By-Elections 2019: Wexford, Cork NC, Dublin Fingal & Dublin Midwest.

redneck

I believe that Kenny Egan might be the Fine Gael candidate in Dublin Mid West. He seems to have a fairly high profile at the moment. And there is usually a good reason for this. He would be difficult to beat. S.F might run Lynn Boylan and she would be a good candidate. It would be an interesting match up.

Keatingfan

I believe that Kenny Egan might be the Fine Gael candidate in Dublin Mid West. He seems to have a fairly high profile at the moment. And there is usually a good reason for this. He would be difficult to beat. S.F might run Lynn Boylan and she would be a good candidate. It would be an interesting match up.
Lynn Boylan won’t be running here I’m told. And Kenneth Egan won’t either. The dead cert for FG is Cllr Emer Higgins with William Lavelle an outside possibility now that Frances Fitz has departed for Europe. Higgins in turn is the favourite for the seat. There’s a full thread on this elsewhere.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
William Lavelle... you mean the spy? Or another William Lavelle?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There was a Joe Lavelle appointed to the board of the HSE in 2010 by Sumo ... any relation, does anyone know?

PatrickSmithUS

Malcolm Byrne want FF to run four candidates in the next GE. They've only selected two in Browne and MacDonald.

I'd imagine he's worried that MacDonald has no chance of being elected and they could be in trouble in the South of the county. Lots of FFers around the New Ross/Hook peninsula area have spoken openly about supporting Verona Murphy FG so they need to do something.

The bye election will probably turn into a shoot out between Murphy FG, George Lawlor Labour and the Wallace selected candidate. The only way that FF have a hope of competing is to select Byrne but MacDonald will likely block that.

lff12

G
Lynn Boylan won’t be running here I’m told. And Kenneth Egan won’t either. The dead cert for FG is Cllr Emer Higgins with William Lavelle an outside possibility now that Frances Fitz has departed for Europe. Higgins in turn is the favourite for the seat. There’s a full thread on this elsewhere.
Higgins is much liked - but can she retain the seat?
Someone has said Paul Gogarty could win - find that very doubtful. If he was going to win he would have done so in 2016.

Donking

Emer Higgans will take the seat fairly easily. Kenny Egan would have absolutely no chance. Some local votes in clondalkin to get onto the council is his limit

Dame_Enda

Labour are strong in Wexford town. FF traditionally in New Ross though less so than before 2008. Farming vote evenly divided between FF and FG. But its a constituency that is particularly sensitive to regional candidates, and one of FF's mistakes last time was to to ignore the open goal of there being no prominent Enniscorthy candidate. SF are in decline in Wexford having narrowly missed out 2 and 2 GE's ago.

Barroso

... SF are in decline in Wexford having narrowly missed out 2 and 2 GE's ago.
What effect will Wallace decamping to Europe have on the SF vote? I would have thought it would free up votes, and probably some of them will go to SF.

the secretary

What effect will Wallace decamping to Europe have on the SF vote? I would have thought it would free up votes, and probably some of them will go to SF.
Not to the extent that it will make them even the slightest bit competitive.
Didnt their GE candidate not even get elected to the council?

Barroso

Not to the extent that it will make them even the slightest bit competitive.
Didnt their GE candidate not even get elected to the council?
Sorry, I thought he came within a hair's breadth the last time out, yes, I see on the last count he was just 52 votes behind Kehoe who got the last seat, and over 2,000 votes ahead of the closest FFer.
I know SF have fallen back a bit since 2016, but surely he's in with a chance?

midlander12

Sorry, I thought he came within a hair's breadth the last time out, yes, I see on the last count he was just 52 votes behind Kehoe who got the last seat, and over 2,000 votes ahead of the closest FFer.
In theory he should be, but losing your council seat isn't a great start to a GE campaign. And falling from 13% to 9% nationally is more than 'a bit'.

MOSS1

Labour are strong in Wexford town. FF traditionally in New Ross though less so than before 2008. Farming vote evenly divided between FF and FG. But its a constituency that is particularly sensitive to regional candidates, and one of FF's mistakes last time was to to ignore the open goal of there being no prominent Enniscorthy candidate. SF are in decline in Wexford having narrowly missed out 2 and 2 GE's ago.
Is James Browne not based in Enniscorthy???

MOSS1

I presume you mean no prominent New Ross candidate? Aoife Byrne was a surprise choice over the 2 Cllrs in that area, Whelan and Sheehan who must be miffed at being overlooked. The New Ross vote splintered in several directions with John Dwyer top in the town itself, then Paul Kehoe & Aoife Byrne in the surrounding areas and Wallace as you went further south.

For as long as I can remember Enniscorthy area has returned 2 seats - Browne and Yates/Kehoe - with one in WX town (Howlin) and then Gorey, New Ross and a 2nd WX town candidate fighting for the other two. WX town (if you include Rosslare) held 3 seats in 2002 but back to 1 seat in recent times.

the secretary

SF came in 6th in a 5 seater at the last GE, of course they are not going to feature.
This is a by-election, big difference!

jdwex

Malcolm Byrne and Michael Sheehan have been added to the Fianna Fail ticket for the next GE (that makes it 4 on the ticket). I presume Malcolm will be the bye election candidate.

Round tower

Malcolm Byrne and Michael Sheehan have been added to the Fianna Fail ticket for the next GE (that makes it 4 on the ticket). I presume Malcolm will be the bye election candidate.

One of their origional candidates selected at the convention is not very happy

the secretary

So with uncle Leo's declaration that the election should be in May 2020 this means the by-elections will be going ahead!

New Threads

Most Replies