• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Bus Éireann strike is likely.

davidcameron

Bus Éireann workers set to strike on Sunday - Social Affairs & News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Thu, May 09, 2013

Bus Éireann, which lost some €6 million last year, plans to cut payroll costs by €5 million. The company says the cuts are necessary to ensure its viability and protect 2,500 jobs.
Why do Bus Éireann employees not accept that these cuts are necessary? It is as if they would be quite happy to see Bus Éireann go bust, which would mean that, instead of their salaries being cut, they'd lose their jobs. I cannot understand their mentality.

The OD

From an entirely selfish point of view, this won't bother me, if anything, it will be pleasant navigating the city without the hassle of buses clogging the place up.

From a more empathic point of view, it's going to make life extremely difficult for thousands of people, not just for the purposes of work but for all manner of activities and as such I hope they won't go ahead with it. In theory I would be a supporter of the right to strike but this will not get them any sympathy.

gijoe

Bus Éireann workers set to strike on Sunday - Social Affairs & News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Thu, May 09, 2013

Why do Bus Éireann employees not accept that these cuts are necessary? It is as if they would be quite happy to see Bus Éireann go bust, which would mean that, instead of their salaries being cut, they'd lose their jobs. I cannot understand their mentality.
They don't believe the government will allow it go under and will increase the subsidy as part of the settlement to keep their pay and conditions.

Ren84

I wish BE drivers would do another "no cost to travel" day like a few years ago. :)

D

Deleted member 17573

Once a public service obligation is attached to a company providing any service, while its competitors are allowed to cherry pick profitable routes, we must be prepared to bear the cost. It is not a justification for penalizing the workers.

Roll_On

I don't understand why the company can't simply sit the staff down and say, 'due to the difficult economic climate there needs to be cuts on pay roll in order for the company to survive, this can be achieved by reduced pay/conditions or through a reduction in staff members).

If they go on strike it'll be a great day for private bus operators who realise that East European drivers will work for €10 or under per hour and are better able to drive in difficult weather. I'd also expect a boom time for Irish Rail.

Ribeye

Oh no,

How the hell am I going to.....,

Oh wait,

P1ss off BE,

Total waste of money,

D

Deleted member 17573

NBRU industrial action will probably see train services affected too.
Maybe we should privatize the rail service like in the UK! Seen the fares lately, the efficiency and economy of the private sector is something to behold?:roll:

Tea Party Patriot

Here is hoping that government show some back bone and don't cave in to them.

D

Deleted member 17573

I don't understand why the company can't simply sit the staff down and say, 'due to the difficult economic climate there needs to be cuts on pay roll in order for the company to survive, this can be achieved by reduced pay/conditions or through a reduction in staff members).

If they go on strike it'll be a great day for private bus operators who realise that East European drivers will work for €10 or under per hour and are better able to drive in difficult weather. I'd also expect a boom time for Irish Rail.
Fine as long as you live on one of the routes in which the private operators are interested!

blokesbloke

I'd need to see the full details of their case before I could form an opinion, but it is worth bearing in mind that if they do have a public service obligation it is unfair to compare them to private operators.

Analyzer

Maybe we should privatize the rail service like in the UK! Seen the fares lately, the efficiency and economy of the private sector is something to behold?:roll:
What about kicking out FFinished cronies on the board of CIE ?

shoneen

[video=youtube;HaSi2Z74Ou8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaSi2Z74Ou8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Ribeye

Voted down - 83% against

Strike time baby,

S

simeongrimes

Fine as long as you live on one of the routes in which the private operators are interested!
Ah yes the so called non-profitable routes where the private sector couldn't possibly make money. I would suggest that just because a state monopoly manage to lose money on a route does not make it unprofitable.

stopdoingstuff

This seriously dents my crack cocaine delivery business.