• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

British resident opposes extradition to the UK.

JacquesHughes

Simeon Langford opposes extradition to England on the grounds that he faces 'inhumane and degrading treatment' there if he is returned to face charges of attempted murder and grievous bodily harm, and breach of conditions of a previous GBH sentence. The accused appeared in the High Court hand-cuffed and corralled by five officers in riot gear, and then suffered the further indignity of being described as 'having a propensity to extreme violence'; but despite this level of degrading treatment , he still wished to remain in Ireland. Mr Langford was arrested by Gardai in August 2015. British police believe he travelled using a false passport.
'Violent' accused brought to court by five riot officers awaits extradition verdict - Independent.ie

Ms Justice Donnelly, presiding, expects to deliver a decision next Tuesday.

Comment: I could make that decision in about five minutes, and offer my services to this hard-pressed republic at a cut price rate..
Let us hope that during his 9 month stay in our jails [that's the real scandal in this case] , mr Langford did not take note of the opportunities for crime in this State.

mr_anderson

Man who doesn't want to be extradited makes up excuse why he shouldn't be.

Not really news.
Just a pathetic attempt to avoid the inevitable.

between the bridges

Pffft who does this guy think he is? As he's not a Provo how does he expect a safe haven...

enuffisenuff

let him stay here any pay USC..then he will know all about 'inhumane and degrading treatment'

A REASON

Surely we shouldn't be letting criminals from their own country enter this state? Put him on the first boat back to wherever he comes from.

im axeled

Surely we shouldn't be letting criminals from their own country enter this state? Put him on the first boat back to wherever he comes from.
alongside the african bloke who bit three warders recently

Simeon Langford opposes extradition to England on the grounds that he faces 'inhumane and degrading treatment' there if he is returned to face charges of attempted murder and grievous bodily harm, and breach of conditions of a previous GBH sentence. The accused appeared in the High Court hand-cuffed and corralled by five officers in riot gear, and then suffered the further indignity of being described as 'having a propensity to extreme violence'; but despite this level of degrading treatment , he still wished to remain in Ireland. Mr Langford was arrested by Gardai in August 2015. British police believe he travelled using a false passport.
'Violent' accused brought to court by five riot officers awaits extradition verdict - Independent.ie

Ms Justice Donnelly, presiding, expects to deliver a decision next Tuesday.

Comment: I could make that decision in about five minutes, and offer my services to this hard-pressed republic at a cut price rate..
Let us hope that during his 9 month stay in our jails [that's the real scandal in this case] , mr Langford did not take note of the opportunities for crime in this State.
The decision might be a no-brainer, but the judge will no doubt have been given extensive grounds against extradition by the defence and they all have to addressed by him.

Sister Mercedes

It could work out for him. The same judge refused to extradite a terrorist suspect because she wasn't happy about prison conditions in the US.

In refusing to order Mr Damache's surrender, Ms Justice Aileen Donnelly said there were “substantial grounds for believing that Mr Damache will be at real risk of being subjected to inhuman and degrading treatment if extradited to the USA.”
US extradition request for Irish citizen refused - RTÉ News

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/courts/algerian-born-irish-citizen-now-in-high-security-spanish-prison

But he wasn't so lucky when he went to Spain.

An Algerian born Irish citizen, who is wanted by US authorities on international terrorism charges, has been arrested in Spain.

Last edited:

Equinox

The decision might be a no-brainer, but the judge will no doubt have been given extensive grounds against extradition by the defence and they all have to addressed by him.
Which is why I demand a constitutional referendum to insert a 'You gotta be fuggin kiddin' me rite?' clause in the constitution.
A judge can envoke it in cases where the blindingly obvious is self evident, such as 9 months and hundreds of thousands being wasted by this messer to delay the inveitable.
By envoking the 'ugbfkmr' article this case should take all of 5 minutes to conclude and to be legally binding a 'ugbfkmr' judgement will only require the judge to raise his right eyebrow and say the phrase 'You gotta be fuggin kiddin' me rite?' to his defence lawyer.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
That would work also when a solicitor stands up and alleges that a well known crook and chancer has a good name to defend.

Sooner or later some justice system somewhere is going to respond to the 'good name' allegation with the credibility clause.

That would cause sheer panic in D4. And Malta.

Which is why I demand a constitutional referendum to insert a 'You gotta be fuggin kiddin' me rite?' clause in the constitution.
A judge can envoke it in cases where the blindingly obvious is self evident, such as 9 months and hundreds of thousands being wasted by this messer to delay the inveitable.
By envoking the 'ugbfkmr' article this case should take all of 5 minutes to conclude and to be legally binding a 'ugbfkmr' judgement will only require the judge to raise his right eyebrow and say the phrase 'You gotta be fuggin kiddin' me rite?' to his defence lawyer.
And an appeal immediately follows.

These proceedings are based on the immutable principle of innocence until proven guilty. We should always apply due process. I know that if I were innocent of charges which attracted a possible extradition I'd want every protection under law. That we don't say "fupp him, he's clearly as guilty as hell" says a lot of good about our society. The cost of being able to say that is immeasurable.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies