Bye Bye Bertiejet!

Dohville

The Blessed Gulfstream G4 is to get the axe.

Department of Defence - Press Releases
There are currently 2 aircrafts available for the Ministerial Air Transport Service. The Gulfstream IV aircraft is in service for almost 20 years and no provision has been made in the Estimates for a replacement or for any major structural repair. The Learjet aircraft will continue in operation.
This aircraft, when retired should be placed in a museum to Fianna Fail extravagance.
  • It was designed by Charles J, with the assistance of Gulfstream, and decorated to his personal taste.
  • The Chocolate eaten by its passengers was picked to Mary Harney's personal taste.
  • When the Air Corps had to give up search and rescue to Private enterprise, it soldiered on.
  • When the Army had to drive overland through sub saharan africa to chad, it soldiered on.
  • When we realised after 9-11 that our defence forces had no means of providing the bare minimum of aerial defence, it soldiered on.
  • Even though bertie felt it was not a fitting tribute to his own inflated sense of self importance, it soldiered on.

It survived berties best efforts to replace it with a 737 size luxury business jet(seating 20) the type of which are popular with other third world dictators.

It was not paid for, like most executive jets with the profits of a successful business, but by taxpayers money and the already tiny defence Budget.
It was not operated, crewed and maintained by a "national" airline who would be accustomed to providing their passengers with their every need, but by members of the defence forces, who probably did not join the defence forces with the intention of becoming flight attendants or pilots of an air taxi service.

I fear for the future of the Lear jet, the remaining "government jet".
They complain it is too small. You can't stretch your legs in its small cabin..(you can only stretch them in the reclining armchair seats).

Air Corps 251.
1991-2011.
:cool:

former wesleyan

Expect a Shinner protest soon. How ever are they going to get around when they take their places in the next power sharing government in Ireland ?

spotty

Spotty's not going to be popular for this one - but he supports the idea of a government jet. It's as much about the prestige of the country as anything else.

Mushroom

The G4 was indeed Emperor Charles J Haughey's vanity project. As far as I remember, he was given a lift somewhere in Mick Smurfit's private jet and was very impressed with the luxury and convenience it offered, so he issued a diktat to his minions to buy one for him.

As stated earlier, he took a personal interest in fitting it out with the best of everything Irish - Waterford Crystal, Youghal Carpet, Jeyes loo paper, etc. etc.

It was due to arrive in Ireland in January 1991, but for budgetary reasons, Gulfstream insisted on delivering it early so it duly arrived - in secret - to Casement Aerodrome in December 1990. Naturally the 'secret' was leaked and led to massive media attention, whereupon Haughey instructed the GIS to say that it hadn't arrived. Unfortunately for him, it was too big to fit into a Hanger, so the Air Corps had to leave the tail sticking out!

Thus we had the bizzare spectacle of newspaper cameramen standing on their car roofs so they could take pictures of the 'new jet' while the GIS and the Army Press Office were still denying that it had arrived in the country!

GUBU days!

former wesleyan

Spotty's not going to be popular for this one - but he supports the idea of a government jet. It's as much about the prestige of the country as anything else.
If the damn thing had been used for intergovernmental business I'd have agreed with you but as a ministerial extension of the Merc, I'm afraid prestige was the last thing it signified.

JPFGFan

Maybe now we can focus on getting the Air Corps. some actual jet fighters instead.

Dohville

Maybe now we can focus on getting the Air Corps. some actual jet fighters instead.
I fear without MATS or SAR, it is very difficult to justify the existence of the Air Corps as a seperate force. I think we are down to under 20 aircraft now?
Much of the operational flying could be taken over by either the Army or Naval service for administrative purposes.

ellie08

The G4 was indeed Emperor Charles J Haughey's vanity project. As far as I remember, he was given a lift somewhere in Mick Smurfit's private jet and was very impressed with the luxury and convenience it offered, so he issued a diktat to his minions to buy one for him.

