'Broadcasters need to be more patriotic'

JacquesHughes

So says Andrea Leadsom MP on the UK 'Armed Forces Day' (today if you're wondering).
(Let's hope RTE wannabees are taking note.)
Brexit: Tory MP Leadsom says broadcasters should be patriotic - BBC News

I think she means the Brexit negotiations should be reported in the breathless, one-sided style of the 1966 world cup coverage.

Of course, she's completely outflanked and blindsided, by Ruth Davison of the Scottish Conservatives ( who in the recent election rode to the rescue of strong and stable Tory government) and has just been made Honorary Colonel of her old regiment. Ruth Davidson made honorary Army Colonel - BBC News

Nitrogen

Nobody should be more patriotic

The less patriotism the better

silverharp

Nobody should be more patriotic

The less patriotism the better
you can have too much, not sure that too little is a good thing. If you had no patriotism you wouldnt care what happened to your country you would simply move on if you didnt like something about it enough.

Boy M5

The Tories and Brexiteers show their true antidemocratic face.

Niall996

you can have too much, not sure that too little is a good thing. If you had no patriotism you wouldnt care what happened to your country you would simply move on if you didnt like something about it enough.
I'm not convinced that Ireland as a nation demonstrates much Patriotism at all. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is TBC. But I think the state itself veers more towards the 'not enough' end of the spectrum.

cricket

What's the difference between patriotism and nationalism ?
Just putting it out there.

Plebian

Hahaha.... Decades of patriotic Broadcasting about WW I and WW II plus the Proms, Queenie and Co's every cough and bowel movement etc has landed the UK in the mess that it's in now.

Ffs, North Korea would find it hard to compete with the UK on patriotic broadcasting.

T

Toowoomba

What's the difference between patriotism and nationalism ?
Just putting it out there.

Patriots - Sinn Fein :D

Nationalists - Fianna Fail :confused:

Realists - Fine Gael petunia

Leninists - Leftish all sorts :roll:

HenryHorace

The UK and Irish broadcasters are patriotic towards the establishment not the country.

Niall996

Hahaha.... Decades of patriotic Broadcasting about WW I and WW II plus the Proms, Queenie and Co's every cough and bowel movement etc has landed the UK in the mess that it's in now.

Ffs, North Korea would find it hard to compete with the UK on patriotic broadcasting.
Have you seen French TV?

Niall996

Very low threshold for your definition of Patriot!

RasherHash

sic transit

The Proms are great, a wonderful musical treat, unless you're talking about the last night, which nobody takes seriously anyway!

brughahaha

Surely you mean Real Estatists -Fine Gael

New Threads

Most Replies