• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Burton: Labour will spare low and middle income families

Squib

Labour's Joan Burton said her party will produce a plan which will not force low or middle income families to take all the pain.
Burton Labour will spare low and middle income families

As a floating voter who is looking to minimise their bill for the current economic crisis. I'd like to know what the labour party's definition of a middle income family is.

Is it a family income of below €100,000?
I'd really like to know how much I should be earning before I shouldn't bother supporting Labour.

Anyone know what a middle income family is?

super pedestrian

Burton Labour will spare low and middle income families

As a floating voter who is looking to minimise their bill for the current economic crisis. I'd like to know what the labour party's definition of a middle income family is.

I'd really like to know how much I should be earning before I shouldn't bother supporting Labour.

Anyone know what a middle income family is?
If you're looking for specifics from The Labour Party you'll be waiting a very long time.

darkhorse

Labour are opportunistically trying to hold off releasing any economic policies until after the next budget. They know that the current Government need to convince the international community that we have the courage to solve our problems without intervention from the IMF - in the next budget. So if Labour come to power next time, they will deny all responsability for the recent budget cutbacks but yet benefit from their implementation.
Sly, sly economic policies - but not a surprise from a bunch of fake middle class lefties

TommyO'Brien

Labour - yet more soundbites. Still no detail.

Davidoff

She's said that a number of times, that lower and middle class families shouldn't take all the pain.

Who, pray, is saying that they should?

It's just the usual Labour content-free waffle.

spidermom

Link to "breaking news" dated 18/10/10...now 24/10/10

and seeing as the likes of Tommy et al have responded...perhaps we should
see all parties response to "low and middle" income families....for BALANCE.....(perhaps!!!!)

Squib

Link to "breaking news" dated 18/10/10...now 24/10/10

and seeing as the likes of Tommy et al have responded...perhaps we should
see all parties response to "low and middle" income families....for BALANCE.....(perhaps!!!!)
The date of the link is irrelevent. Burton has stated this this several times in an attempt to attract "middle class" voters.

Simple question: what is Labour's definition of a middle income family?

spidermom

The date of the link is irrelevent. Burton has stated this this several times in an attempt to attract "middle class" voters.

Simple question: what is Labour's definition of a middle income family?
AGREED absolutely...and for balance what are the others????

or is balance not allowed?

Reality bites

Labour - yet more soundbites. Still no detail.
thats rubbish - 3 clear proposals from the Labour party (from last budget and recently) that could raise up to 2 billion include 3rd rate of tax, ending the massive give away that is pension relief (reduce to standard rate - could raise up to a Billion) plus closing off a lot of other tax reliefs. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

What exactly are FG proposing - I don't see any specifics! Cuts in spending - but what does that mean - I know Id like to know.

Labour believes in a more equal ireland and than begins with a progressive tax system - obviously after that u then look at basic rates. If you don't agree with us that is fine - don't vote for us - but don' expect us to come out and support cuts in social welfare. We're not trying to occupy the same space on political spectrum as FG or PDs.

Changes to CAT or introduction of probate or estate tax could raise a tidy sum too.

Personally, id like to see us proposing a small drop in basic tax credit - even if its symbolic - as a sing of solidarity. On top of that, there should be a move to recognise that current public sector pensions were benchmarked off current salary levels so a drop in salaries as happened last year should be recognised in pensions.

There are lots of small things that add up to large sums, without seriously affecting those in low to mid income brackets. Middle income families would be those on 30-80k i would imagine.

cashinhand

So if Labour define middle income as at or below €100,000 and you earn €100,001, you won't vote Labour?

Selfish git.

This is the méféinism that got us into the current mess we're in at the present.

Is politics just voting for those who can do most for you and your family?

What about the families of your neighbours?

Or maybe you don't have any neighbours, and live on the moon?

