• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Business people doing what they want

mickterry

I have been made aware of an incident lately where a case was taken to the PIAB by a woman who was injured in a pub. She was awarded 40k but it transpired that there was no insurance taken out for the premises. The person running the place had a lease and has since left that business. The woman has no recourse as he is saying he has no money. Surely this is wrong and that there should be insurance cover for all public places.

drummed

Refreshing to see a thread based on actual proven facts as oppossed to the normal hearsay and speculation we get around here. Did you about this tragedy in a pub by any chance?

Lonewolfe

You might change the thread title to, Business Person Does What he Wants

I have been made aware of an incident lately where a case was taken to the PIAB by a woman who was injured in a pub. She was awarded 40k but it transpired that there was no insurance taken out for the premises. The person running the place had a lease and has since left that business. The woman has no recourse as he is saying he has no money. Surely this is wrong and that there should be insurance cover for all public places.
A link would be cool.

In my experience I can't do business without adequate insurance, but that may not be universal.

My current cover is for €20m in the case that I cause damage to a client.

drummed

You might change the thread title to, Business Person Does What he Wants
Indeed. Was is a person or people involved? How did this most unfortuanate accident come about anyway?
40k seems a lot for falling off a bar stool to me.

drummed

A link would be cool.

In my experience I can't do business without adequate insurance, but that may not be universal.

Stay right there. I'll be right over...................

Stay right there. I'll be right over...................
There's definitely a scam to be had. Unfortunately, the sort of damage I could do would make that €20m look very inadequate indeed. I hate to say it, but that figure is actually pretty nominal.

mickterry

A link would be cool.

The PIAB is not held in public. I can assure you it happened. I have seen the court documents. The documents I have seen do not go into the case, only the order for payment by the court.

stopdoingstuff

A link would be cool.

20 million? Do you do vasectomies or something?

The PIAB is not held in public. I can assure you it happened. I have seen the court documents. The documents I have seen do not go into the case, only the order for payment by the court.
Anecdote, then.

Lonewolfe

A link would be cool.

I didn't think it were possible to run any business from a public premises without public liability insurance.

They're a liability at the best of times with out bringing drink into the equation.

FakeViking

Those in the know arrange their falls much more carefuly. See €30,000 for Hanafin mum after Leinster House fall - Independent.ie

20 million? Do you do vasectomies or something?
Nahhh. I generally work in banks at the level of the operating system. An outage (even a brief one) could cost them millions very quickly.

In reality, if I really screwed up, twenty mill wouldn't plug the gap.

In one client shop, the last 7 zeroes are assumed in every transaction on the application screens; the default lowest transaction is 10,000,000. The place tonight has probably over ten trillion en dépot.

Take them down for an hour and losses pile up quickly - even more quickly when people know that you're down.

Last edited:

loch gorman

Down our way in the sunny south east, the chair of comhairle ceantair of a political party had to be removed from two businesses well before his lease were up. He left a lot of people unpaid, staff, suppliers,ESB etc. the worse thing is that there is nothing to stop people like this starting up another business and doing the same again.

stopdoingstuff

Nahhh. I generally work in banks at the level of the operating system. An outage (even a brief one) could cost them millions very quickly.

In reality, if I really screwed up, twenty mill wouldn't plug the gap.

In one client shop, the last 8 zeroes are assumed in every transaction on the application screens; the default lowest transaction is 10,000,000. The place tonight has probably over ten trillion en dépot.

Take them down for an hour and losses pile up quickly - even more quickly when people know that you're down.
Ok I get it. I used to work for a certain stock exchange and then a sovereign wealth fund and I remember the IT people were definitely the key link in the chain.

Ok I get it. I used to work for a certain stock exchange and then a sovereign wealth fund and I remember the IT people were definitely the key link in the chain.
Yup. I think that the insistence on insurance is actually relatively nominal in such arenas.

I actually was asked (in a very ironic manner) to witness a physical transfer of bonds one day. The value of the bonds being trollied from one room to another was €35 Billion.

That's the reason I, as an Irishman, was asked to be a witness.

drummed

There's definitely a scam to be had. Unfortunately, the sort of damage I could do would make that €20m look very inadequate indeed. I hate to say it, but that figure is actually pretty nominal.
No benefit to undervaluing yourself i always say. Not that anyone on here ever finds you a bit pompous and self satisfied or anything. Perish the thought. (Cruimh might have said it once but i soon set him staight!).

Anyway, how is airtraffic control in Kabul these days?

No benefit to undervaluing yourself i always say. Not that anyone on here ever finds you a bit pompous and self satisfied or anything. Perish the thought. (Cruimh might have said it once but i soon set him staight!).

Anyway, how is airtraffic control in Kabul these days?
I'm in Bagram these days. Had a bit of a "oops" moment yesterday, but I think I got away with it.

tipp revolution

I would say that a lot of businesses are finding it hard to meet overheads but imo insurance is crucial. It must be an offence not to have insurance in a public place?

I would say that a lot of businesses are finding it hard to meet overheads but imo insurance is crucial. It must be an offence not to have insurance in a public place?
Anyone who doesn't carry insurance is being reckless.