• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Buy Irish ? For Services ? You must be having a laugh !!!!

Spirit Of Newgrange

In order to ascertain if an experiment is accurate and reliable, people often repeat the data collection many times. So, you are invited to collect your own data and to arrive at your own conclusions.

Over the last couple of years i have been using many different barber shops across Dublin to get my hair cut. Trying to find the perfect barber that i can stay loyal to forever. Have now tried about 20 of them. One Polish one is cheap and no frills- 7 quid. Another Polish one is priced at the market rate of a tenner yet she takes ages to cut your hair and does an excellent job. 45 minutes in the chair. The fellas from Azerbaijan will throw in a head massage and some exotic eyebrow treatments for free - a good 35 minutes fun. The Turkish fellas use hot towels and make me feel like a Sultan for a day - for 9 quid.

The one notable observation is that about half the Irish ones are just ok, acceptable. And the other half of the Irish ones are truly abysmal. The worst example being an auld fella in the city centre who begins cutting my hair and then after about 4 minutes goes 'voila, all done, thats 18 quid pleeease'. And when you ask him to 'please finish the job' he makes a face akin to Padre Pio weeping for all the pains in the world and starts to bemoan the death of De Valera.

So, lets forget about hair and think about 'the service industry' in general. Is it worth buying Irish or is it sentimental financial suicide ?
Tertiary sector of the economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.

truthisfree

I would have thought that going anywhere in Ireland for a haircut was buying Irish!

storybud1

In order to ascertain if an experiment is accurate and reliable, people often repeat the data collection many times. So, you are invited to collect your own data and to arrive at your own conclusions.

Over the last couple of years i have been using many different barber shops across Dublin to get my hair cut. Trying to find the perfect barber that i can stay loyal to forever. Have now tried about 20 of them. One Polish one is cheap and no frills- 7 quid. Another Polish one is priced at the market rate of a tenner yet she takes ages to cut your hair and does an excellent job. 45 minutes in the chair. The fellas from Azerbaijan will throw in a head massage and some exotic eyebrow treatments for free - a good 35 minutes fun. The Turkish fellas use hot towels and make me feel like a Sultan for a day - for 9 quid.

The one notable observation is that about half the Irish ones are just ok, acceptable. And the other half of the Irish ones are truly abysmal. The worst example being an auld fella in the city centre who begins cutting my hair and then after about 4 minutes goes 'voila, all done, thats 18 quid pleeease'. And when you ask him to 'please finish the job' he makes a face akin to Padre Pio weeping for all the pains in the world and starts to bemoan the death of De Valera.

So, lets forget about hair and think about 'the service industry' in general. Is it worth buying Irish or is it sentimental financial suicide ?
My Mrs cuts mine far better than any barber I have ever been to, why don't you just keep shopping around like everybody else in the known world until you are happy and stop wasting time, we have politicians to slag off here.

Jackass

Go for an Irish night out in the centre of Dublin and pay 25%+ more than an Irish night out locally. Two tier Ireland still exists.

brughahaha

Grafton barber ...on Grafton street , can't be beaten ........ Not about the money , its about the quality of the cut ( head massage usually included)

Dont really understand the thread TBH

I can buy a shirt in Michael Guineys ....or Pink ....its entirely up to me how i spend my money , if i feel something is a rip off , i don't buy it ...simple really

Anyway , men in general have little to complain about regarding the cost of haircuts considering we pay a fraction of what women pay

Shqiptar

Oh look. Another of those self-loathing, the-Irish-are-the-worst-nation-ever threads.

ygargarin

I would have thought that going anywhere in Ireland for a haircut was buying Irish!
Agreed. Ethnicity of service-provider is irellevant. Unless op just dislikes foreigners - then he/she has other problems to deal with.

Mr. Bumble

Rub a tube of Immac into your head.

dunno

Unless you can take a private jet to London for a haircut, you are always buying Irish, I mean, unless some racist knacker only wants an Irish born person to touch their dead flesh or whatever hair is made of. City centre barbers can carry insane rates. 18 quid, fuk that.

Mr. Bumble

People on this thread keep talking about 'quids'. Pay in euros - it's cheaper.

fecker

People on this thread keep talking about 'quids'. Pay in euros - it's cheaper.
You is not Northside Dublin, is you? Anyways, it takes me about six minutes in the shower (Northside) to get a fresh baldy scalp.
haven't been to a barber on years. Don't mind the rain but, am always unprepared for hail stones.

EvotingMachine0197

You've tried 20 barbers? Seriously?

southwestkerry

I get my no1 done in Listowel every month or so. It costs 7 euro and is a top job. She [she is a she] has been in the business a long time. Her hubby did it before her and before that it was hubbys dad. They have been their a very long time in other words. So I spend local on Irish no bother.

Tea Party Patriot

He must be wearing a hair piece if he can buy haircuts outside of the country with physically leaving himself. I wonder if he has a better one than Donie Cassidy?

Mitsui2

LOL! I am completely gobsmacked to find you - of all people! - starting a thread about how immigrants do things better, more generously and with more VFM than natives. I'd lay odds that you originally started this mad experiment with the idea of proving (to your own satisfaction at least) the opposite.