As stated earlier, he took a personal interest in fitting it out with the best of everything Irish - Waterford Crystal, Youghal Carpet, Jeyes loo paper, etc. etc.

It was due to arrive in Ireland in January 1991, but for budgetary reasons, Gulfstream insisted on delivering it early so it duly arrived - in secret - to Casement Aerodrome in December 1990. Naturally the 'secret' was leaked and led to massive media attention, whereupon Haughey instructed the GIS to say that it hadn't arrived. Unfortunately for him, it was too big to fit into a Hanger, so the Air Corps had to leave the tail sticking out!

Thus we had the bizzare spectacle of newspaper cameramen standing on their car roofs so they could take pictures of the 'new jet' while the GIS and the Army Press Office were still denying that it had arrived in the country!

GUBU days!
:p Ah that's funny. It should be put in a museum. We could be reminded of those heady days,( well heady for some). Wasn't there a helicopter that was used by Michael Woods (I think it was ) the one whose door blew off. I'd certainly like to see it.

FakeViking

I support the idea of a Govt jet also. One big enough to take the entire Cabinet. On a oneway flight to somewhere far, far away.

FakeViking

:p Ah that's funny. It should be put in a museum. We could be reminded of those heady days,( well heady for some). Wasn't there a helicopter that was used by Michael Woods (I think it was ) the one whose door blew off. I'd certainly like to see it.
Martin Cullen

Aindriu

I support the idea of a Govt jet also. One big enough to take the entire Cabinet. On a oneway flight to somewhere far, far away.
+1

I'm sure Shrek will be there to meet them when they get there petunia

drjimryan2

sorry to upset the party lads......but (and I fail to see why the pr people cant tell us this fact) over 30% of flights on the mats are for patient/organ transfer.......FACT....

simple people = simple politics = simplistic outcomes = difficult, complex, hard to solve long term problems....

Last edited:

thebig C

The Lear Jet was a stupid purchase too.

All its good for is transporting a handful of people on short hops to Continental Europe. When the media frenzy prevented Bertie from buying himself a Boeing or Airbus, he was still determined that he should at the very least get some sort or new toy no matter how small. The LJ was picked in part because its made by Bombardier who operate the former Shortts plant in Belfast....this was then used as another sop about supporting the Peace Process!

If they had bought a more capable aircraft, whilst it would have been a waste of money, at least you might get some residual value that it could help Irish officials to travel far and wide to look for new investment....which we need desperately at the moment! Needless to say, even when they were flush with cash and could do pretty much anything....Bertie and FF made all the wrong decisions!

C

BTW: I don't support the profligate and wasteful use of the Government Jet that we witnessed FAS and Noel Dempsey engaging in, but, I do think we need the means for our Government to be able to travel world wide without having to hang around airport lounges waiting for connections!

john scott

Clever move by the government in the budget just as the opposition are waiting to become the new ministers they
cut ministers pay
calculate pension on the lower payment
sell two government jets
Leave TDs pay as it is as FF will be in opposition.

Interesting political stroke.

Samell

Only worth about $7,995,000.
Learjet may bring in $ 6,000,000 or we could lease it out for about $795,000.
hardly worth the tarmac they stand on.
The money could buy an awful lot of flights on Ryanair though.

Dohville

sorry to upset the party lads......but (and I fail to see why the pr people cant tell us this fact) over 30% of flights on the mats are for patient/organ transfer.......FACT....

simple people = simple politics = simplistic outcomes = difficult, complex, hard to solve long term problems....
I'm sure you have a source for this but, the G4 was not suitable for patient/organ transfer. Other aircraft were usually used, such as the now retired Kingair or Casa Maritime Patrol aircraft.(the same one that brought Gilligan home). The Lear is equipped to be used as an Air Ambulance, and has done so, when it is available. However now that it is the only government jet, its availability will be scarce.

drjimryan2

the figures are for the mats and do not specify type of craft used..........

they do bring up a vaild point, if we loose aircraft, we also loose capacity.....

if we get more than 3 million for the g or the lear, in the present market, i will be amazed.......

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies