Burma's Aung San Suu Kyi to be released

Sync

BBC News - Burma generals 'sign Aung San Suu Kyi release order'

Reports are coming out of Burma saying the military authorities have signed an order authorising the release of pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

The Nobel laureate has been detained for 15 of the past 21 years, and her house arrest term expires on Saturday.

There has been increased police activity outside her house in Rangoon, but as yet no official confirmation.
Fantastic news if true, and a number of unconfirmed reports are saying that she's already been released. After her party won elections in 1990, she's pretty much been under house arrest since then when the military ignored the results.

Clanrickard

jcdf

If they are releasing her, I wonder why now?

Any chance of a genuine democracy in Burma now is futile in my opinion.

Sync

I agree it is great news but the order has been signed is still not free. Don't want to sound cynical but this regime is up there with North Korea as the worlds worst.
I'd put it as worse. If Kim disappeared tomorrow, that country collapses. One could argue that (due to Kim's actions) the political and socially incapable of running themselves, and will require well over a decade of practical assistance from their neighbours. The Junta could just sod off and let democracy take hold, as it almost did in 1990.

Aristodemus

I agree it is great news but the order has been signed is still not free. Don't want to sound cynical but this regime is up there with North Korea as the worlds worst.
The one thing those two regimes have in common is that they are backed by the Chinese. As is Sudan, another beacon of human rights.

Clanrickard

The one thing those two regimes have in common is that they are backed by the Chinese. As is Sudan, another beacon of human rights.
You are right there. China plays a very malign influence on the world stage. Got something to sell? The chicoms will buy it and they don't care if you butcher your entire population in the meantime.

Squire Allworthy

She has made an amazing personal sacrifice as have many, many others in that country.

I hope that the news is correct.

Mister men

Surely our own regime is as bad as anything North Korea or Burma have?

needle_too

Cant be long now before Fianna Fail claim credit for this....

NYCKY

You are right there. China plays a very malign influence on the world stage. Got something to sell? The chicoms will buy it and they don't care if you butcher your entire population in the meantime.
+1

Totally true, the Chinese are going around plundering the worlds natural resources and don't care what despot they prop in doing so. Countries like Burma and N Korea are basically client state of China and could be much further along if China pushed them. She could have been released along time ago if China had exerted some pressure. That said, hope she is finally free or if not very close.

hmmm

An amazing woman, the story of her relationship with her husband in his latter years is heartbreaking. I believe she also hasn't seen her children in years as she refuses to leave Burma.

PAD1OH

this is great news.

a little daunted about what's next but great news all the same.

Clanrickard

Surprised at the lack of attention this news has received. In an age where leadership is thin on the ground this woman is an inspirational figure and beacon of hope in the world. The lack of attention this hideous brutal regime receives from the media is staggering.

MDaniel

captainwillard

This woman has been a professional victim for the last number of years. How extraordinrily selfish to give up one's family on a point of principle.

Bet she hates being released. Now she has to lead a normal life and ..heaven forbid.. get to know her family which she rejected all those years ago.

Clanrickard

This woman has been a professional victim for the last number of years. How extraordinrily selfish to give up one's family on a point of principle.

Bet she hates being released. Now she has to lead a normal life and ..heaven forbid.. get to know her family which she rejected all those years ago.
Ignorant gobshyte.

Skin

I have to say dont know much about the woman or her aims or her ideal. But by the reaction by posters on P.ie not many have a clue or give a damn - in indictment of all politicos on this site and the real level of political sophistication attrubuattle to them? (With exceptions of those few who have engaged this world headlining story)

TaxHavenSite

When will Britain release their Irish political prisoners? There is still a lot of republicans in jail,and are not given political prisoner status by the USA or the UK. Yet this woman gets all the attention in the world. And both the UK and USA considered her to be a political prisoner.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies