C& S agreement extended until 2020

hiding behind a poster

Then why isn't there spending? Where's the money going? Where are the houses, the return to affordable third-level, the functioning health service?

If the emergency is over... why hasn't it ended?
Spending has increased substantially in all the areas you refer to, and more public services are being delivered by more front-line staff than was the case when FG took office. I realise you've an aversion to the facts, but why don't you look up stuff like Irish government spending by department, year on year?

Fr. Ted Crilly

Spending has increased substantially in all the areas you refer to, and more public services are being delivered by more front-line staff than was the case when FG took office. I realise you've an aversion to the facts, but why don't you look up stuff like Irish government spending by department, year on year?
Because throwing money at the health service guarantees a better service, right?
One of the highest spends per head of capita in health in the OECD group.

Perhaps if the government could 'govern' and ensure that their HSE delivered what they should be delivering we'd be in a better place.

All one has to do is to look at the exploding cost of the children's hospital to see how inept FG and their HSE really are.

Marcos the black

I love how the legacy of austerity that's evident in every facet of Irish working-class society is explained as "your opinion" like I haven't watched my generation emigrate, fall victim to ageism in precarious work, cave to mental illness, and/or kill themselves. You pricks.
Austerity worked.
Just FYI...

Eventualities

And you have an aversion to the realities. Homelessness has increased exponentially in the last two governments, third-level has slowly been turned into a luxury consumer good, and have you been to the A&E in Limerick lately?

You and the rest of this 2+2=5 crowd need to log off and engage with the world.

Eventualities

Austerity worked.
Just FYI...
Yes, it did. For a small few.

It also had the exact social effects that Fine Gael sought: two-tiering of public services and resources, and the managed decline of rural Ireland.

Marcos the black

It also had the exact social effects that Fine Gael sought: two-tiering of public services and resources, and the managed decline of rural Ireland.
Better than an unmanaged decline of rural Ireland

APettigrew92

Austerity worked.
Just FYI...
If you take the most extreme definition of it - as in, it worked in a given way, then sure - but its results were certainly not intended to involve the emigration of a quarter of individuals born in the 90s, the influx of economic migrants to replace what amounts to a colossal loss of native labour and the annihilation of affordable housing and a homelessness crisis, then sure.

Neoliberal steroid austerity was an overwhelming success.

Didn't Ahern serve in a Haughey Government that was backed by an FG C & S agreement?
He may be a dope but even Ahern sees the writing on the wall. Martin has been in auto-pilot mode and the deal he has with FG essentially reduces him to a witless patsy who hasn't the guts to vote on principle.

Refusing to back no confidence motions in housing ministers because that would be siding with the enemy is laughably embarrassing.

They risk becoming even more irrelevant than at present. Why vote FF when FG are basically already FF?

hiding behind a poster

Because throwing money at the health service guarantees a better service, right?
One of the highest spends per head of capita in health in the OECD group.

Perhaps if the government could 'govern' and ensure that their HSE delivered what they should be delivering we'd be in a better place.

All one has to do is to look at the exploding cost of the children's hospital to see how inept FG and their HSE really are.
I never said spending guaranteed anything. The point I was making to the idiot in question was that, contrary to his claim, spending on public services is not still being cut, it's actually being increased.

Re your other points, I agree with you up to a point. I think this is one of the consequences of a minority C&S government - anything remotely radical in terms of reform gets shot down by Indos and FF, none of whom have the slightest interest in any reform that means actual change.

hiding behind a poster

And you have an aversion to the realities. Homelessness has increased exponentially in the last two governments
Of course it has, because the economic recovery happened quicker and more than anyone expected, meaning that population pressures from migrants and returning emigrants were being felt while the construction industry was still drowning in debt and constrained by sensible bank lending restrictions introduced after the bubble. There's billions now being spent every year to fix the housing crisis, but it takes time.

third-level has slowly been turned into a luxury consumer good,
No it hasn't.

and have you been to the A&E in Limerick lately?
No, but I was in one in Dublin recently, and it was excellent. But part of the problem is that while A&Es are processing more people with more staff than ever before, the culture of fixation with going to A&E for everything is proving stubbornly resistant to every effort to change it. Lots of people are clogging up A&Es when they should be going to their GP or their local primary care centre (hundreds built by FG in government since 2011), and that's before you even consider the fact that the worst times at A&Es are weekend nights. What does that tell you?

You and the rest of this 2+2=5 crowd need to log off and engage with the world.
I post facts. You post hard-left cliches that you don't even understand. Your laughable references to "show trials" proves that.

hiding behind a poster

No, it worked for everybody. 250,000 more people are in work, the vast majority of those jobs being full-time. Unemployment has dropped from 15% to 5%, while income tax/USC revenues are up by billions, despite the rates being cut several times and the bands being widened several times. The average taxpayer is over €2,000 a year better off in taxation alone compared to 2011.

Of course "austerity" wasn't much use to feckless wasters, but why should any government try to help them?

Eventualities

Of course it has, because the economic recovery happened quicker and more than anyone expected, meaning that population pressures from migrants and returning emigrants were being felt while the construction industry was still drowning in debt and constrained by sensible bank lending restrictions introduced after the bubble. There's billions now being spent every year to fix the housing crisis, but it takes time.
Singing off the Eoghan Murphy hymn sheet while 4000 children are homeless this Christmas. You're sick.

No, but I was in one in Dublin recently, and it was excellent. But part of the problem is that while A&Es are processing more people with more staff than ever before, the culture of fixation with going to A&E for everything is proving stubbornly resistant to every effort to change it. Lots of people are clogging up A&Es when they should be going to their GP or their local primary care centre (hundreds built by FG in government since 2011), and that's before you even consider the fact that the worst times at A&Es are weekend nights. What does that tell you?
That FG are inflexible with people's medical habits and unwilling to place a range of treatment within emergency access?

Eventualities

No, it worked for everybody. 250,000 more people are in work, the vast majority of those jobs being full-time. Unemployment has dropped from 15% to 5%, while income tax/USC revenues are up by billions, despite the rates being cut several times and the bands being widened several times. The average taxpayer is over €2,000 a year better off in taxation alone compared to 2011.

Of course "austerity" wasn't much use to feckless wasters, but why should any government try to help them?
Fake news from fiddled figures, fumbled by a feckless fool, fidgeting to fob off the furious.

The lads have been cooking the books. Look up the broad unemployment rates for the realities, instead of crossing off a whole generation that yours sold out as "wasters".