• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Brits In (they Haven't Gone Away You Know) Plantation Part Deux

between the bridges

Northern Ireland’s Army bases have escaped the latest round of closures.

However there will be a change of regiment at Palace Barracks in Holywood, Co Down as the 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment move to Chester next year. They will be replaced by the 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, who are currently based in Edinburgh.

The Army’s headquarters in Northern Ireland will remain at Thiepval Barracks in Lisburn. While bases at Ballykinler and Aldergrove will also continue.

Brigadier Rob Thomson, Commander 38 Irish Brigade, added: “The basing plans confirms the future in Northern Ireland for Ballykinler, Palace, Lisburn and Aldergrove and we are looking forward to welcoming the 1st Battalion The Royal Scots and their families to what will be their new home in North Down.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/headlines/ulster-s-army-bases-to-survive-1-4852577

Good to see this part of the UK maintaining it's historic links with the crown forces. Coming from a garrison town with links to two famous regiments The Inniskillings Museum and the Regimental Association of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and having relatives that served in them over a few generations (Somme,Normandy,Korea and Afghanistan) I am obviously more favorably inclined towards the BA than some of our posters!
Of course setting aside any political affiliations I am sure all will welcome the securing of ancillary jobs and the maintaining of finical inputs (wages etc etc) to the local economy. Finally it's reassuring to see the Scots 'invading' Down again...

IrishWelshCelt

Good job with the title and getting all the key words in ;)

Ó Ghabhainn

between the bridges

It sounds like while 120 soldiers will lose their jobs, the number of BA soldiers based here will be cut to 2000.

I don't know current numbers though.
My calculator says 2120...

Ó Ghabhainn

My calculator says 2120...
Well done to your calculator, you don't need a new one.

I can count. What I'm getting at at is, is this reduction all job cuts are does it consist of relocations also?

theloner

That title is a cracker!

Global Justice

Excellent news sir, won't take a lot of transportation for the rest of them when they leave soon.
The slowly but surely decolonisation process and all round patronising and condescending attitude is Westminster's subtle way of saying "Fuk off" :lol:

InsideImDancing

Ulster

Good to see this part of the UK maintaining it's historic links with the crown forces. Coming from a garrison town with links to two famous regiments The Inniskillings Museum and the Regimental Association of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and having relatives that served in them over a few generations (Somme,Normandy,Korea and Afghanistan) I am obviously more favorably inclined towards the BA than some of our posters!
Of course setting aside any political affiliations I am sure all will welcome the securing of ancillary jobs and the maintaining of finical inputs (wages etc etc) to the local economy. Finally it's reassuring to see the Scots 'invading' Down again...

InsideImDancing

Glaucon

Always disappointing to see more British troops arriving in Ireland, under the peace process the aim should be to reduce their presence to the bare minimum. Sinn Féin will have some work to do to explain this one away to their electorate.

between the bridges

Always disappointing to see more British troops arriving in Ireland, under the peace process the aim should be to reduce their presence to the bare minimum. Sinn Féin will have some work to do to explain this one away to their electorate.

DT123

Northern Ireland is still part of the UK,we still supply thousands of soldiers to the British Army ,why on earth would there not be troops stationed here?They are in barracks,the same as if they were in Aldershot ,Catterick,Glasgow or Cardiff,it's not as if anyone ever sees them.

Last edited:

InsideImDancing