By 2026 Irish education will be the best in Europe

Old Mr Grouser

Just announced -

Government has published an action plan aimed at making the Irish education and training system the best in Europe by 2026.

The plan will run over the next three years and will comprise of hundreds of actions to be implemented over the period, with a focus on disadvantage, skills, and improvements within the education service.

The plan will be updated annually with implementation reports published every three months.

Plan to make Irish education best in Europe - RTÉ News

silverharp

lol

GDPR

Action Plan on Jobs, Action Plan on Housing, this is the latest? The action plan in itself is very welcome and will need the requisite resources to meet the targets. The government obviously have this action plan template and seems to have had much success re jobs and the housing action plan is a very good one.

General Urko

WEll you would have to address getting modern education technology into schools as a priority, then substantially cut teachers pay and holidays and have complete transparency in job interviews!

daveL

Oh anther glossy plan that can be ditched by the next shower of short termists.. Seen enough of these photoshoots from these failed fools.

daveL

WEll you would have to address getting modern education technology into schools as a priority, then substantially cut teachers pay and holidays and have complete transparency in job interviews!
And actually do something meaningful about equal access to primary education.

wombat

Action Plan on Jobs, Action Plan on Housing, this is the latest? The action plan in itself is very welcome and will need the requisite resources to meet the targets. The government obviously have this action plan template and seems to have had much success re jobs and the housing action plan is a very good one.
Bruton believes in planning, he likes to set targets and measure progress rather than the glossy "big picture" approach. He's keen on education so if he stays in charge for a year or two, there is some chance of incremental change.

Old Mr Grouser

There's another report here - https://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/ireland-wants-best-education-system-europe-2026

It's saying, among other things, that coding is to be taught in primary schools, that entrepreneurial skills will be taught at secondary school, and that there'll be third level courses in Mandarin.

That's all very well, and I'm sure that these subjects will only be taught to those with an aptitude for it; but there are only employment opportunities in those fields for those people that have outstanding ability.

devoutcapitalist

Irish will still be compulsory in 10 years time, the education system will continue to be dumbed down and there will still be an emphasis on trying to get as many people as possible into college even though some people are not suited to college.

D

Deleted member 45466

Please stop this....I had to wrap duct tape around my sides....

wombat

Irish will still be compulsory in 10 years time, the education system will continue to be dumbed down and there will still be an emphasis on trying to get as many people as possible into college even though some people are not suited to college.
While you're at it, can I have Saturday's lottery numbers?

Abacus

I think it advisable that the Dept follow the methodology used to teach us Irish. I mean just look at how that's been massaged and shaped over the last 75 years or so until it became the perfect creation that we all know today. I can see our offspring clasping Mandarin to their bosoms as they acknowledge the correctness of the Nostrodamus prediction.

Prester Jim

Yup, do that and the only people willing to teach will be morons and losers, you looking for the job yourself?

wombat

The important targets are not introducing coding or Mandarin but getting poor children to see the value of education so that they learn while they are waiting to leave school. The other area is getting more apprentices into relevant trades rather than pushing students into 3rd level basket weaving degree courses.

Prester Jim

The important targets are not introducing coding or Mandarin but getting poor children to see the value of education so that they learn while they are waiting to leave school. The other area is getting more apprentices into relevant trades rather than pushing students into 3rd level basket weaving degree courses.
Exactly right and that will be a monumental task, the 3-10 year old programs are a great idea, no idea if they are working though.
All the evidence that I have seen suggests that the great problem is getting kids in DEIS areas and schools to prioritise education for themselves. For that you need their parents to push them and support them and be able to support them or have plentiful supports in schools for those kids whose parents are less able.
Be a great idea to eradicate adult illiteracy too as a target.

GDPR

Exactly right and that will be a monumental task, the 3-10 year old programs are a great idea, no idea if they are working though.
All the evidence that I have seen suggests that the great problem is getting kids in DEIS areas and schools to prioritise education for themselves. For that you need their parents to push them and support them and be able to support them or have plentiful supports in schools for those kids whose parents are less able.
Be a great idea to eradicate adult illiteracy too as a target.
Goes well beyond education which goes without saying, no easy answers for sure.

Lara2

Coding? Many rural schools won't even have broadband until 2020 ffs.

Any chance of teaching them basic manners and etiquette or how to use the internet properly without uploading nude pictures to their boyfriends/girlfriends and giving young fellas bjs at festivals only to be uploaded by one of their "mates" which will plague them forever and future employees will see? Any chance of "cop on" or common sense classes ?

General Urko

I would wager on a few things -
We won't have anything like the best education system in Europe by 2026!
We will probably have the best paid full time teachers (well many of them would be purely masquerading as teachers) in Europe by 2026!
Those teachers, masqueraders and all will have the best holiday entitle ments in Europe by 2026!
Our disgraceful nationaladult functional illiteracy rate (around 25%) will hardly have changed by 2026!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies