Bryan Dobson can't pronounce unfamiliar words.

O

Oscurito

The more politically aware amongst us will know that former Portuguese prime minister, Antonio Guterres is going to be the next United Nations Secretary General. And it was reported on in the RTÉ1 six o'clock news. Bryan Dobson was the lead news presenter, as magisterial and authoritative as ever. Except for one little slip-up.

I'm not a linguistic purist or perfectionist. In some languages, the phonetics are pretty counter-intuitive. In Finnish, 'Y' is pronounced like 'U'. In Turkish, "C" is pronounced like "J" in English. In Icelandic, the double-L ("LL") has to be heard to be spoken; ditto "UI" and "UY" in Dutch/Flemish.

But "Guterres" is easy. Gu. Terr. Es. Okay, strictly speaking, in the original Portuguese, there's a slight emphasis on the middle syllable and the 's' of 'Es' is slightly softened to something that sounds a bit like 'Esh".

But Dobson didn't say that. He said "Gweress". He missed the little matter of the "T" right in the middle of the word. I've seen him fluff over unfamiliar words before. Surely a newsreader should do a little practice in advance before dealing on air with words that are foreign and/or unusual?

O

Oscurito

George Hamilton - now there is one RTÉ guy who knows his foreign names.

Cellachán Chaisil

Remember when Bertie pronounced Guantanamo, Guantamama?

O

Oscurito

Nobody is perfect.
Indeed - which is why I'm not a professional football player or musician. But surely, one's skills should match the required skillset for the job. A newsreader should expect to have to deal with the names of foreign leaders and placenames and I wonder at the selection process that missed this shortcoming.

former wesleyan

There's no pronunciation dept in RTE so they have to struggle.

The Field Marshal

Bryan Dobson was the lead news presenter,

But "Guterres" is easy. Gu. Terr. Es. Okay, strictly speaking, in the original Portuguese, there's a slight emphasis on the middle syllable and the 's' of 'Es' is slightly softened to something that sounds a bit like 'Esh".

But Dobson didn't say that. He said "Gweress". He missed the little matter of the "T" right in the middle of the word. I've seen him fluff over unfamiliar words before. Surely a newsreader should do a little practice in advance before dealing on air with words that are foreign and/or unusual?
Dobson?

That is not an Irish name.

The Field Marshal

It's an Anglicization of Mac Doibe.

They came with the Tuatha De Danann.

Hashtag Blowins.
I beg to differ.

Dobson

Last name: Dobson. This most interesting surname, of medieval English origin, is a patronymic, of the medieval personal name "Dobbe", which is itself a pet form of Robert, from "Hrodebert", a Germanic personal name composed of the elements "hrod", renown and "berht", bright, famous.

The "berht" part meaning bright/famous was obviously left out and replaced with "son" for reasons all too obvious now.

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Dobson

O

Oscurito

I beg to differ.

Dobson

Last name: Dobson. This most interesting surname, of medieval English origin, is a patronymic, of the medieval personal name "Dobbe", which is itself a pet form of Robert, from "Hrodebert", a Germanic personal name composed of the elements "hrod", renown and "berht", bright, famous.

The "berht" part meaning bright/famous was obviously left out and replaced with "son" for reasons all too obvious now.

Surname Database: Dobson Last Name Origin
Ouch! You're such a b__ch, FM.

GDPR

Dr. Samuel Johnson: [places two manuscripts on the table, but picks up the top one] Here it is, sir. The very cornerstone of English scholarship. This book, sir, contains every word in our beloved language.
Blackadder: Every single one, sir?
Dr. Samuel Johnson: Every single word, sir!
Blackadder: Oh, well, in that case, sir, I hope you will not object if I also offer the Doctor my most enthusiastic contrafribularities.
Dr. Samuel Johnson: What?
Blackadder: "Contrafribularites", sir? It is a common word down our way.
Dr. Samuel Johnson: Damn!
[writes in the book]
Blackadder: Oh, I'm sorry, sir. I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

"Black Adder the Third" Ink and Incapability (TV Episode 1987) - Quotes - IMDb

The Field Marshal

A pronunciation dept. to tell him how to pronounce Guterres? Go and get floccinaucinihilipilificated................:rolleyes:
Well we had a young female professor from TCD no less, a while back referring to the international "Rooters" news agency.

When that happens you know anything is possible.

Ceartgoleor

I beg to differ.

Dobson

Surname Database: Dobson Last Name Origin
Dobbo might be described as famous in Ireland but hardly bright. The name fits. As for his German / Saxon / Sasanach name, it's appropriate given that RTE is a such a nest of Saxanachs! :lol:

The Field Marshal

Dobbo might be described as famous in Ireland but hardly bright. The name fits. As for his German / Saxon / Sasanach name, it's appropriate given that RTE is a such a nest of Saxanachs! :lol:
It is against official state policy to have bright news readers on RTE.

They might actually ask an awkward or a relevant question.

Trampas

Dobson can certainly pronounce Mary Lou McDonald. Mind you he has had no end of practice.

The Field Marshal

Dobson can certainly pronounce Mary Lou McDonald. Mind you he has had no end of practice.
Yes the giant left wing lobby in RTE have always promoted what they see as fellow travellors.