• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Brother of FF TD trashes Government

BarryW

Cllr. Michael Moloney - brother of Laois/Offaly FF TD John Moloney - speaking on Matt Cooper earlier, went on to trash Government policy in all areas - particularly in the area of Transport, Infrastructure and sheer waste of money.

He claimed that the Government had reneged on various promises, and was running the country "more like a business than a community".

He also said that FF was in serious trouble electorally and organisationally. As evidence, he cited the abysmal performance of FF in the bye-elections.
He also claimed that no young people were joining FF - and as evidence of this he pointed to the re-emergence of the youthful and energetic Mary O' Rourke (70 at the next election) - whose constituency office was opened by Bertie himself last week.

I was struck by the vehemence of his criticisms of both FF and the Government.
Is this feeling now common within FF ?

Catalpa

There is no doubt IMM that the Government is running the State
more like a business than a community!

Irish people are forgotten about in a blind rush to increase the profits of already wealthy Irish Capitalists.

The pursuit of profit regardless of Social, Political or Ethnic consequences can only lead to Trouble. :?

DarthSidious

Seems to me it's a fine example of Fianna Fáil being able to steal the opposition's clothes and successfully ride two horses.
Fact of the matter is whether its Fianna Fáil speaking out of two sides of their mouth or simply Cllrs unhappy with government policy - I doubt Bertie will loose too much sleep over a Co Cllr expressing popular sentiment, indeed its being said some FF Cllrs provide better opposition to the government than the present Dáil opposition.

drjimryan

Yes I think so..the word I suppose is sadness, 2005 the economy is good, people are better off than ever before but unfortunately there seems to be a lot of disquiet.

Fianna Fail, is in serious trouble after Bertie goes , I believe and this is reflected in the councillors comments.

It is really saddening to see Bertie and co ruin our great party. The cumann structure is in ruins ( no matter what tripe tk whiskers might reply with).

The cumann are not attracting any new members because the td's want to maintain the status quo..so td's in their 50's are controlling the votes, discouraging new blood(remember mary lou) and effectively gerrymandering the votes.

Indeed I would go so far as to say that the party might never regain its ground again, because of berties shortsighted attitude, vision would be a wrong word to say.

geraghd

I have talked to a couple of local OFFs and what seems to be endemic in the party is a completely complacent attitude to things on the ground and nationally, not helped of course by the lack of new blood into the local cumann. And it would seem that Bertie and Co have managed to stifle any sort of debate within the party like a modern day Der Fuhrer (without the obvious Nazi connotations..).

DarthSidious

Many Fianna Fáil members - Cllrs included will be shedding few tears if Fianna Fáil fail to get back into government in 2007. The party structure, as you said drjimryan is a shambles in many areas and FF is a paper tiger that is no longer strong or any way effective as the national movement it once was. Many constituencies are under review at the moment - this need to be extended to all constituencies. And the party really needs some time out of government to take stock - now when party members say that you know something is radically wrong.
One of the worst possible scenarios would be for Fianna Fáil to get back into government after a walloping in the election and remain stale and fatigued...Bertie would stay on and again stifle any talent that might present itself. This would herald the terminal decline of Fianna Fáil.
We need to do what Fine Gael have done in the past year and "electrify" the Fianna Fáil grassroots and shake up the party structure (and let the political corpses lie where they may)

DarthSidious

what seems to be endemic in the party is a completely complacent attitude to things on the ground and nationally
There is a feeling of disconnectedness among many in the party. And the worst thing is, many simply have given up the battle and don't care about winning the next election

And it would seem that Bertie and Co have managed to stifle any sort of debate within the party
To give Bertie some credit, he reunited the parliamentary party when few others had the skills to do it after the divisive leaderships of Haughey and Reynolds

SPN

He also claimed that no young people were joining FF
Once upon a time, if you weren't too worried about morals and had no scruples, and you wanted to make big money, the best route was through FFailure - viz: Liam Lawlor, CJH, Ray Burke, Albert Reynolds, etc.

Today there are many more ways for such people to line their pockets, so FFailure has lost much of it's original purpose.

Many Fianna Fáil members - Cllrs included will be shedding few tears if Fianna Fáil fail to get back into government in 2007.
I, for one, will be giving serious consideration to voting FF in the next GE as we will be heading into a recession and it is imperative, if this country is ever going to get it's act together, that FF be the ones who have to ride it out.

If they are allowed sit on the ditch during the bad times (again), while blaming some other Government (again) for the FF chickens coming home to roost, we will never be able to get their thieving hands away from our taxes.

For decades they've been robbing us blind, roll-on payback time!

Gael

BarryW said:
Cllr. Michael Moloney - brother of Laois/Offaly FF TD John Moloney - speaking on Matt Cooper earlier, went on to trash Government policy in all areas - particularly in the area of Transport, Infrastructure and sheer waste of money.

He claimed that the Government had reneged on various promises, and was running the country "more like a business than a community".

He also said that FF was in serious trouble electorally and organisationally. As evidence, he cited the abysmal performance of FF in the bye-elections.
He also claimed that no young people were joining FF - and as evidence of this he pointed to the re-emergence of the youthful and energetic Mary O' Rourke (70 at the next election) - whose constituency office was opened by Bertie himself last week.

I was struck by the vehemence of his criticisms of both FF and the Government.
Is this feeling now common within FF ?
Not that new. Cllr. JJ Power who stood for the Greens in the recent Kildare by-election is brother of a FF TD. Something tells me doesn't like the government much.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
FF really are in danger of the kind of crash that happened to the Tories post-Thatcher. Years in power where preservation is more important than progress and an aging group of parliementarians jealously guarding their patch. An ever present air of nagging but not always explosive corruption. And perhaps crucially the fact that Bertie united elements in a party that perhaps were only united in order to access power not because of a cohesive political ideology.

Post-Bertie there could be a major power struggle, especially if it follows a return to 1992-seat levels. Internecine warfare in the parliementary party and a withered local cumann system (seen in microcosm in the Kildare North by-election) could see FF slip from inevitably in power to tail-spin - and watch SF feast on the carcass.

SPN

FF really are in danger of the kind of crash that happened to the Tories post-Thatcher.
Bring It On!

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
DarthSidious said:
The party structure, as you said drjimryan is a shambles in many areas and FF is a paper tiger that is no longer strong or any way effective as the national movement it once was. Many constituencies are under review at the moment - this need to be extended to all constituencies.
I’d be the first to admit party membership is lighter on the ground in some areas than it once was, I put this down to a number of factors, changing lifestyles & priorities etc, but mainly it’s a natural result of being in Government.

Most supporters are happy to leave the more committed members keep the local cumann ticking over while we’re in Government. It’s not something I think we need to be overly concerned about; with 15,000 active members and 100,000 active supporters we’re still the largest party in the state. Some “shambles”.

DarthSidious claim “many” constituency’s are under review is a gross exaggeration, the truth is two or three are conducting reviews of their structures to ensure they are on the best possible footing to face the challenges of the next election.

As for Cllr. Moloney’s comments, Fianna Fáil is a democratic organisation he’s entitled to make an ass of himself should he so wish.

hiding behind a poster

TKwhiskers said:
[
I’d be the first to admit party membership is lighter on the ground in some areas than it once was, I put this down to a number of factors, changing lifestyles & priorities etc, ]

How does this explain the rise in FG membership from 20,000 to 34,000 in three years?

hiding behind a poster

aodh_rua said:
FF really are in danger of the kind of crash that happened to the Tories post-Thatcher. Years in power where preservation is more important than progress and an aging group of parliementarians jealously guarding their patch. An ever present air of nagging but not always explosive corruption.

I think you're spot-on there. The worst thing that ever happened to the Tories was their winning of the 1992 general election - it made their collapse in 1997 all the more inevitable. I think the Irish electorate are heading towards a sort of "tipping point" with FF, and if they go beyond that point, almost nothing FF say or do will impress them. And if FF somehow manage to hold onto power post-2007, it'll make their eventual collapse in 2012 all the more dramatic. Best thing for them could be a spell in opposition.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
hiding behind a poster said:
TKwhiskers said:
[
I’d be the first to admit party membership is lighter on the ground in some areas than it once was, I put this down to a number of factors, changing lifestyles & priorities etc, ]

How does this explain the rise in FG membership from 20,000 to 34,000 in three years?
....and if you had finished reading the post you would have read "but mainly it’s a natural result of being in Government."

FG's increase in paper membership can be put down to two factors,

1. They are in opposition, opposition parties attract malcontents
2. Potential candidates are flooding branches with friends and family in advance of selection conventions.

hiding behind a poster

[quote="TKwhiskers

FG's increase in paper membership can be put down to two factors,

2. Potential candidates are flooding branches with friends and family in advance of selection conventions.
[/quote]

Are you seriously, seriously saying that doesn't happen in Fianna Fail too?

Anyway, lots of those members will work for their friend/family member's election campaign, thus being of value to the party. Of course, it could be that in FF, there aren't many (or any) potential new candidates, what with the existing, ageing parliamentary party members jealously guarding their own turf.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Are you seriously, seriously saying that doesn't happen in Fianna Fail too?
Not to the same extent, each Cumann can only have 3 delegates to convention, this ensures each parish / polling district is equally represented and reduces abuses by candidates or elected representatives.

Anyway, lots of those members will work for their friend/family member's election campaign, thus being of value to the party.
I accept that, but you were asking why I thought FG branches were being flooded by potential candidates with family and friends.

Of course the family and friends of candidates who don’t make it through convention will be out canvassing for successful ones! Right?

BarryW

TKwhiskers said:
1. They are in opposition, opposition parties attract malcontents
What an odd thing to say...... :?
*realises its TK* *smacks forehead*

FG have recruited something in the region of 13,000 members in thew last 2 years. If this is any indication of the number of "malcontents" about the place, then you people should be very worried.

Also: You keep telling us that FF are doing brilliantly; haven't put a foot worng; Government set to be re-elected; Ahern is a fabulous, visionary leader etc etc.

If this is the case, why have FF not attracted new members on a large scale??
Instead, Cowen himself has reported that most of the FF membership is dying, dead or worse.

Riddle me that

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies