Bullion Bertie, no tax clearance & the forthcoming Presidential Election.

bagel

If Bullion Bertie doesn't have a tax clearance certificate by the close of nominations for the Presidential election, can he run in that election?

culmore

If I didnt have my tax affairs in order, I would be before the courts by now and maybe in jail, how come Bertie can not be touched by the Tax Inspectors

controller

The corrupt one will never get a nomination off anybody

ruamruam

If Bullion Bertie doesn't have a tax clearance certificate by the close of nominations for the Presidential election, can he run in that election?
FF wont allow Bertie to run as they know that he would galvanise the anti FF vote and FF would be massacred in the election.

I pays me taxes boys and girls. When I pays for a Bass I pays de excise. Mind you last time I paid for a Bass it cost £1.50. By de way i've me bags packed for de Arse.

anewbeginning

In any normal country, Bertie would be doing a minimum 10 year stretch in a high security prison at this stage.

In Ireland, he's being mentioned as a Presidential Candidate.

No wonder the country is in a mess.

hammer

It would be great to have a bookie in the Aras. Supposedly Bertie never lost on the nags, if you dont take Mirian & Celia into account :) :)

Mushroom

Stranger things have happened.

Anyway, i'm hoping someone with knowledge of SIPO can enlighten me.
Here you go:-

"Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern TD

The Standards Commission received a complaint in early 2008 from Senator Eugene Regan concerning the making of a statutory declaration by former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern TD in accordance with his obligations as a member elected to Dáil Éireann in 2002. The declarations made stated that, to the best of his knowledge and belief, Mr Ahern was in compliance with the obligations specified in section 25(1) of the Standards in Public Office Act 2001 and that nothing in section 25(2) of the Standards in Public Office Act 2001 prevented the issue to him of a tax clearance certificate. Senator Regan noted that in a statement issued on 6 January 2008, Mr Ahern had stated that, following contact initiated by the Revenue Commissioners, he had paid them money on account in recent months in respect of his tax liability and that he had also confirmed that he did not expect to be furnishing a Tax Clearance Certificate to the Standards Commission, but would be furnishing an Application Statement, pending the resolution of his discussions with the Revenue Commissioners. The complainant asserted that this raised an important issue about the circumstances in which Mr Ahern was able to meet the same requirements as a member of the 29th Dáil and furnished evidence or declarations to this effect at that time. A number of similar complaints about Mr Ahern were also received.

The Standards Commission decided it would not be appropriate for it to pursue the matter until the Revenue Commissioners had completed their consideration of Mr Ahern's tax liabilities. It is a matter solely for the Revenue Commissioners to determine whether a person is tax compliant. Consequently, any question as to whether a person may have made a false declaration as to his or her own tax compliance can only be addressed once the Revenue Commissioners had made a determination that the person was not in compliance with his or her obligations under the relevant tax legislation.The Standards Commission wrote to Mr Ahern informing him of the complaint and of its decision as set out above. It also informed him that in the event that the Revenue Commissioners make a determination in his case that he was not in compliance with his obligations, the Standards Commission may decide to consider the matter again at that stage"

Annual Report 2008, Standards in Public Office Commission

In summary, they kicked the issue of Bertie's tax cert into Row Z of the stand.

cricket

One thing is absolutely certain , crooked , corrupt , stupid , naive as FF are , they are not going to even mention the words " Bertie " and " president " in the one sentence.
They're flapping around at the moment looking for a half decent candidate , not easy from within their own ranks.

hammer

The next President of Ireland will be another woman :)

No doubt about it.

Mary O`Rourke / Catherine McGuinness / Emily O` Reilly

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies