bypassing Britain (Brexit-busting’ ferry launched from Dublin Port)

Se0samh

So you do not care that 600 hundred truckers will have to bed down in their trucks in dank smelly dungeons in the bowels of this what can only be called a ship of torture.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Field Marshal

I imagine if it doesnt attract business and doesnt make a profit, then the private company behind this route will withdraw the service.
Looking at photos and specs of this big mickey tin can , I find nothing indicating separate sleeping berths for the 600 unfortunate drivers who will be forced to spend 30 miserable hours probably sleeping in their cabs in dark smelly conditions.

wombat

I agree, sounds like a good idea - except the 30 hours travel time. Is there any closer landfall on the continent?
Marginally shorter sailing times Rosslare to France but this is a commercial venture so demand will determine viability, if its not profitable, it won't continue.

The Field Marshal

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Where are the drivers going to sleep on a 30hour voyage.?

I have tried to find out but the ships exterior appearance is almost windowless.
The only conclusion is that the poor wretches will have to go into the smelly hold with their own trucks .

Reminds me of the slave ships that used to bring captured Africans to America.

The Field Marshal

Marginally shorter sailing times Rosslare to France but this is a commercial venture so demand will determine viability, if its not profitable, it won't continue.
A 30 hour voyage is proposed from Ireland.
No evidence of sleeping accommodation being provided.
Cattle are treated better.

raetsel

Someone made the point that the Brexiteers prophesied that they could make their own way in the global trading environment. But now it looks like there is a return to protectionism and retraction from global trade deals. Ironically, the best deal for the UK would be to stay within the EU. NI is on the brink.
On the brink of what?

silverharp

The Field Marshal

basic health and safety, i have never been on a ferry where you can stay in your vehicle

https://www.freightlink.co.uk/ferry-operator/cobelfret

in the basic facts bottom left
Many thanks for the info.
Berth in cabin included.

What does that mean?

Are you sharing shower wc etc with 5 smelly continental types?

I have been on various ferries around the world.
Without exception they all stink , especially the sanitary accomm.

I have also done overnight crossings on these vessels and believe me sleep is rarely possible due to the noise and hum of the huge engines and if the seas are rough then forget it.

Se0samh

Where are the drivers going to sleep on a 30hour voyage.?

I have tried to find out but the ships exterior appearance is almost windowless.
The only conclusion is that the poor wretches will have to go into the smelly hold with their own trucks .

Reminds me of the slave ships that used to bring captured Africans to America.
The manacles are much more comfortable now though, padded I believe....:rolleyes:

Wascurito

Would it have killed the OP writer to have given "bypassing" a capital B?

Brexit got one, I see.

And Brihin.

The Field Marshal

The manacles are much more comfortable now though, padded I believe....:rolleyes:
Will they charge extra for the vomit buckets?

Many will be required as there is no rail to lean over and do it into the water.

fat finger

This ferry is a bad idea from the point of view of helping our nearest neighbour survive the calamity of Brexit, it goes without saying that 'managing' goods hauled through Britain from Ireland to the continent and vice versa will be one of the very few growth areas of the UK economy after Brexit goes through (if Brexit goes through), but anyone who has taken a car or truck from Ireland through Wales to England is already very familiar with the way police in Wales stop and harrass motorists and invent all kinds of clever ways to extract on the spot fines, this kind of state approved theft will certainly be on the rise after Brexit, Leo should be talking to Welsh police NOW to ensure the theft stops so Irish truckers and motorists can do their bit to help Britain through the calamity of Brexit

Se0samh

Will they charge extra for the vomit buckets?

Many will be required as there is no rail to lean over and do it into the water.

Asides standard unaccompanied trailers, Celine's capacity caters for tank containers, project cargo, new cars and a capacity for 12 driver accompanied units. The leadship newbuild completed by Hyundai Mipo in Ulsan,South Korea represents a fleet expansion plan for CLdN, with a sistership due in the coming months.

https://afloat.ie/port-news/dublin-...uced-on-dublin-routes-linking-mainland-europe

:rolleyes:

The Field Marshal

The Field Marshal

What is Unaccompanied Freight?
Unaccompanied freight is the transport of wheeled freight without the driver and cab. Essentially, the freight vehicle is left at the quay side at the port by a driver (detached from the cab) and a tug master (small tractor) pulls the vehicle on and off the ship.

Seems then that the way this works is that driver unhitches the trailer at port and does not travel at all.
Another different driver on continent must then pick up.
588 is the proposed number.

Is not this then just a slight variation on the container shipping model?

I’d say the Irish lorry drivers will lose out big time in employment if my analysis of this model is correct.

Did Leo say anything about possible Irish job losses this during the launch of the big mickey ship?

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

Absolutely no doubt but that this new ferry service will lead to large job losses for native Irish lorry drivers.

This new ferry link requires two separate cabs and drivers one in Ireland and one on the continent.
The Irish driver will not travel to the continent as heretofore and will henceforth have far far less work available to him/ her.

Funny that Leo and his political goons never referred to this looming job loss.

bactrian

Its mad that the boat will host 600 truck drivers for 36 hours. Hope there's a cinema on board.
They might just place trailers on board and then have trucks hitch on to them in the destination port.

The Field Marshal

They might just place trailers on board and then have trucks hitch on to them in the destination port.
That is exactly how it works,
588 trailers only , without driver or cab.
A second different non Irish based driver collects the goods at the continental port.

The jobs and livelihoods of hundreds of native Irish lorry drivers will be adversely impacted since their journey on the continent will now be taken over by those living on the European mainland.

Leo and his clueless goons made no mention of that I see.

bactrian

First was this

The other ghastly horror on this ship is where are the truckers going to sleep?

Is it intended they bunk down in their cabs buried in the bowels of a dark and dank smelly hold.?
and then

Looking at photos and specs of this big mickey tin can , I find nothing indicating separate sleeping berths for the 600 unfortunate drivers who will be forced to spend 30 miserable hours probably sleeping in their cabs in dark smelly conditions.
And Then

Many thanks for the info.
Berth in cabin included.

What does that mean?

Are you sharing shower wc etc with 5 smelly continental types?

I have been on various ferries around the world.
Without exception they all stink , especially the sanitary accomm.

I have also done overnight crossings on these vessels and believe me sleep is rarely possible due to the noise and hum of the huge engines and if the seas are rough then forget it.
And Then
12 driver accompanied units
588 unaccompanied units.
This means the ferry operator loads and unloads the units.
What happens to all these 588 drivers?

Have they to hang around while the beast is unloaded ?
This is going to take some time .
Hm.

And then

What is Unaccompanied Freight?
Unaccompanied freight is the transport of wheeled freight without the driver and cab. Essentially, the freight vehicle is left at the quay side at the port by a driver (detached from the cab) and a tug master (small tractor) pulls the vehicle on and off the ship.

Seems then that the way this works is that driver unhitches the trailer at port and does not travel at all.
Another different driver on continent must then pick up.
588 is the proposed number.

Is not this then just a slight variation on the container shipping model?

I’d say the Irish lorry drivers will lose out big time in employment if my analysis of this model is correct.

Did Leo say anything about possible Irish job losses this during the launch of the big mickey ship?
The Field Marshal have you considered having an enema

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom