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

British identity

raetsel

Certainly not denying the effect of Brexit but I do feel nationalists tend to get quite giddy with respect to polls.. years ago it was the catholic birth rate, now its Brexit.

I know the poll, it was from December. As I said, more recent Ipsos Mori puts it 32 UI v 45 UK. Pinch of salt mate.

I would see an election where nationalists clearly outvote unionists as a sure sign of nationalism on the move, but I haven't seen that yet.

Lets see what happens before you start printing new road signs.
Non unionists (i.e. including Alliance and the Greens) are already outvoting unionists. A clear majority of Alliance and Green voters can be defined as leaning nationalist, rather than unionist. It is not that easy to find the evidence but PR election transfers provide it. In the 2014 Euro election 71% of Alliance transfers went to the SDLP, compared to 29 to the 2 remaining unionist candidates.
The point is that these voters are pragmatists who unlike most unionists do not have any emotional attachment to Britain. And unionists can no longer depend on the rallying cry of Rome Rule to scare moderate Protestants.
The argument will be won by focussing on the moderates on both sides and it will be based on economics, and whether we are to remain a beggar economy forever reliant on handouts from SE England, while a large number of our people are employed on zero hours contracts, and minimum wage jobs in Poundland, Asda and KFC. In a united Ireland Belfast would be well placed to attract almost as much
of the lucrative inward investment that Dublin enjoys.

Se0samh

Belfast city council is only a portion of the Belfast metro area.. which is still mostly unionist. Overwhelmingly so. What I will say to you is I do acknowledge the long term gains seen by nationalism but what I dispute is that this is a straight line towards 50% + 1. That part remains to be seen.

The data I shared with you is the standard cain data which anyone with the remotest interest in NI politics should be aware of. If you want to put on a broadway song and dance over it then that's your issue.
Don't bullshit, it's a claim made by an interested party that isn't backed up by anything else, especially by any trend in election results, which you already know hence your initial reluctance to provide the link...otherwise you would explain why less than 60% of Westminster seats are now held by unionists and that total will shortly fall and why Belfast is now a green city as are nearly all of the cities in the north...Lisburn excepted of course....:D

death or glory

The local lodge marches past my door every year...with my and my neighbours permission...no big deal...and that'll remain like that while they behave themselves... :)
As I thought no biggy,
Just lie back and enjoy the music and culture.
Sure I might even give you a wave if you take off your Celtic top for the day.

Se0samh

As I thought no biggy,
Just lie back and enjoy the music and culture.
Sure I might even give you a wave if you take off your Celtic top for the day.
Nah! That's what noise cancelling is for...I don't mind giving my orange neighbours a bye ball for 20 minutes or so a year...so long as they behave themselves and keep the caterwauling down...

death or glory

Northern Ireland is part of the UK,

No need to reclaim it.

An international agreement says that.

The only problem is Brexit has torn up that agreement and the backstop which defends the agreement is being challenged by the Brexiteers.

That is indefensible.
I know it's part of the UK, we are claiming the whole UK as is our inherent right back from the EU.
As sunny Jim says we joined the EU as one country and we will be leaving as one.

Sure colonial rule hasn't been that bad and if the savages had any manners they would stop biting the hand that feeds them.

death or glory

They won South Belfast by a fluke - non unionists are now a clear majority. North Belfast would have gone nationalist long ago were it not for the fact that unionists have obstructed new housing in the constituency, effectively forcing young nationalists to buy homes further out in Newtownabbey. But the Grim Reaper will swing the balance within 10 years. A nationalist majority of Westminster seats is imminent. Upper Bann and East Derry will fall in another 30 years.
So much for the imminent United Ireland.
As you foresee us still electing British MP 's in 30 years time.
Bit of an own goal there, mucker.
The truth is out just accept it.

Se0samh

100% of what?
12 Westminster seats out of 12...have you a short term memory problem or what...this has already been discussed...do you want to move it along to the percentage of cities in the north that are already non unionist...or do you want to keep on bullshitting...

Lord Talbot

12 Westminster seats out of 12...have you a short term memory problem or what...this has already been discussed...do you want to move it along to the percentage of cities in the north that are already non unionist...or do you want to keep on bullshitting...
Westminster seat %?

The Nats percent of Westminster seats has dropped since 2010. Hardly a revolution is it.

Se0samh

Westminster seat %?

The Nats percent of Westminster seats has dropped since 2010. Hardly a revolution is it.

You're basing your opinions on a 7 year slot...now I know you're a cretin....I'll leave it to our readers to judge...it'll not take too long... I've wasted enough time on you...bye now...:rolleyes:

Lord Talbot

You're basing your opinions on a 7 year slot...now I know you're a cretin....I'll leave it to our readers to judge...it'll not take too long... I've wasted enough time on you...bye now...:rolleyes:
toddle off then, back to your hope chest of dreams.

raetsel

So much for the imminent United Ireland.
As you foresee us still electing British MP 's in 30 years time.
Bit of an own goal there, mucker.
The truth is out just accept it.
DOG You have the concentration abilities of a flea. I take a conservative view on Irish unity. I don't believe that the next referendum on the matter will be successful, and have often projected to happen in around 30 years time.
Here is proof of that:

I haven't looked at the GFA in a while but I assumed that was spelt out. Was the "50%=+1" thing not just shorthand for a referendum?
Only a fool would claim that all nationalist voters would vote for Irish unity at present. For instance there are a lot of public sector workers who vote nationalists who'd baulk at the idea without very specific guarantees on job security.
Two decades from now that still probably will not translate into a majority, even with a higher Protestant/unionist mortality rate.
So for that reason the crux time will come around the middle of the century.
It may come quicker because of Brexit. Who knows? But I have never predicted it.
The point that I actually made in that post was that, on the assumption that we are still in the UK 30 years hence, nationalists will have an 11 to 7 ratio majority in the HoC, and the unionist argument will then become unsustainable.
You're not even a tenth as clever as you think DOG. Tough shit.
Thanks for letting me make that clear to you though. 😀

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies