• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

British Nationalism vs Irish Nationalism

paddy234

Yesterday the majority of the British or should i say English people voted to leave the EU. Looking at the campaign and with the fear mongering i have to say i'm actually quite impressed with English Nationalism and how it didn't bow to the pressure of fear propaganda like the Irish people did when they had to vote a second time. The vote to leave the EU was mainly over what the English people saw as the Eroding of it's culture and values and while economically they knew that if they were successful there would follow a period of uncertainty they knew they would come out the other side.

In the South of Ireland you have the most spineless government in the EU whose people voted once again for the FF/FG fiasco therefore deserving nothing less. Looking at Irish people north and South if you were to talk about the border poll one of the first things many from the South will bring up is can we afford it and if your from the North many Nationalists will see the huge benefit the NHS has and the fact that so many of them are in civil servant jobs thus believing they are better off being a basket case to Britain. How pathetic is this and how are many so spineless and subservient especially if you look at the breed of Republicans who fought and sacrificed everything for this country and yet people will deny their own identities over where they are more likely to have fuller pockets. If this mentality existed a century ago then Ireland as a whole would still be ruled by Britain. My hope however is that many grow to see this and embrace Republicanism which Ireland desperately needs now more than ever

parentheses

English nationalism was dormant for a very long time, but it has arisen.

The thing about the English, I suppose, is England has never been defeated in war nor has it been an occupied nation.

So they have a self-confidence that other nations lack.

paddy234

The thing about the English, I suppose, is England has never been defeated in war nor has it been an occupied nation.

England was invaded by the Romans, Saxons and Normans and they usually embraced the culture who gave the most stability. Ireland however pushed out the Vikings twice and had resisted the English since they first landed. The English used to look down on the Irish because we wouldn't submit to a class based system whereas we looked down on them because they did. We have always historically been less subsevient to the corrupt elite however we have changed in recent times. We have no excuse however and have a reputation from being a fiery people. I do think we have placed values aside however due to greed

Sister Mercedes

If nationalism is kicking off again all over Europe, shouldn't we be thinking about increasing our defense spending from the lowest in the EU at 0.5% of GDP to a more sensible 2%?

We're the Alderaan of Europe ..

Gurdiev77

England was invaded by the Romans, Saxons and Normans and they usually embraced the culture who gave the most stability. Ireland however pushed out the Vikings twice and had resisted the English since they first landed. We have no excuse and have a reputation from being a fiery people. I do think we have placed values aside however due to greed
Fear of poverty is not the same as greed .

RasherHash

They have been defeated many times, by the yanks, French, Dutch, irish, Germans etc.

They just write all the history books you read.

Polly Ticks

I'm a Republican. Nationalists are the lowest form of life in every country.

paddy234

Fear of poverty is not the same as greed .
Fear of poverty??? Really you think that would be the result of such action??? Nonsense and you know it. Anyway the South of Ireland struggled since it split from Britain in 1921, wouldn't Ireland have been economically better off in the British empire??? Of course but then we would of ended up still being a subservient colony today. Our identity is not based on where we are most financially well off

Sister Mercedes

Fear of poverty??? Really you think that would be the result of such action??? Nonsense and you know it. Anyway the South of Ireland struggled since it split from Britain in 1921, wouldn't Ireland have been economically better off in the British empire??? Of course but then we would of ended up still being a subservient colony today. Our identity is not based on where we are most financially well off
Scotland has a distinct identity, despite being under English rule for all this time.

Gurdiev77

It's your OP ......you're the one accusing the Irish people of being spineless and subservient .
You GO ON to say we have placed our values aside due to greed .

What are you on about ?
You're the one accusing the Irish nation of being spinelss

statsman

Nationalism is a dangerous form of narrow mindedness, wherever it arises.

paddy234

It's your OP ......you're the one accusing the Irish people of being spineless and subservient .
You GO ON to say we have placed our values aside due to greed .

What are you on about ?
You're the one accusing the Irish nation of being spinelss
I said i believe many people today to be spineless and hold no values compared to those who liberated most of this country and continue to fight for the rest of it

Glaucon

There's a huge difference between Scottish or Irish nationalism, which are broad liberal coalitions dedicated to independence from a larger power, and narrow ethnically-based inward looking nationalism like the British or French varities or Ulster Unionism/Loyalism, which is a subset of British nationalism.

The distinction is important.

Trainwreck

Most Americans would have something to say about that...

RasherHash

It has its place as when people are oppressed by violent imperialism, nationalism in that instance is necessary and positive.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies