• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

British Vitriol Against the Irish: Documenting Thread

bang bang

Do you think Galway is a wealthier place than Manchester?
For some strange reason you can't seem to stomach the fact that Ireland has a higher standard of living than the UK. I wonder could it be because you're a bitter bigoted sectarian phuckwit. I'm gonna say yes.)

Plebian

Do you think Galway is a wealthier place than Manchester?
It's quite hard to get exact figures. Greater Manchester had a GDP per capita of €27,500 in 2012, Galway is the economic engine of the Western Region which had a GDP per capita of €28,000 in 2015, but out of that Wester Region GDP per capita in Galway would be substantially ahead of the rest of the Western Region which would put GDP in Galway well over the €30,000 mark. So per capita Galway is probably the wealthier region per head even though the size of Greater Manchester's population is in the millions Vs the 250,000 people of Galway County.

Newrybhoy

It's quite hard to get exact figures. Greater Manchester had a GDP per capita of €27,500 in 2012, Galway is the economic engine of the Western Region which had a GDP per capita of €28,000 in 2015, but out of that Wester Region GDP per capita in Galway would be substantially ahead of the rest of the Western Region which would put GDP in Galway well over the €30,000 mark. So per capita Galway is probably the wealthier region per head even though the size of Greater Manchester's population is in the millions Vs the 250,000 people of Galway County.
I'm sure there are areas of greater Manchester with a far greater GDP.

The stats prove nothing.

Roberto Jordan

For some strange reason you can't seem to stomach the fact that Ireland has a higher standard of living than the UK. I wonder could it be because you're a bitter bigoted sectarian phuckwit. I'm gonna say yes.)
For those in lower paid or lower skilled jobs I would have thought it was pretty easy to demonstrate a higher standard of living in , say, Galway, than Greater Manchester,. Similarly my intuition is that the same applies for average practitioners in the "professions" and white collar public servants.
The differential might be closer, or reversed, for those in between , the wage earning but successful university graduates say, at least thats my hunch. I dont have many colleagues who have worked in the north of england but have lots who have done their time in the city of london. Quiet obviously a far more expensive place to live. But , possibly because they are standing on the shoulders of the masses less fortunate, their lives are/ were pretty good and probably ahead of all but the most "old money" south dublin middle class folk in Ireland. This despite pay rates not being outlandish.

pontecar

Not sure theres that much to choose between Northern European countries wealthwise. GDP includes the tech companies which inflate Irelands figures massively. Net worth per household would be a better measure. Ireland median and mean net worths are less than half the UKs although property equity is 40% of this which could drop back post Brexit.

D

Deleted member 51920

Lancashire is on that map.

Manchester and indeed Liverpool are in Lancashire.
No they are not you clown
Greater Manchester and Merseyside became separate counties in 1974
For someone who aspires to be British, you know fnck all about the basics of British geography.
If they hadn't already given you citizenship, you probably wouldn't even pass the 'Life in the UK' test

For those in lower paid or lower skilled jobs I would have thought it was pretty easy to demonstrate a higher standard of living in , say, Galway, than Greater Manchester,. Similarly my intuition is that the same applies for average practitioners in the "professions" and white collar public servants.
The differential might be closer, or reversed, for those in between , the wage earning but successful university graduates say, at least thats my hunch. I dont have many colleagues who have worked in the north of england but have lots who have done their time in the city of london. Quiet obviously a far more expensive place to live. But , possibly because they are standing on the shoulders of the masses less fortunate, their lives are/ were pretty good and probably ahead of all but the most "old money" south dublin middle class folk in Ireland. This despite pay rates not being outlandish.
Not sure it is cheaper in Galway than Manchester.

Cheapest property to buy in Galway city is €160k plus where as cheapest in Manchester is £80k...... Rent wise it appears Galway is €1000 plus at a minimum where as £500 a month will get you a house in Manchester.

Ireland minimum wage assumming a 40 hr week gets you to €20k a year, after tax it is €18,300 so a single person renting in Galway has €6k a year to cover all bills.

UK Minimum wage assumming a 40 hr week gets you to £16,500, after tax it is £14,600 so a single person renting in Manchester has £8,600 a year to cover all bills. Ok Council tax would be circa £750 but you also have the benefit of Metro.

2-3 people sharing a house would of course make substantial differences BUT Manchester would still be cheaper.

Newrybhoy

Lancashire Cricket Club lol stop digging you fool
Manchester has not been part of Lancashire since 1974 - an era you still seem to be living in
The survey you refer to is also based on the reality of where Lancashire is
Wake up
If you took Galway city out of Connaught or Galway for statistical purposes what effect would that have on the wealth of whats left?

As has been said, GDP includes all the money being laundered by MNCs through the Republic which massively distorts the figures.

You would think that people in the ROI were massively better off than their Northern neighbours, which anyone who knows both areas is patently untrue.

NI is awash with new cars and houses and everything costs less thus people have a higher disposable income after the bills are paid even if earning less.

Paddyc

"Racism"?

Grow up for Christ"s sake, you sound pathetic.
To suggest that a doctor who leads his country should open a curry house in Birmingham because his father, also a doctor is Indian is racist and if you can’t see that then maybe you shouldn’t spend as much time in the company of other racists and scum.

D

Deleted member 51920

If you took Galway city out of Connaught or Galway for statistical purposes what effect would that have on the wealth of whats left?

As has been said, GDP includes all the money being laundered by MNCs through the Republic which massively distorts the figures.

You would think that people in the ROI were massively better off than their Northern neighbours, which anyone who knows both areas is patently untrue.

NI is awash with new cars and houses and everything costs less thus people have a higher disposable income after the bills are paid even if earning less.

Manchester was taken out of Lancashire in 1974 by the British Government - it had nothing to do with fiddling statistics so get over it
Its a bit rich for a PUL like youself to be complaining about creating artificial borders to fiddle statistics and elections when your own secarian mini-state was invented for that very reason.
And we all know to our cost what that led to ..

Newrybhoy

Manchester was taken out of Lancashire in 1974 by the British Government - it had nothing to do with fiddling statistics so get over it
Its a bit rich for a PUL like youself to be complaining about creating artificial borders to fiddle statistics and elections when your own secarian mini-state was invented for that very reason.
And we all know to our cost what that led to ..
I don't remember any Church totally controlling NI.

The people here of all faiths and none were glad of that.

D

Deleted member 51920

I don't remember any Church totally controlling NI.

The people here of all faiths and none were glad of that.

James Craig, one of the earliest six county PM's, described the regime there as a 'Protestant Parliament for a Protestant people' and clearly had no intention of offering the hand of friendship to the Catholic population. Years of anti catholic bigotry, gerrymandering, sectarian violence and discrimination ultimately led to the rebellion in the late 1960's - as we all know to our cost.
In the negotiations for the GFA and subsequently, the province had a First Minister, Rev Ian Paisley, who was an active Protestant preacher leading his Protestant flock through the unpleasant task of compromising with their Catholic neighbours and allowing them a form of equality.
And the Catholic people were glad of that?
Pull the other one

Mickeymac

LBS (lying bastard syndrome) appears to have came in to play yet again on here...……..here are the actual facts,,,,,,read on.

NI population has lowest disposable income in UK - BBC News

Mickeymac

James Craig, one of the earliest six county PM's, described the regime there as a 'Protestant Parliament for a Protestant people' and clearly had no intention of offering the hand of friendship to the Catholic population. Years of anti catholic bigotry, gerrymandering, sectarian violence and discrimination ultimately led to the rebellion in the late 1960's - as we all know to our cost.
In the negotiations for the GFA and subsequently, the province had a First Minister, Rev Ian Paisley, who was an active Protestant preacher leading his Protestant flock through the unpleasant task of compromising with their Catholic neighbours and allowing them a form of equality.
And the Catholic people were glad of that?
Pull the other one

Read Newrybhoys posts to see what you are dealing with sir.:lol:

recedite

James Craig, one of the earliest six county PM's, described the regime there as a 'Protestant Parliament for a Protestant people' ..
In other old news, ROI saw itself as a catholic country for a catholic people.
It wasnt until 1972 that this wording was removed from the constitution;
Article 41.1 2º said:
The State recognises the special position of the Holy Catholic Apostolic and Roman Church as the guardian of the Faith professed by the great majority of the citizens.

In case you hadn't noticed, we have all moved on since those days.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies