Building a Wall.

gerhard dengler

Block layers / Brick layers / D.I.Y people here.

Been asked to enquire how long should it take to lay 430 standard size blocks : 215mm (height) by 440mm (length) by 100mm (width) for approximately 40 square metres

The area to be built is approximately 40 square metres (height 7ft x length 60ft = 420 square yards or 39.02 square metres).

How long should it take to build a wall of that size/dimension (430 blocks)? A day? Two days?

Thanks in advance.

Northsideman

You meant 42 sq yards?

Do you need to dig and lay foundations? You will need about 4 pillars also. Will the wall need capping stones? Any gates?

Without foundation and capping 2 days all being well for a good brickie and mate.

gerhard dengler

You meant 42 sq yards?

Do you need to dig and lay foundations? You will need about 4 pillars also. Will the wall need capping stones? Any gates?

Without foundation and capping 2 days all being well for a good brickie and mate.
Thanks for the reply, NM.

42 square yards (and not 420 sq yards - my typo).

The wall won't need to be capped, and it won't require gates. It's just a bog standard garden wall. As you say it will need pillars. It will need a foundation. Would 2 days be enough?

Man or Mouse

Been asked to enquire how long should it take to lay 430 standard size blocks : 215mm (height) by 440mm (length) by 100mm (width) for approximately 40 square metres

The area to be built is approximately 40 square metres (height 7ft x length 60ft = 420 square yards or 39.02 square metres).

How long should it take to build a wall of that size/dimension (430 blocks)? A day? Two days?

Thanks in advance.
For a moment there I thought THE WALL might be finally under way. :D

Northsideman

Thanks for the reply, NM.

42 square yards (and not 420 sq yards - my typo).

The wall won't need to be capped, and it won't require gates. It's just a bog standard garden wall. As you say it will need pillars. It will need a foundation. Would 2 days be enough?
No, the foundation dig and laying the concrete could be 2 days maybe one at best with a mini digger and ready mix but would then need to set before laying the blocks on it which should be a least 2 to 3 days. Then 2 days for the brickie to do his work.

Be careful there are no drains running under the proposed wall before digging.

GabhaDubh

Thanks in advance.
Is the site level and easy accessible?

gerhard dengler

No, the foundation dig and laying the concrete could be 2 days maybe one at best with a mini digger and ready mix but would then need to set before laying the blocks on it which should be a least 2 to 3 days. Then 2 days for the brickie to do his work.

Be careful there are no drains running under the proposed wall before digging.
Is the site level and easy accessible?
It's level to the extent that there is already a concrete structure laid where the wall is going to be built.

What is there at the moment is a concrete foundation with concrete pillars, at intervals, along the 60ft length.
Slotted in between the concrete pillars are wooden panels.

Instead of having wooden panels to a height 7ft, the person wants a brick wall preferably.

cozzy121

Has the plannin' been sorted?
This is a very good question, it would be a pity to have the thing built and then some lad from the council tells you, it has to be knocked.

CatullusV

The question of planning permission is a good one. I know from experience that (and this may have changed over thirty years), any permanent construction over six feet in height required planning permission.

Are you certain that there are foundations the full length of the proposed wall? If I were building a wall, I would think in terms of elapsed time. I'd lay the foundations and leave them for some time. Not just a day or two. There really is no rush.

Also, the level of the land is critical and this is where the real stuff happens. Apparently level land is easily a couple of inches out over a short stretch.

gerhard dengler

This is a very good question, it would be a pity to have the thing built and then some lad from the council tells you, it has to be knocked.
Once the structure is on your own property entirely, there should not be any planning issues.

between the bridges

Once the structure is on your own property entirely, there should not be any planning issues.
In Ni a wall over 1m high requires planning and if its a retaining wall building control approval, afaik its 2m in mexicantland... anywho in answer to your original question two weeks, digging founds, founds setting, building wall and presumably plastering (?) wall... wan other thing you mentioned existing piers make sure new wall is either tooth and bonded into them or use croc clips...

otherwise a stiff fart will blow it over...

cozzy121

That is the problem, a man's home is not his castle when it comes to planning etc..
Now I'm sure it's not required if your wall is small enough, but if it isn't and some neighbour complains to the council and they get involved...
I suppose what I'm saying , it's no harm to make sure..

Frequently Asked Questions - Planning | Dublin City Council

Can I build walls around my house without planning permission?

Yes. Subject to:
•Not more than 2m high to the rear.
•Not more than 1.2 metres to the front or forward of the front of the house.

(Page 157, Class 5).

NB: Metal palisade or other security fencing is not exempt.

cozzy121

In Ni a wall over 1m high requires planning and if its a retaining wall building control approval, afaik its 2m in mexicantland... anywho in answer to your original question two weeks, digging founds, founds setting, building wall and presumably plastering (?) wall... wan other thing you mentioned existing piers make sure new wall is either tooth and bonded into them or use croc clips...

otherwise a stiff fart will blow it over...
good shade of orange on dat der wall

gerhard dengler

That is the problem, a man's home is not his castle when it comes to planning etc..
Now I'm sure it's not required if your wall is small enough, but if it isn't and some neighbour complains to the council and they get involved...
I suppose what I'm saying , it's no harm to make sure..

Frequently Asked Questions - Planning | Dublin City Council
I guess that it does depend on your neighbours. I've had two structures built in my back garden both taller than the height requiring planning permission. But I guess I live where I know my neighbours and neither structure was impeding them in any way.

I do take your point about pp. As far as I'm aware this wall is being built entirely within the same property boundary. But thanks for the heads up.

between the bridges

Here horse tis it becuase moi's Orangie? Ye ungrateful cant...

New Threads

Most Replies