Scorpio

thats rubbish - 3 clear proposals from the Labour party (from last budget and recently) that could raise up to 2 billion include 3rd rate of tax, ending the massive give away that is pension relief (reduce to standard rate - could raise up to a Billion) plus closing off a lot of other tax reliefs. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
OK, so:
(1) Third rate of tax would leave Ireland with among the highest marginal tax rates in the world. We're already there with our tax rates as it is. Hardly good when competitiveness is based on attracting skilled labour these days, not just capital. Taxing top workers even more may raise about €300m but reducing credits (see below) would raise up to €3bn.

(2) Pension relief: so your solution to Ireland's pension crisis is to take even more from those who have to provide for themselves so that those who have gold-plated pensions can keep theirs! Equitable I think not!

Labour believes in a more equal ireland and than begins with a progressive tax system...
Personally, id like to see us proposing a small drop in basic tax credit - even if its symbolic - as a sing of solidarity...
There are lots of small things that add up to large sums, without seriously affecting those in low to mid income brackets. Middle income families would be those on 30-80k i would imagine.
(1) On progressiveness, check out CyP's link. In the typical OECD country, the higher earners pay about twice the tax rate of average earners (40% to 20%). In Ireland, they pay (or at least did in 2007) seven times the rate for average earners. There's progressive and then there's perverse.
(2) In France and Germany, basic tax credit is worth about €6,000. In most countries, it's about €10,000. In Ireland, it's €18,000. A "small drop"? I think we need much more than that.
(3) €80k is not "middle income".

Libero

I wish to join this chorus of condemnation against the policy-lite, detail-free waffle from the Labour Party.

Furthermore, I wish Irish Politics could return to the glory days of policy-heavy, detail-rich discourse, facilitated as it was by the policy wonks of Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael.

Who is this charlatan Gilmore, to upset the pre-existing standards of excellence, where all policy thought was evidence-based, supported by empirical research ahead of how it would sound as a soundbite?

I think back to those days - before the arrival of Gilmore - of Bertie Ahern and Enda Kenny, exchanging thoughts across the floor of the Dáil as though they were re-enacting one of Plato's early Socratic dialogues (though obviously with more econometric modelling than Socrates ever managed!)

Alas, the Labourine hordes have poured through the gap like so many Persians. But it is still not too late for policy to win out over Labour's lowest brand of politics. The Sunday Independent is on the right side, and is now joined by Fine Gael staffers. It is like Sparta and Athens joining forces again. My heart soars.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
If you're looking for specifics from The Labour Party you'll be waiting a very long time.
Indeed. The only conclusions you can draw from what Labur are (badly) hinting at, is that there will be a new top rate of tax and that corporation tax will be increased. Just come out and say it.

wexfordman

80k for a start us nit much more than two people on AIW so how can it possibly not be middle income ?

Labours proposals to hit pensions is a savage arrack on middle income owners who have to pay for their own retirement!

Labour are whores for votes just like the rest if em, except labour I think are more dangerous than fg!

My voting strategy will be to keep labour out if at all possible

b.a. baracus

Totally misleading thread title. The quote provided says that low and middle incomes will not face all the pain. I don't think they are going to be "spared" as the thread title suggests.

Dreaded_Estate

Labour hasn't said what they are going to do but either have FF or FG.

Until everyone publishes their own plans I see no reason why labour should be singled out

Dreaded_Estate

Labour hasn't said what they are going to do but either have FF or FG.

Until everyone publishes their own plans I see no reason why labour should be singled out

bormotello

So if Labour define middle income as at or below €100,000 and you earn €100,001, you won't vote Labour?
Selfish git.
This is the méféinism that got us into the current mess we're in at the present.
Correct
But labour should be last to complain about it, because méféinism of their core voters from public sector is perfectly acceptable by LP

Is politics just voting for those who can do most for you and your family?
Politics is voting for party, which can think about future, not for populists, who cannot think about tomorrow
It is easy to kill any motivation to earn more, but then it will be less money to pay poor and poor neighbors will pay double price

wombat

We have waited for two years - a few more weeks will hardly be noticed. I'm no Matt Talbot, if someone can solve the govt's finance problem without me suffering, I'm all in favour. Unfortunately I haven't believed in Santa Claus in a very long time:lol:

Popular Threads

Most Replies