• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Bungalow dilemma

Q

Q.Harry

I was travelling around county Kildare and the Irish Midlands today- and it occured to me how ugly this nation has become with ugly pink and yellow bungalows lining nearly every former backroad and country lane. Every country village is now swamped with housing estates, shopping centres with a mile of car park spaces, and ribbon development miles out of town- with ugly, thoughtless bungalows and dormers.
Throughout the countryside houses are been sprung up, the hedgerows ripped out- replaced with southfork ranch-style fencing, an enormous amount of cement for cars, and plastic, cheap looking features on the housing.

How did this beautiful, magical country go so wrong? Housing pre-1970s is so simple, yet beautiful in a down-to-earth type of way. There where wonderful little country villages that ended after less than a mile. These same former villages are infested with ugly housing estates and bungalows today. Why has this country been destroyed with such insenstive, greedy, catalogue-book, unIrish houses-is it just me, or does anybody take offence that this beautiful republic has been reduced to this. What can we do (if its not too late) too reverse this trend- and return Ireland to its former beauty. Thanks guys- love to hear from you all

Last edited:

joel

Depends what you define as ugly - to me, the former are very handsome houses!

Q

Q.Harry

but there on every single backroad and rural village. When I was younger, these we're still seperated by miles of countryside. This cannot be a good thing can it?

X-ray

It was so much nicer when we did not have people to ruin the countryside for urban tourists. All those empty famine cottages were lovely.
The truely bad thing is appartments and housing estates in the middle of nowhere. If people have room why not build a nice big house on its own?
Planners could sets styles to suit the area.

Q

Q.Harry

what is wrong with Irish designs? Why do people go for foreign catalogue sources?

juanpablo

Planning is a joke in Ireland, god help you if you get in the way of someone who wants to build their dream McMansion in the middle of nowhere.

H.R. Haldeman

By a zillion, billion miles the most uncommented upon evil of the many evils of the accursed property bubble is the desecration it has brought to our landscape. Yes, we have the debts and NAMA and Anglo and the levies and all that chaos, but the thing that makes Bertie's claims to patriotism really crumble are the disgusting buildings that he has left to future generations in the last 10 years.

For me, no building better represents this than the monstrosity beside Dublin Castle on Dame Street in Dublin. And Dame Street is one of Dublin's most beautiful, making it even more unbearable. It is seditious that it was ever allowed to be built and indicative of what happens when philistine gombeens are left in charge. I feel violent thoughts stirring in me when I think about this stuff, so I can't bear to say another word.

uriah

Depends what you define as ugly - to me, the former are very handsome houses!
'what we used to have?!!!! Dark. Damp. Dreary. Cramped.

I was reared in one and thank heavens for the modern homes which Q.Harry despises.

Perhaps we should keep a couple for Q.Harry to photograph on his Sunday drive.

Q

Q.Harry

But why do people choose such un-Irish house designs, and make a mess of the road frontage. This doesn't make sense. It just seems so selfish, not thinking about anybody else but yourself- or taking pride and patriotism in your country. Are there no planning laws or design laws.
Please you must understand guys, I was driving today- and it was absolutely horrifying- the only undeveloped area left it seemed was the bog of allen. Its nice to go to Europe and America and come across open countryside and small towns- why should Ireland be any different?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies