• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Broadcasting Authority censures Vincent Browne's "cancer" comments on Israel.

Shqiptar

Readers will probably recall an incident October last year (Source 1) on the Tonight with Vincent Browne Show on TV3 when the presenter referred to the State of Israel as "the cancer in foreign affairs" and accused the country of "polarising the Islamic community of the world against the rest of the world". People can review what he said in source 2.

Numerous complaints were subsquently sent to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) and the BAI has decided that:
1. Vincent Browne didn't meet the standard that "news and current affairs, including matters of public controversy or debate be handled in a fair, objective and impartial manner".

2. The BAI also feels that the references to the State of Israel by Vincent Browne "were included without any apparent context or relevance to the discussion of the then forthcoming Presidential election in the United States of America" which was, after all, "the focus of the programme".

3. Furthermore, the BAI also feels that "the remarks constituted an editorial statement by the presenter that was not balanced by contributions from the programme guests".

4. Hence, the BAI concludes that the item "was [...] deemed to have failed to meet the requirement for fair, objective and impartial treatment of news and current affairs."

Readers can check source 3 for the judgments on the various complaints.

Sources:
1. http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/198940-vincent-browne-israel-like-cancer.html
2. Tonight with Vincent Browne calls Israel "Cancer" - YouTube
3. http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/20130228_CCDecisions_February2013_vFinal.pdf

Mods,

I've started a new thread on this based on the manner in which ye are dealing with the Savita Halapannavar story, whereby the issue is not being dealt with under one thread.

Also, not even the news websites are reporting this yet.

Sync

.......First reaction?

1. Vincent Browne didn't meet the standard that "news and current affairs, including matters of public controversy or debate be handled in a fair, objective and impartial manner".

2. The BAI also feels that the references to the State of Israel by Vincent Browne "were included without any apparent context or relevance to the discussion of the then forthcoming Presidential election in the United States of America" which was, after all, "the focus of the programme".

3. Furthermore, the BAI also feels that "the remarks constituted an editorial statement by the presenter that was not balanced by contributions from the programme guests".

4. Hence, the BAI concludes that the item "was [...] deemed to have failed to meet the requirement for fair, objective and impartial treatment of news and current affairs.
I can't think of a single show he's hosted where one of the above hasn't been evidenced. You could literally have made this complaint about every episode.

gijoe

If you were one of the complainants they will have sent the decision to you before releasing it to the media.

Clanrickard

Very happy with this. The abuse and bigotry Israel gets in this country is a disgrace. Past time something was done about it.

ruserious

Tonight with Vincent Browne.

The clue is in the name. You mightn't like what he says, but it is his show.

He doesn't claim to be the equivilant of Prime Time.

EoinMag

.......First reaction?

I can't think of a single show he's hosted where one of the above hasn't been evidenced. You could literally have made this complaint about every episode.

Ah but Israel is special.

The fact that he was telling the truth is irrelevant to the paid shills such as the thread starter.

Shqiptar

If you were one of the complainants they will have sent the decision to you before releasing it to the media.
I didn't complain to the BAI. I complained to TV3 as did loads of people I know. A couple of days later, they were pretending not to be aware of any complaints. :roll:

borntorum

The broadcast media are meant to be balanced in this country. Browne never is; as Sync says, the same complaint could be made about any of his programs.

Clanrickard

Ah but Israel is special.

The fact that he was telling the truth is irrelevant to the paid shills such as the thread starter.
It was not "fair, objective or impartial". Do try and keep up.

EoinMag

I didn't complain to the BAI. I complained to TV3 as did loads of people I know. A couple of days later, they were complaining not to be aware of any complaints. :roll:

I suspect they meant real complaints, it's possible they can tell when they're inundated with professional complainers.

Sync

The specific issue is irrelevant. Look he's clearly not a fair presenter, he clearly and unapologetically makes factual errors in what he says all the time. And I guess in this case the BAI have no option given such a clear breach.

But, coming off what RU was saying, shouldn't he be allowed to just have a show where his opinion is the one being given? If people are willing to watch why shouldn't he be allowed to spout rubbish? As long as the show was rebranded (It couldn't call itself a news show for instance, or purport to be some sort of fair debate show) I just don't see the issue.

D

Dylan2010

its a bit pompus ! we are not talking about school books for kids, A personality driven tv show offends some people, shock horror. He talks awful sh1te about inequality but I cant imagine he has moved the position of anyone that listens to him. Can we close this pointless quango down please, their staff would be more productive working the tills in Tesco.

ruserious

The broadcast media are meant to be balanced in this country. Browne never is; as Sync says, the same complaint could be made about any of his programs.
So we can't have broadcasters having their own show really? Just mouth pieces for PC balance?
I expect balance on the news and current affairs, I have no problem with individuals having their own show giving their slant, as because we are adults, we are expected to see the bias and form our own opinions.

Astral Peaks

No, but he wants some of the licence fee to go to TV3?

james toney

4. Hence, the BAI concludes that the item "was [...] deemed to have failed to meet the requirement for fair, objective and impartial treatment of news and current affairs."

Isin't this happening every day in the Irish media? Much of it Government spin.

Shqiptar

The specific issue is irrelevant. Look he's clearly not a fair presenter, he clearly and unapologetically makes factual errors in what he says all the time. And I guess in this case the BAI have no option given such a clear breach.

But, coming off what RU was saying, shouldn't he be allowed to just have a show where his opinion is the one being given? If people are willing to watch why shouldn't he be allowed to spout rubbish? As long as the show was rebranded (It couldn't call itself a news show for instance, or purport to be some sort of fair debate show) I just don't see the issue.
We don't want to see the Irish media go the way of the US media which is infested with ranters and shock jocks. These people can poison hearts and minds in the long run. I'm not saying V Browne is as bad as them but he could go that way.