• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

British officials predicted war – and Arab defeat – in Palestine in 1948

L'Chaim

Would Israel accept the establishment of an "Arab state" in the Arab-majority areas of Israel (i.e. excluding the West Bank and Gaza)?

No? Didn't think so.
Oh I think it would. There are many Arab villages and towns along Israel's side of the 67 Green line. About 15% of Israeli Arabs live in these areas. So how about territory and population swaps? All the Israeli Arabs could become citizens of a palestinian state and those areas could become palestinian and then all the Jewish majority areas on the west Bank could become part of Israel. So just move areas from one state to another and both sides should be happy. Nobody would have to leave their homes

L'Chaim

Here's a part of the report you won't like then...
From an article in The Jerusalem Post.

British Mandate boss said Jews were ‘like Nazis’
Newly published records reveal British High Commissioner of Palestine viewed Jewish fighters in 1940s as analogous to Nazis.
On April 30, 1948, Alan Cunningham wrote to his superiors that as the Jews celebrated military successes, their “broadcasts, both in content and in manner of delivery, are remarkably like those of Nazi Germany." I don't actually get what he means by that, insofar as every victor in war celebrates their military successes. Are all victors in wars who celebrate in their broadcasts, both in content and in their manner of delivery like those of Nazis? I would give the man some leeway. It wasn't so long after the King David hotel bombings. The British High Commissioner of palestine was probably just a tad emotional. After all the Jews wanted the Britsh out of palestine too

eyelight

On April 30, 1948, Alan Cunningham wrote to his superiors that as the Jews celebrated military successes, their “broadcasts, both in content and in manner of delivery, are remarkably like those of Nazi Germany." I don't actually get what he means by that, insofar as every victor in war celebrates their military successes. Are all victors in wars who celebrate in their broadcasts, both in content and in their manner of delivery like those of Nazis? I would give the man some leeway. It wasn't so long after the King David hotel bombings. The British High Commissioner of palestine was probably just a tad emotional. After all the Jews wanted the Britsh out of palestine too
91 people killed in a terrorist bombing and he's "a tad emotional"?

You don't say!

Little_Korean

As someone who cheered for Israel in the Six-day War, it was reading Leon Uris later that made me realise that the Jewish people in Israel / Palestine were not necessarily the good guys! He makes some very disparaging remarks about the Arabs; nowadays we'd probably call them racist.
I haven't read any of Leon Uris but would a novelist really be the best source on, well, anything?

former wesleyan

I haven't read any of Leon Uris but would a novelist really be the best source on, well, anything?
The film was about 4 hours long. Famous Jewish critic at the premiere called out.... " let my people go! " :D

eyelight

The bombing of the King David Hotel had, at the time, the biggest death toll of any single terrorist action ever. This was only surpassed over 40 years later by the Pan Am flight 103 bombing over Lockerbie.

And yet, the mastermind behind this outrage ends up as President of Israel.

And, the bombing is still brazenly celebrated by the Israeli state.
In July 2006, the Menachem Begin Heritage Center organized a conference to mark the 60th anniversary of the bombing. The conference was attended by past and future Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former members of Irgun. A plaque commemorating the bombing was unveiled, stating "For reasons known only to the British, the hotel was not evacuated." The British Ambassador in Tel Aviv and the Consul-General in Jerusalem protested, saying "We do not think that it is right for an act of terrorism, which led to the loss of many lives, to be commemorated", and wrote to the Mayor of Jerusalem that such an act of terror could not be honoured, even if it was preceded by a warning. The British government also demanded the removal of the plaque, pointing out that the statement accusing the British of failing to evacuate the hotel was untrue and "did not absolve those who planted the bomb."

To prevent a diplomatic incident, and over the objections of Knesset member Reuven Rivlin (Likud), who raised the matter in the Knesset, changes were made in the plaque's text, though to a greater degree in the English than the Hebrew version.
The final English version says, "Warning phone calls has [sic] been made to the hotel, The Palestine Post and the French Consulate, urging the hotel's occupants to leave immediately. The hotel was not evacuated and after 25 minutes the bombs exploded. To the Irgun's regret, 92 persons were killed." The death toll given includes Avraham Abramovitz, the Irgun member who was shot during the attack and died later from his wounds, but only the Hebrew version of the sign makes that clear.
I bet Alan Cunningham was "a tad emotional".

L'Chaim

Yes, I know all that. There was shock and horror among the Jews in palestine and among Jews in the diaspora. The Jewish Agency, which was representing Jews in palestine, denounced, what it called, the dastardly crime, carried out by a "gang of desperadoes" and it called on all Jews in palestine to "rise up against these abominable outrages". The Chief Rabbi in palestine spoke out too against this crime. And during the funerals, the next day, all work and traffic stopped in Jewish areas in mourning for the dead. And as a resukt of the bombing agreements between the Haganah and Irgun broke down and the Jewish resistance movement, to all intents and purposes, came to an end. Politically it wasn't a good move either because it made things worse for Jews. On July 29 the British then passed an act that all Jews who were considered 'illegal refugees' who were caught, many who were refugees from Germany, Poland, Romania and other eastern european countries, would be deported to camps in Cyprus. And between August 46 and Dec 47 over 50,000 Jews were taken to Cyprus and put in camps and guarded by British troops

And as for your point "the mastermind behind this outrage ends up as President of Israel", people engaged in 'terrorism' can come in from the cold. Dev became president of Ireland

Last edited:

eyelight

And as for your point "the mastermind behind this outrage ends up as President of Israel", people engaged in 'terrorism' can come in from the cold. Dev became president of Ireland
Indeed the bastard did.
Just goes to prove that having a crazed terrorist fanatic as leader of a state is never a good thing.

Little_Korean

The film was about 4 hours long. Famous Jewish critic at the premiere called out.... " let my people go! " :D
Wasn't there a reference to that, with Groucho Marx saying the line, in The Devil's Rejects (a movie that's all you need for a well-rounded education)?

Dame_Enda

L'Chaim said:
And yet you refuse to accept that can happen with respect to Hamas. Your double standards are exposed once again. :roll:

L'Chaim

And yet you refuse to accept that can happen with respect to Hamas. Your double standards are exposed once again. :roll:
Now you just made that up didn't you, because I never said any such thing. I'm sure when the palestinian leaders, like those in Hamas, make agreement to stop their terrorist campaign against Israel (and their own people) they can come in from the cold too. Just like Martin McGuinness etc. did in NI

FakeViking

The bombing of the King David Hotel had, at the time, the biggest death toll of any single terrorist action ever. This was only surpassed over 40 years later by the Pan Am flight 103 bombing over Lockerbie.

And yet, the mastermind behind this outrage ends up as President of Israel.

And, the bombing is still brazenly celebrated by the Israeli state.

I bet Alan Cunningham was "a tad emotional".
It's just like listening to the dissident provos excuse Omagh by blaming the RUC for not evacuating it

Paridell

Yes, L'Chaim, every victor in war celebrates his successes. However, in comparing the Israeli broadcasts to those of Nazi Germany, Alan Cunningham would have had in mind the specific characteristics of Nazi broadcasts - otherwise there would have been no point in mentioning Nazi broadcasts in particular. Nazi reportage, as seen in Occupied Europe in the weekly newsreel Deutsche Wochenschau, was propagandistic, racially slanted, and very one-sided as to actual information. The British were very familiar with this style from the radio broadcasts in English of William Joyce, 'Lord Haw-Haw'.

Were the Israeli broadcasts really like that? They must have been close enough to strike a chord with Cunningham.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies