Budget to be brought forward to November?

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Irish Times Economics Editor Dan O'Brien has said on Newstalk moments ago that based on discussions he's had with sources, the likelihood of the budget being brought forward to mid-November is looking strong.

He seemed highly reluctant to go into any further detail - but it's sure to add speculation as to the Government's plans, coupled with the 4-year budget plan due in mid-November.

TradCat

It makes sense. The chilling effect of all the speculation on spending much be considerable. Of course the reality may be even more chilling.

So an early Christmas present to the country from the ever caring Fianna Fail, Its so nice to give at Christmas and Fianna Fail will give us all a good shafting.

An early budget will destroy the Christmas sales and plunge us nearer to the IMF when the tax receipts drop to another all time low.

DeputyEdo

Just means we get to find out sooner how far over FF are expecting us to bend.

hammer

Budget next year should be in September / October. Allow people to prepare for budget 2012 instead of the usual 3 week window. People need to have confidence and know how there disposable income is to be effected.

Also they should bring the self employed tax payment dates back to June 30th.

We need more certainty as to total tax take earlier in the year instead of waiting until November exchequer returns in early December.

Hewson

At last, a sensible decision, if it's true. This waiting around for December's budget is like sitting in an airplane with one engine on fire. Personally, I want to know what we have to deal with. Not knowing is what's getting people down. It's killing any impetus to plan and spend.

Bring it on, FF!

Then we'll say our goodbyes as you leave the building.

PUFF DADDY

at last, a sensible decision, if it's true. This waiting around for december's budget is like sitting in an airplane with one engine on fire. Personally, i want to know what we have to deal with. not knowing is what's getting people down. It's killing any impetus to plan and spend.

Bring it on, ff!

+100%

Macy

An early budget will destroy the Christmas sales and plunge us nearer to the IMF when the tax receipts drop to another all time low.
People have stopped spending anyway in fear of the budget - the uncertainty is probably doing more harm.

O'Brien did and the caveat that the last time Lenihan brought forward a budget it was disaster and had to be revisited so it's more important that it's right rather than early and illprepared.

nonpartyboy

Makes sense coming up to christmas, so people know where they stand and don't get into mad debt for christmas, so it probably won't happen.I've already informed the family only the kids in the family will be getting presents this year from us, so don't buy us anything.

Bismarck

Whether the govt falls after the budget is frankly immaterial the budget will pass - the govt will not fall during the budget or its the IMF and they are not going to row back on the cuts.
The sooner people have certainty about the future the better.

Makes sense coming up to christmas, so people know where they stand and don't get into mad debt for christmas, so it probably won't happen.I've already informed the family only the kids in the family will be getting presents this year from us, so don't buy us anything.

Good Sound advice.

Ulster-Lad

One can only pray that the opposition has a sound budget at the ready to present when this government falls.

Cato

With bonds exploding over 7% I would say that the government might be tempted to bring in an early budget in order to try and ease fears in the market (whatever about fear and terror in the population!).

With bonds exploding over 7% I would say that the government might be tempted to bring in an early budget in order to try and ease fears in the market (whatever about fear and terror in the population!).

How ironic! Its the budget that is scaring the markets.

gijoe

So an early Christmas present to the country from the ever caring Fianna Fail, Its so nice to give at Christmas and Fianna Fail will give us all a good shafting.

I disagree. I think it is all the speculation and spinning as what may get hit and by how much that destroys consumer confidence. The sooner people know where they stand they can then just get on with it.

ballot stuffer

Whether the govt falls after the budget is frankly immaterial the budget will pass - the govt will not fall during the budget or its the IMF and they are not going to row back on the cuts.
The sooner people have certainty about the future the better.
There is a cash pile there that will run out sometime early next year. There's plenty of time for a failed budget, resultant election and new budget.

loner

At last, a sensible decision, if it's true. This waiting around for December's budget is like sitting in an airplane with one engine on fire. Personally, I want to know what we have to deal with. Not knowing is what's getting people down. It's killing any impetus to plan and spend.

Bring it on, FF!

Agree 100%

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies