• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

British Legion visits the Nazis

former wesleyan

It's an interesting story, but doesn't shed much light on anyting. Anti-semitism was rife in all of Europe, including Britain and Ireland so the Dachau incident had few resonances in 1935. Years later Chamberlain was still trying for peace.

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com
Fair play to the Legion for at least declaring it happened, even if it is 75 years later.

ocoonassa

lol @ The Daily Mail with the original article "The British Legion’s shameful visit to Hitler"

They supported Hitler right up until 1939.

kodak

While this is an important story from a historical points of view it has no revelance for the Legion of today.Why are people so interested in the Nazis and Hitler while ignoring Stalin, Mao etc.

locke

Came up on a course I did a few years ago that the Russians Kept Sachsenhausen operational until 1950.
I visited Buchenwald a number of years ago and the same thing was said there. In fact, of the 40,000 or so deaths there, about 20% occured when the Soviets were running the place.

However, Buchenwald wasn't actually an extermination camp and unlike most other concentration camps, it was primarily used for political opponents rather than Jews, Gypsies etc.

Cruimh

I visited Buchenwald a number of years ago and the same thing was said there. In fact, of the 40,000 or so deaths there, about 20% occured when the Soviets were running the place.

However, Buchenwald wasn't actually an extermination camp and unlike most other concentration camps, it was primarily used for political opponents rather than Jews, Gypsies etc.
For obvious reasons it's a terribly emotive subject as all are tainted by the extermination camps. Internment camps existed during WWII in the UK and ROI - but couldnt in any way be fairly compared to the totalitarian states' hell holes.

Cael

Last edited:

Schomberg

what the Anglo-Saxons did to the Native Americans.
wasn't it a paddy who said "the only good injun is a dead injun" ;)

yellowfish

Im not surprised at all. After all, the British empire completely exterminated the Tasmanian race, and Hitler said that the British empire was his inspiration. He based the Osminiserium on the British East India Company, and looked forward to doing to the Slaves what the Anglo-Saxons did to the Native Americans.

And how do you feel about the fact that the BL were trying to promote peace and avoid a repeat of the first world war?
I suppose if they and their like had not gone they would be warmongers. I saw this on the news this am, the men were all 1st world war vets. Frankly i doubt you would be able to understand their motivations, your bias and prejudice would not let you.

SevenStars

And of course Comrade Stalin continued the use of some of the concentration camps after WWII - doubtless that was down to the British Empire as well ;)
Say what you want....Comrade Stalin will be remembered with love and admiration by the world's majiority just as the British Empire will be remembered as a nightmare.

SevenStars

Oh my giddy aunt petunia

He's behind Pol Pot and Kim Jong-il .....
Which is why the Russian Orthodox Church may well be canonizing him as a saint soon....??? :rolleyes:

In the minds of such as yourself who rightly fear his memory maybe....

Cael

And how do you feel about the fact that the BL were trying to promote peace and avoid a repeat of the first world war?
I suppose if they and their like had not gone they would be warmongers. I saw this on the news this am, the men were all 1st world war vets. Frankly i doubt you would be able to understand their motivations, your bias and prejudice would not let you.
Visiting a consentration camp to promote peace - thats a first...

Cael

Well, one things for sure, the next time some west brit opens his ugly ignorant mouth to condemn Sean Russell, he'll have those pics of the British Legion's love-in with Hitler shoved down his scabby throat.

Schomberg

Visiting a consentration camp to promote peace - thats a first...
i dunno...you lot were murdering people to achieve "peace" so ye've a lot in common with the nazis petunia