• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

British PM 'shocked' at the level of state collusion in Pat Finucane's murder.

theloner

Pretty shocking stuff and extremely sad for all actors invloved, particularly the Finucane family. The review finds the British Army and Special Branch had advance notice of a series of planned UDA assassinations, but took no action.

Cameron said, 'It should have been clear to the RUC Special Branch from the threat intelligence that...the UDA were about to mount an imminent attack but "...it is clear that they took no action whatsoever to act on the threat intelligence,'. "I am deeply sorry," he said, adding that the Finucanes had suffered "the most grievous wrongs".

Five areas of state collusion identified by de Silva review

1. There were extensive "leaks" of security force information to the UDA and other loyalist paramilitary groups.

2. There was a failure by the authorities to act on threat intelligence.

3. Employees of the State and State agents played "key roles" in the murder.

4. There was a failure to investigate and arrest key members of the West Belfast UDA over a long period of time.

5. There was a wider "relentless attempt to defeat the ends of justice" after the murder had taken place.

Sir Desmond found that "senior Army officers deliberately lied to criminal investigators" and that RUC Special Branch "were responsible for seriously obstructing the investigation".

Source: David Cameron
BBC News - Pat Finucane murder: 'Shocking state collusion', says PM
No state conspiracy in Finucane murder - UTV Live News

Ren84

Silence from unionism deafening. Clearing some rags flying atop city hall is far more important. :rolleyes:

RedCloud

Silence from unionism deafening. Clearing some rags flying atop city hall is far more important. :rolleyes:
A casualty of 'war', no ? :)

eoghanacht

Dave's obviously mistaken there was no collusion sher sharpcut, finchy and CR said there wasn't.

Stoopid Dave.

theloner

A casualty of 'war', no ? :)
Your contributions do more for the nationalist cause than any republican ever could. Do continue.

Grumpy Jack

Pretty shocking stuff and extremely sad for all actors invloved, particularly the Finucane family. The review finds the British Army and Special Branch had advance notice of a series of planned UDA assassinations, but took no action.

Cameron said, 'It should have been clear to the RUC Special Branch from the threat intelligence that...the UDA were about to mount an imminent attack but "...it is clear that they took no action whatsoever to act on the threat intelligence,'. "I am deeply sorry," he said, adding that the Finucanes had suffered "the most grievous wrongs".

Five areas of state collusion identified by de Silva review

1. There were extensive "leaks" of security force information to the UDA and other loyalist paramilitary groups.

2. There was a failure by the authorities to act on threat intelligence.

3. Employees of the State and State agents played "key roles" in the murder.

4. There was a failure to investigate and arrest key members of the West Belfast UDA over a long period of time.

5. There was a wider "relentless attempt to defeat the ends of justice" after the murder had taken place.

Sir Desmond found that "senior Army officers deliberately lied to criminal investigators" and that RUC Special Branch "were responsible for seriously obstructing the investigation".

Source: David Cameron
BBC News - Pat Finucane murder: 'Shocking state collusion', says PM
No state conspiracy in Finucane murder - UTV Live News
Just a thought, but could this be one where they blame the dead guys?

That Chinook that went down on the Mull of Kintyre in June 1994 was packed with senior RUC SB men, military intelligence officers and MI5 spooks.

And dead men can't defend themselves or tell any tales.

S

SeamusNapoleon

Just a thought, but could this be one where they blame the dead guys?

That Chinook that went down on the Mull of Kintyre in June 1994 was packed with senior RUC SB men, military intelligence officers and MI5 spooks.

And dead men can't defend themselves or tell any tales.
An interesting thought, alright.
How does this compare next to the Saville inquiry and the determination not to pursue those paratroopers for murder?

On this particular case, it seems somebody knocked over the small barrel of rotten apples so that they spilled everywhere.

vivabrigada

vivabrigada

Geraldine Finucane describes the de Silva report into her husband's murder as a sham, whitewash....not the truth.
As we all know.

RedCloud

vivabrigada

between the bridges

It would seem that MI5 wanted Mr Finucane out of the way, the morality or justification of that will depend on how one views Mr Finucane.

pippakin

My heart just bleeds for Mrs Finucane. How I wonder does she feel about the kidnapping and murder of Jean McConville? Or lets not get carried away with just one death how about Mary Travers? Or all the other deaths PIRA were responsible for.

The Finucance family need to step back and take their place among the many victims. In terms of harm done that shower would find themselves at the rear.

Glaucon

My heart just bleeds for Mrs Finucane. How I wonder does she feel about the kidnapping and murder of Jean McConville? Or lets not get carried away with just one death how about Mary Travers? Or all the other deaths PIRA were responsible for.

The Finucance family need to step back and take their place among the many victims. In terms of harm done that shower would find themselves at the rear.
You are a thoroughly disgusting individual.

theloner

It wasn't enough to murder a solicitor, now scum like yourself attempt to draw a link between the dead man's wife and Jean McConville. What the f*ck has that got to do with Geraldine Finucane?

pippakin

You are a thoroughly disgusting individual.
Of course I am I put the Finucanes some way behind the McConvilles, Travers and all the other families whose lives were destroyed by the IRA and Loyalists.

pippakin

It wasn't enough to murder a solicitor, now scum like yourself attempt to draw a link between the dead man's wife and Jean McConville. What the f*ck has that got to do with Geraldine Finucane?
See my reply to your sock.