• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Broadcast Charge

lies

Twitter
yes
WTF?! TV License to become a blanket non-TV based tax?!

https://twitter.com/Oireachtas_RX/status/306404854543314947

Pat Rabbitte's new TV licence will apply to everyone, "even if they do not have any device" #Dáil
Is this legal?

How long until car tax is universal and not based on a car?

Or water fees are not based on using water?

Or politicians are elected, not based on the votes they receive?

I am NOT one to complain about taxes (read my posts to confirm), but this seems... above and beyond what is reasonable.

Crazy horse 6

Is this legal?

I am NOT one to complain about taxes (read my posts to confirm), but this seems... above and beyond what is reasonable.
They don't care. They are intent on being the good europeans. Lol. When people wake up it will be way to late.

ManUnited

Is this legal?

He is trying to catch up with reality, people are watching RTE online. 'Pushing sht uphill' comes to mind on this one.

wombat

Now everyone who uses a mobile phone will be able to contribute to Dunphy, Kenny, Joe, Marian and all the other underpaid RTE stars:lol:

Crazy horse 6

I'm NOT certain that a TV license for people without a TV is a European thing... that might reflect on you more than Rabbite.
I'm talking about the big picture but of course you already know this. Jog on.

Ulster-Lad

We should just give our pay packets directly to the government. That will please them.

I'm NOT certain that a TV license for people without a TV is a European thing... that might reflect on you more than Rabbite.
It cerainly is in France. e pay fo TV through our "impots locaux" - our local taxes. You pay whether or not you have a TV.

Ribeye

Don't worry Comrades,

Each home shall be issued with its very own Telescreen soon enough,

Crazy horse 6

Sure, sure, but it undercuts your point by drawing such imperfect analogies.
They want to be the poster boys for austerity in europe, that is their number 1 interest not the welfare of the people of Ireland. This is another stealth tax designed to crush the average Joe/Jane.

CarnivalOfAction

The big boys in labour must really hate the labour party!
Yep, it's effectively yet another regressive flat tax, which will hit the poorest hardest. that's Labour on the 100th anniversary of the Lockout.

Fractional Reserve

Thy couldn't give a flying f if its legal or not .They are the government and they can do what they like when they are in power.You are chattel so get used of it .They will taxed anything that moves , doesn't move , dead ,alive , nothing is safe from the grubby hands of monster government , it will eat this country alive to keep the government and its quangos alive .

Is this legal?

B

Boggle

A universal car tax would make far more sense than a universal propaganda tax as we all depend on roads whether we are car owners or not.

However, the idea of facing a universal tv/radio tax makes no sense as none of us NEED the tv/radio and it's not like it serves much of a purpose in educating viewers or holding politicians to account. Frankly, we don't need to be forced to help Pat Kenny and co stay wealthy.

Maybe if the presenters weren't paid so much and suffered the consequences of bad policies they might make more of an effort when doing their job.

corporal punishment

Don't worry Comrades,

Each home shall be issued with its very own Telescreen soon enough,
But do you think big brother loves us?, I suspect not.

Popular Threads

Most Replies