• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!
D

Deleted member 39930

The man's an idiot. I have very little sympathy for him. He needs a good metaphorical kick up the hole.

But any stay in prison would seem extremely inappropriate.
It may seem inappropriate, but it is in line with the law. Personally, I think it's entirely warranted.

rainmaker

Administrator
Put a fork in it. Britoons done. This is straight out of 1984. Going by this case you might get the death penalty for calling someone a black ************************ in Britain. Imagine the black was a tranny and in a wheelchair too? They'd probably hang your entire family for that.
Yes I agree, it's a dreadful infringement on your personal freedom that you can't stand in the street shouting 'you black b****ds' at people passing by. Whatever happened to free speech, eh.

Are the cretins on this thread for real?

razorblade

No. Because dogs cannot do that. The dogs owner thought he was being smart using the dog to get his message across. That's why the owner was taken to court, and not the dog.

Look, I really do not have the time or the volume of crayons required to make this easier for you to grasp.
I'm well aware of that thank you very much but freedom of speech is freedom of speech regardless being offensive shouldn't be a crime especially an imprisonable one how far do want to take this before it turns into a completely totalitarian society.

Cruimh

Yes I agree, it's a dreadful infringement on your personal freedom that you can't stand in the street shouting ' you black b****ds' at people passing by. Whatever happened to free speech, eh.

Isn't it strange that just after we lose January2018 along comes the equally liberal NativeWildCat .....

ireallyshouldknowbetter

So an instruction of "Gas the Jews" is not incitement?
Congratulations, this is probably the most idiotic comment I've ever seen on p.ie. You can't incite a dog to commit genocide. It also wasn't an "instruction".

It is blindingly obvious to anyone watching the original video that nobody was inciting anybody to do anything. It was a piece of comedy. And it was very funny.

Clanrickard

It is. Aside from incitement to violence or deliberately defaming someone anything else should be allowed. Remeber he was convicted of being grossly offensive. To whom? There are any number of Jews on social media who said they laughed. I consider myself a Zionist and utterly against anti-Semitism and I laughed. What this means is that for the crime of offending people you can now go to prison.

rainmaker

Administrator
I'm well aware of that thank you very much but freedom of speech is freedom of speech regardless being offensive shouldn't be a crime especially an imprisonable one how far do want to take this before it turns into a completely totalitarian society.
There is no such thing as absolute freedom of speech. There never has been either - you will find that in most advanced nations no one has the right to publicly call for the gassing of a minority.

I find it notable that many here citing freedom of speech to defend a 'gas the Jews' call, are many of the same posters who at some point have demanded that Remain voting Brits and anti Trump Americans accept democracy and be silent.

Their belief in freedom of speech is marvelously flexible.

razorblade

Who is anyone to decide what you can and can't say or what is and isn't offensive its the free speech aspect of it which needs protecting you either believe in free speech or you don't anyone can say anything you don't like but tough you need to grow a thicker skin and deal with it I'm a free speech absolutistic and I'll be damned if im forced to apologise for it.

Fritzbox

First we had cats that look like Hitler - now we have dogs which act like him!

silverharp

There is no such thing as absolute freedom of speech. There never has been either - you will find that in most advanced nations no one has the right to publicly call for the gassing of a minority.

I find it notable that many here citing freedom of speech to defend a 'gas the Jews' call, are many of the same posters who at some point have demanded that Remain voting Brits and anti Trump Americans accept democracy and be silent.

Their belief in freedom of speech is marvelously flexible.
you are like a less talented cathy newman , there is no "call" , that's just the hamsters in your head. Context means something

rainmaker

Administrator
Who is anyone to decide what you can and can't say or what is and isn't offensive its the free speech aspect of it which needs protecting you either believe in free speech or you don't anyone can say anything you don't like but tough you need to grow a thicker skin and deal with it I'm a free speech absolutistic and I'll be damned if im forced to apologise for it.
Except when you hear Remain campaigners or Clinton supporters speaking - then they need shutting up.

What you want is the freedom to spout hatred about people you personally don't like - that's not the same thing.

D

Deleted member 39930

It is. Aside from incitement to violence or deliberately defaming someone anything else should be allowed. Remeber he was convicted of being grossly offensive. To whom? There are any number of Jews on social media who said they laughed. I consider myself a Zionist and utterly against anti-Semitism and I laughed. What this means is that for the crime of offending people you can now go to prison.
Sorry, it isn't. The right to free speech is not absolute anywhere in the world. Never has been, and never will be. Along with rights come responsibilities. And your responsibility to not break any number of various hate speech laws trumps your freedom of expression every time in Western Society.

D

Deleted member 39930

Legislators and the judiciary. And hundreds of years of case law in many, many different countries.

Clanrickard

Except when you hear Remain campaigners or Clinton supporters speaking - then they need shutting up.

What you want is the freedom to spout hatred about people you personally don't like - that's not the same thing.
Has anyone arrested Remain campaigners or Clinton supporters and charged them with being "grossly offensive"?

stopdoingstuff

Last edited:
Last edited:
Who was incited? I have yet to see an army of house pets carrying swasktikas. He was making a joke and that is all there is to it. The judge who found him guilty and the retards who wrote those laws are far closer to nazi authoritarianism that he is and I fear them more than any comedian. He did nothing wrong, not by a long shot. States who police people to this degree are infringing on people's human rights and are eroding their own legitimacy. This is why people vote for populists and racists- the mainstream have become so scarily totalitarian and remote that they somehow look like the better deal.

DexterGreen22

Yes I agree, it's a dreadful infringement on your personal freedom that you can't stand in the street shouting 'you black b****ds' at people passing by. Whatever happened to free speech, eh.

No, shouting "Black Bastard" should not be something a man is jailed for.

I say that as someone who has had "Fenian Bastard", "Taig", "Mickey Bastard" and "Bead Rattler" etc directed at him on numerous occasions over the years. So long as it is just shouting an no physical violence there is no need to prosecute someone for say "Black bastard".

Clanrickard

Sorry, it isn't. The right to free speech is not absolute anywhere in the world. Never has been, and never will be. Along with rights come responsibilities. And your responsibility to not break any number of various hate speech laws trumps your freedom of expression every time in Western Society.
Read my post again............slowly. On balance the US has it right. Apart from slandering someone intentionally or carelessly and inciting hatred against an identifiable group you should be allowed say what you like. I never said free speech was absolute. And even by hate speech standards charging this guy is utterly OTT.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom